Some thoughts...

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
Norm’s thoughts on riding at 30,000 miles of age:

• It is a more risky mode of transportation than a car and requires constant vigilance of road surface conditions including imperfections, sand, and gravel.
• Most bikes are capable of rapid changes in speed which is a two-edged sword. Throttle responsibility and braking finesse are an acquired taste that will increase your safety.
• Mastering the clutch will tame even the most powerful bikes
• Negotiating turns is a never ending learning process.
• The greatest challenge in small group rides is resisting the urge to show off.
• Slow speed agility keeps your bike and your pride intact
• High speed precision always involves counter steer.
• Explaining the attraction of bikes to those who have never ridden is impossible.
• If you can ride on an interstate for 2 hours and through a major metropolitan city during rush hour and make it home alive you have what it takes to be a rider. Do it twice and you are now a rider: Go forth with more “on the job training.” A reasonable goal is 10,000 miles in 2 years or less time in varying conditions on varying roads at which point you are no longer a rookie.
• If intersections do not make you at least a little nervous your premises are incorrect.
• Riding is a labor of love. Maintaining the bike, wearing gear, calculating carry-ons, and hyper vigilance are all cancelled by the wave of a fellow rider.
• A healthy approach to riding involves reflection of its dangers when off the bike and ongoing assessment of risks while on it.
• A pillion should not be taken on until after rookie status (above). The common wisdom of 1000 miles is much too little.
• The Fountain of Youth has been discovered and it is called riding.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Norm’s thoughts on riding at 30,000 miles of age:

• If you can ride on an interstate for 2 hours and through a major metropolitan city during rush hour and make it home alive you have what it takes to be a rider. Do it twice and you are now a rider: Go forth with more “on the job training.” A reasonable goal is 10,000 miles in 2 years or less time in varying conditions on varying roads at which point you are no longer a rookie.

I've done this maybe 10 or 12 times this year, hitting rush hour/ stop and go traffic on 4 or 5 occasions. It amazes me that I can ride back roads for 5 or 6 hours, get off the bike and feel ready to ride another 4 or 5 hours. But if I put in 100 miles on the highway, even without the city traffic, I'm wiped out. :) In the next year or two I want to make a cross country run but I was thinking I'm going to have to start training for that next summer.