Storing Inside?

Thorpiticus

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys-
It's been a while since I've posted, but I'm glad to be back! I've got a storage conundrum that I could use your help with:

I'll be headed out of town for 10 days and, unless anyone in Auburn, Ala. has a garage they want to let me use, I'll be needing a place to leave my bike.

I'd prefer not to leave it outside, since the town will be empty for Spring Break, and I don't really want to pay a storage place. I've talked to my mechanic about it, but he doesn't have much room and would have to charge me unless I'm having some work done.

That brings me to my question: Is there any problem with storing the bike inside? I would obviously give it a good cleaning first and lay some newspaper down, but I wouldn't want to drain the tank or anything. I'm mainly worried about fumes. I also won't be running the A/C while I'm gone, so there'll be no air circulation.

Has anybody done this before? I've searched but don't see anything. I just know I'll get hell from the girlfriend if we come back and the whole place smells like 93 octane and 10w-40. Thanks!
-John

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There is no problem with this at all.
In Denmark some of the guys store their bikes in their living rooms every winter.

I would plug those couple of fuel lines under the bike..just in case and put some paper down and it should be fine.

I am sure some of the other guys will come up wit some ideas.

My mate keeps his Virago 1100 in his living room every winter and does not drain anything out of it and we cannot smell it. Which seems odd.

Steve

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
There is no problem with this at all.
In Denmark some of the guys store their bikes in their living rooms every winter.

I would plug those couple of fuel lines under the bike..just in case and put some paper down and it should be fine.

I am sure some of the other guys will come up wit some ideas.

My mate keeps his Virago 1100 in his living room every winter and does not drain anything out of it and we cannot smell it. Which seems odd.

Steve

I'm one of those Steve is referring to :)
I keep my Fiz inside the house for 3 months every winter, - and have no problems what so ever.
Don't plug the fuel lines, - the tank needs them to equalize pressure when the temperature fluctuates.
Unless the fuel tank is tilted, no fuel will spill out!

So just put her in the house, - it won't be a problem :)

MCFC21

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If I'm going away the Bike goes inside in the hall for security , If I had my way it woukld be indoors all the time but thats where I'm told Compp---her=== mise comes in . Something like that any way.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I know a few guys who bring their Harley's inside their mobile homes for servicing. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, you should be fine if you pull the FZ into your home. Lay down some cardboard and enjoy your trip.

Thorpiticus

Reaction score
Visit site
I appreciate everyone's help! Even though my apartments is not much bigger than my bike, I'd feel better having it safe while I'm away.

Fz6Sa, you mention not tilting the tank, but do you recommend leaving the bike on the center stand as opposed to the side stand?

Thanks! -John

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
we kept ours in the basement all winter. living room should be fine, just make sure there is something under it to protect your floors/carpets from the stand.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I appreciate everyone's help! Even though my apartments is not much bigger than my bike, I'd feel better having it safe while I'm away.

Fz6Sa, you mention not tilting the tank, but do you recommend leaving the bike on the center stand as opposed to the side stand?

Thanks! -John

Tanks wise it won't matter, - but it's always better to keep your rubber off the ground when you park for a longer period.
I always use my center at home, - and during winter storage I also mount a home made stand keeping the front wheel off the ground as well, - it will keep your tires in better shape.