Stock seat. Does it hurt you too?

WolfwoodFz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if its just cause im ive only been riding for two weeks, or if the seat is just uncomfortable. But after like an hour, my butt starts to hurt and im constantly adjusting myself to try to get comfortable.

Im just wondering if the stock seat is just that bad, or if its just me, or if i need to give it more time.

Thanks

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't like the stock seat for long distances.

Mike has a TS seat on his XJR and loves it.

One day I'll invest in one

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Last edited:

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For longer rides (relatively speaking for me) it starts to get uncomfortable. The longest ride I've ever done was 80 miles.

I find that if I start adjusting my seating position after I've been riding for a while, I get more uncomfortable. If I maintain the same position, it is fine for longer. If I start shifting around trying to get more comfortable, it has the opposite effect.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I find that if I start adjusting my seating position after I've been riding for a while, I get more uncomfortable. If I maintain the same position, it is fine for longer. If I start shifting around trying to get more comfortable, it has the opposite effect.

I'm the same, I sit absolutely still for as long as possible because once I move, that's it, discomfort arrives.

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
I get about three hours into a long ride and everything starts to hurt. I'm 6'1", and don't know if it's just the pegs feeling close or what, but I just play through the pain... Finding out what 39 really means I guess.

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, that seems to be a pretty common thing, that the stock seat can give you a sore rump after a while. I know I'm no exception to it. That being said, I've also heard biking shorts can help. Eventually, I'll probably fork out the funds for a new seat, myself. Until then, I don't mind taking a break after an hour or so anyway.

jab21

Reaction score
Visit site
Got my 07 about 6 weeks ago after being off a bike for 10 years. Handful of short rides and then, last Thursday/Friday, rode from Birmingham to Pensacola, FL and back (530 mi. round trip) in an 18-hour period. Joe Rocket pants, stock seat and a lot of interstate made the trip seem pretty long. Would like to do some touring but I'll have to look into a new seat before I do too much more of that. Good tip on the biker shorts though...don't know that I would have thought about that. Crampbuster may have been the best $10 I've ever spent!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Terrible saddle. I bought a Corbin. Just don't get the "carbon fiber" cover, slides too much.

Jamie - I NEVER got the money for the saddle....

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the stock seat as well. I can do about 8 hours in the saddle and then I hit the wall. I need to get off the bike ASAP. That said, the longest I have ridden is 10 hours in a day. A bottle of wine and a dip in a hot tub did wonders. Ready for 8 more hours the next day... I am hoping to track down a comfortable seat for my FZ soon. Just to set aside so funds. Any recommendations?

My hubbie got a Celery seat from France for his VFR800. His seat is better but it doesn't help with discomfort in the frontal area. He wears some athletic shorts with a built-in cup. Keeps parts from getting numb. Might want to try that if you have issues in that area.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried sending the original to Spencer,buying a Corbin and finally settled for a modified (longer ad higher) Corbin. My ass is now happy.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using tapatalk HD

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hard to tell only having the FZ for 4 days now but once I start taking it to school (50mi round trip), I'll have a better idea what I want to do. Seems like my wrist gets achey quicker than on my Ninja 250 (stronger throttle return spring?) so I definitely plan to install a cruise control for longer distances.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had the same problem with my wrist. I find if I use my core "pull" my weight off my wrist it helps a lot. I have a throttle lock that helps too for longer rides. I'm jealous. I only have a 9 mile ride to work. I'm looking for longer routes so I can enjoy my ride longer.:rockon:

TheSandman13

Reaction score
Visit site
The stock seat is a pain the ass (literally). I was hating it after 100 miles. I just used the Airhawk R seat pad for the first time yesterday, and it made a big difference. I rode about 250 miles total. I think I could go 400 to 500 miles without a problem now. It took a little while to get used to it. You sit a little higher in the seat. I read a lot of things about it before I used it, so I knew not to put too much air in it.

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a firm believer in the Airhawk-R. Best comfort seating system out there. Corbin and all others are way too expensive.

The NEW AIRHAWK R Motorcycle Seat Cushion

Try it, and you'll never ride on anything else.

Just did a 1200 mile trip over a weekend and I NEVER once had ANY discomfort. Once again, NEVER once had ANY discomfort.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if its just cause im ive only been riding for two weeks, or if the seat is just uncomfortable. But after like an hour, my butt starts to hurt and im constantly adjusting myself to try to get comfortable.

Im just wondering if the stock seat is just that bad, or if its just me, or if i need to give it more time.

Thanks
Yes

Nelly

I did my own gel seat conversion,
http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/42706-how-make-gel-seat.html
The gel part came from a discarded operating theatre table cover that was decommissioned.

Last edited by a moderator:

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had the same problem with my wrist. I find if I use my core "pull" my weight off my wrist it helps a lot. I have a throttle lock that helps too for longer rides. I'm jealous. I only have a 9 mile ride to work. I'm looking for longer routes so I can enjoy my ride longer.:rockon:
Thanks for the tip!! Yeah I have a nice commute though it's mostly highway (which will be more fun now with the FZ than my Ninja250)