Side Pod Mod

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
I have red 2007, and I was never crazy about the black side pods with the kind of cheesy decal on top. I always coveted the full red side pods from 2006 models, but they cost in the neighborhood of $60 each, so I resisted the temptation to buy them new. A while back, someone was parting out a wrecked 2006 - it had the red pods, but they had a little road rash. I thought maybe I could hide the rash with a decal or do something, so I went ahead and bought them for about $20 each if I recall correctly. The rash was right where you would expect, on the part that sticks out the farthest. I experimented with some different potential decal shapes, using black electrical tape until I came up with something that looked reasonably OK. Then I took the shape made of tape off of the pod, stuck it to a piece of sheet metal, and cut out a pattern. I bought some black decal material online, cut out two decals, and stuck them on the pods. The result is shown below:
attachment.php

attachment.php

So, do they look OK, or should I have just bought new all-red ones?

Last edited:

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
i must say they look nice.. the decal you made isn t intrusive and does not hide a lot of colour

Pauly_V

Reaction score
Visit site
1. What "pods" are you referring to? Apparently, I'm not doing well today.

2. What luggage rack is that? Where can I find one? Is it custom?

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
1. What "pods" are you referring to? Apparently, I'm not doing well today.

Oops, sorry if I was not clear. By side pods I mean the plastic trim pieces below the seat. Hopefully this will clear up any confusion:

attachment.php

2. What luggage rack is that? Where can I find one? Is it custom?

That is a Shad rack and 29 liter top case. I think I have mentioned them in previous posts. It is not custom. Search for "SirIsaac" and "Shad" and I think you'll find information on how to mount and where to find. If you cannot, let me know.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
They look excellent.

Love your Avatar! Haha!
Good afternoon gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became operational at the HAL lab in Urbana Illinois on the 12th of January 1992......:rof:

"Will I dream Dave?"

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks great, except your hugger looks a bit out of place now IMHO...maybe paint that red too?

:thumbup:

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
They look excellent.

Thanks!
Love your Avatar! Haha!
Good afternoon gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became operational at the HAL lab in Urbana Illinois on the 12th of January 1992......:rof:

"Will I dream Dave?"

I like it too. 2001:A Space Odyssey - Arguably (in that I will argue it) the best movie ever made.

Looks great, except your hugger looks a bit out of place now IMHO...maybe paint that red too?

:thumbup:

I think it looks great. I agree with Wolfman though about the hugger.

Paint it red :)

Yes, I agree. That's why I had my hugger painted (had a body shop use the liquid-gold priced colorrite paint), was dissatisfied with color match and took it off. The tale of woe is told in this forum. I may try again someday, right now the wound is still too tender...

I agree too, looks great. Maybe add a stripe down each side of the tank to tie in with the side pods?? (Or would that be overkill??)

:rockon:

I had not thought of that, might or might not be overkill. It took me while to come up with my simple design, so I'm not sure I have the flair for much more. Feel free to draw up some suggestions.