Spring is near!! Lightweight riding jacket?

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all, I'm browsing online for a nice lightweight riding jacket as the spring is near! I have a Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0 leather jacket, and while I love it, I'd like to pick up something that's a little less "ready to shoot me out of a cannon-ish". So I guess something textile/mesh that's easy to wear in the heat. You prob know what I'm talking about. Anyhoo, can anyone point me in the right direction please? I feel like I could spend hours going through all the different brands online and I'm looking for a shortcut please :thumbup:

Thanks!
Craig

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Joe Rocket Pheonix 5.0 (Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 Jacket - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore). It was my first jacket and living in Houston, TX it certainly flows enough air. Having said that I bought an Olympia Motosport Voyager jacket which is a vented textile jacket and has a great venting system.

Thankfully I haven't tested either jacket's crash resistance, but I think that the Olympia would offer more protection so I'll probably wear that right up until it just gets too hot for it and then switch to the JR.

If I were buying a new jacket I would look at this one from Olympia Olympia Moto Sports - GT Air All Seasons Transition Jacket

FLuK28

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Joe Rocket alter ego 2.0 and it has removable panels (chest, back and forearms) that come out to reveal the mesh undearneath, however it still has the elbow, shoulder and back pads.

To be honest i haven't tried it yet but it seems great and exactly what I was looking for. Especially because it has a removable rain liner that tucks into a small pouch in your lower back.

Check out the reviews here :

Joe Rocket Alter Ego 2.0 Jacket - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Whatever specific brand and model you decide on, I'd suggest keeping an eye on New Enough sells motorcycle jackets, helmets, gloves, luggage, tires, parts, etc. :: New Enough for their most steeply discounted gear.... you can buy vented summer gear in the dead of winter for extremely good pricing.

Mesh gear for well under $100 is not that uncommon. It's usually last year's design, and it is the closeout selection..... XXL and S, etc.... but the prices make it very, very hard to beat.

If you find something that appeals, you won't be disappointed in their customer service.

I'd suggest that you need CE armor at the elbows, shoulder, and a spine protector.... beyond that the brand is pretty much a throwaway consideration. If the construction is double or triple stitched to ensure the seams don't fail, and the armor is protected with some material that isn't likely to wear away too quickly, it's probably a good design.

Features? Liners that increase the temp range the jacket is useful for are good. Adjustment systems that don't use elastic are important.... what good is the armor if it moves due to the retention system when you need it?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have this jacket.
Joe Rocket Yamaha Champion Mens Mesh Jacket - Tobefast

I ride east of here in summer desert conditions. It is next to impossible wearing full leather @ 109 deg.F. so I split it up by wearing my leather bottoms and a textile upper. This jacket is well designed and quality made with a removable water/wind proof liner. They even thought to off set the inner liner zipper that includes a flap that really blocks wind in cooler weather which makes this jacket the most versatile I own. I have four Jackets. The leather is always my first choice and I wear that until I'm almost ready to pass out. When I wear any of these I wear full sleeved under armor or T-shirt so all of my arms are covered.

B Rizzle

Reaction score
Visit site
I rock the Scorpion hat trick. Not 100% mesh, but enough mesh to keep you cool. It has two removable liners, one wind/waterproof and one thermal that dont make the jacket too bulky, even with both of them in. One of my favorite features is that the jacket has a higher collar for wet or colder temps but the collar is only connected to the wind/waterproof liner. that way your neck isn't covered on those extra hot days.

Some colors are even on sale at New Enough and they are great folks to deal with.

Sparky10

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know what you consider lightweight. I have a Dainese Laguna Seca perforated that flows so much air, it is uncomfortable below the mid 70s. In fact, I got it on close out last October. There was only one day that was warm enough for me to wear it. It is black leather, but I don't find that to be too unbearable in Alabama heat, as I have ridden for two years in a Frank Thomas perf leather jacket. As long as I am moving, it is fine. And when I am stopped at a light, I get just enough sweat on me to really cool me off when the wind hits it after I start moving again, it seams.

