Small knocking sound at front wheel

karl1213

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys I have a small knocking noise coming from the front wheel. If i go over a bump you can hear it and also when the bike is on the centre stand and you sort of wobble the wheel you can hear it. There is no play in the forks.

Is it normal or a sign that my bearings are on its way out

thanks karl

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

UHcougarJohn

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine knocked intermitenly just rolling down the road at all speeds.

Its easy to check pull the front wheel and check out the bearings. It they look bad or they don't roll smoothly on your fingers you will know.

Also, when mine went bad I could tell as soon as I saw them, and they had started to chew the insert in the wheel.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+100 ^^^^^

Also, if you can "wobble the front wheel" while raised, there's not much else to fail BUT the bearings...

I would address it ASAP. You don't want them failing and binding at an in-opportune time....

Great info BTW for trouble shooting!! :thumbup:

LFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like head bearings. We just replaced mine. Put it on the center stand, put a jack under the headers, lift the front wheel about an inch off off the ground, then grab both front forks and move front to back. You will feel it. Just replaced mine toward end of season last year.

karl1213

Reaction score
Visit site
Just checked my head bearings and they are all good. So I started to shake the front tyre and started to touch stuff near by to see if I could locate the noise.

Just about to give up, but before I did I squeezed the front brake and the noise stopped. The noise is coming from the calipers.

Next move I suppose would be to take them off and see if the noise is still there

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Another factor could be the axle bolt not being tight. If the wheel physical moves side to side, loosen the pinch bolt and tighten the axle. Manually push the forks together and tighten the pinch bolt.

Are your brakes spongy and then get firm the harder they are applied? If so, the wheel **may be moving** and something needs corrected!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Plus 1 on the possible loose axle ^^^^ BUT DO NOT PUSH THE FORK LEGs together when tightening the pinch bolt. (Page 4-7 Yamaha S1 shop manual)

Put the bike on the ground, axle tight, pinch bolt just shy of snug. Push up and down on the forks with the front brake on.

The forks will find their "happy spot", then tighten the pinch bolt.

What year bike is yours BTW?

Last edited:

karl1213

Reaction score
Visit site
Cheers guys. Its a 2009 with 15k. The dealer put new tyres on before I brought it but I wouldn't expect them to mess something so simple up.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cheers guys. Its a 2009 with 15k. The dealer put new tyres on before I brought it but I wouldn't expect them to mess something so simple up.

If the issue started soon after the tire change, my $'s on they screwed up something..

Wouldn't be the first time something happens, even as easy as it is. (forgot spacer, etc)..

karl1213

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't have the bike before the tyre change so don't know if it was doing it or not. Might have to book it in for a check up

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If the issue started soon after the tire change, my $'s on they screwed up something..

Wouldn't be the first time something happens, even as easy as it is. (forgot spacer, etc)..

Shop manual or not we'll have to agree to disagree... All things being equal, unless something is bent, all components align happily and the calipers align over the rotor as they should. If pulling the legs together induces some binding on your forks traverse, its because the stanchion(s) tubes are bent...

Please offer a logical reason why there should be a gap!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Shop manual or not we'll have to agree to disagree... All things being equal, unless something is bent, all components align happily and the calipers align over the rotor as they should. If pulling the legs together induces some binding on your forks traverse, its because the stanchion(s) tubes are bent...

Please offer a logical reason why there should be a gap!

We've discussed this before.

Besides the manual, the forks are going to operate better (probably very slightly).

When their pushed in together, VS leaving them at their "natural", "at rest state", your literally setting them c0ckeyed,
along with RIGHT SIDE caliper as well (left is fixed as the axle screws into the fork and there's no moving it)

As you stated "if ALL things align properly on their own" (as they should), why would you induce forcing a fork leg in?

What does that accomplish? There's simply no reason for it.

Just my 2cts

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
1) If nothing is wrong you're not Forcing anything.
2) Returning it to its origin centers the caliper over the rotor.

Have you ever seen one with a gap? If so, something is likely bent.

I've completely repeated myself and have nothing to say.

Do what seems right for your bike....