Since the Dainese does not have a liner, I bought a Joe Rocket Balistic textile. I plan to wear that as long as it is too cool to wear the Dainese. It also seems to have really good venting that I can open up when the weather gets warmer, as well as remove the liner, so I will probably also be wearing that when I will still be out after dark until it stays in the 70s after dark.

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the comments so far!! I did as some of you said and went on to NewEnough.com and bam, first page they have a Joe Rocket Atomic 3.0 jacket on sale for $69!! Not exactly what I was looking for, but for that price I had to jump on it... just thought I would point this deal out to any of those who may be interested. I actually used to have this jacket before the one I have now, but sold it because it was a size too big and went with a used Sonic 2.0 I found on ebay. It's a very high quality jacket and I'm looking forward to one that I know will fit. I will keep browsing other suggestions for what I'm really looking for, but couldn't pass that up. :Flash:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
This jacket is amazing, perfect for spring and summer, comes in black and yellow. Zodiac Jacket - British Motorcycle Gear

I have to agree with this one. I had one and loved it, but be forewarned...the sizing runs REALLY small. I'm usually a XL-XXL in most jackets, but I had to exchange mine for a 3XL. Very nice jacket, though!

Knabel

Reaction score
Visit site

I rock the Joe Rocket Phoenix.
Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 Textile Jacket - KneeDraggers.com

I have the Grey/Silver/Black. Wife says I am very visible when she follows me.

I love the adjustable armor. I am just ordered the CE rated back pad...probably overkill, but in the name of safety...

Comes with a waterproof liner. It's a plastic liner. Does not breath, but definitely stops the wind. May be the farm roots, but I wear an insulated flannel shirt under it and am warm on the highway to about 45 degrees fahrenheit / 7 celsius.

Favorite features:
1. Soft felt lined breast pocket. I use it for phone or glasses.

2. All logos are sewn on. I hate big huge logos....feel like a walking billboard. I carefully cut the threads and removed most of the Joe Rocket patches. Left the 2 small ones on the shoulders for now.

Summary, very comfy. Held up well through 1 season and frequent washings (don't like smelly jackets).

wlaroche

Reaction score
Visit site
To those that have the Phoenix 5.0 jacket. I am not real tall, 6'1", but I hate jackets that rise up. I currently have a New Enough mesh tex in a large tall size. It fits pretty well and the cooling is awesome, but without tightening straps at the elbow pads, the pads just flop around on my arms. I thought about adding straps, but am not sure what that would do to the integrity of the jacket. For those of you who have the Phoenix 5.0 jacket, how tall are you? Does it feel to short?

bushboarder

moved on up
Reaction score
Visit site
To those that have the Phoenix 5.0 jacket. I am not real tall, 6'1", but I hate jackets that rise up. I currently have a New Enough mesh tex in a large tall size. It fits pretty well and the cooling is awesome, but without tightening straps at the elbow pads, the pads just flop around on my arms. I thought about adding straps, but am not sure what that would do to the integrity of the jacket. For those of you who have the Phoenix 5.0 jacket, how tall are you? Does it feel to short?

Can't speak to the Phoenix jacket but I do have the Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket in tall/large. The arm length is just about perfect for me, but the torso is a touch long. I'm 6'2", I guess a little too long is better than too short. If you just fold the bottom up a bit it won't bunch to much in the mid-section. I would imagine that the tall sizes for JR would run about the same between their model lines.

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
HOLY COW! What is this thing??

Alpinestars Bionic 2 Protection Motorcycle Jacket :: New Enough

Has anyone ever messed with one of these before? I'd be afraid if I rolled on my back I'd be flopping around like a turtle. I really like the mesh separation of the pads though.

Interesting. One question I have with mesh jackets is whether the elbow armour will stay in place when you need it. It looks like this jacket addresses that issue very well and it has chest protection...