Shad top master and pelican case install

B Rizzle

Reaction score
Visit site
I was going to make this a how to, but I got kind of side tracked with the project and forgot to take the "how to" type pictures so I'll just post some details about the install and, of course, pics!

Rack:
As far as the shad rack goes install is a little tricky and I highly recommend having a friend help you. This way, the friend can help manipulate the rack while you fiddle with the screws to get everything lined up. Dont tighten anything down until all the screws are in place! Once you get everything started though it's pretty easy from there, though I did have to "persuade" one of the spacers for the grab rail with a screwdriver for it to fit right.

Case:
I wanted a pelican case because they are tough as nails, but also because they don't look like a giant bubble. I had decided that i was going with the shad rack because of how unobtrusive it is so I had to come up with a way to mount a pelican case to the bike. I wanted it to be lockable (the 1550 has padlcok holes) but I also wanted it to be easily removable but also be able to, in some fashion, lock it ONTO the bike. I searched several different options before I came across Caribou cases in a thread on ADV rider.

New Pelican-based Luggage System - ADVrider

Pelican Based Adventure Motorcycle Luggage - For BMW KLR-650 Suzuki V-Strom KTM Ducati Honda...

The founder of Caribou basically made up a pelican based luggage system, mainly meant for ADV riders. There is however a universal mount top case kit that will work with most any luggage rack so thats what I decided to get.

The kit comes with everything you need to mount it up but the best part is that the case comes with a lock installed to lock the lid and that is keyed alike with a lock that locks it to the rack... Drill a few holes, bolt on the rack and you're ready to roll!

This is the rack that is paired with the case. Notice that there are also several tie down points for using the rack without the case. (Rack is backwards in picture)

IMGP2369.jpg

Once you get everything drilled you're left with a pretty low profile, waterproof, and ultra rugged lockable topcase!

IMGP2376.jpg

Here is a closer pic of the two locks (keyed alike). The bottom lock is actually a compression lock that you twist in to place that keeps the case tightly planted to the rack.

IMGP2377.jpg

A profile shot. I had a passenger on before mounting was permanent and this position didn't interfere with butt placement and also makes a decent backrest:

IMGP2374.jpg

Closer pic from the side:

IMGP2375.jpg

Weight test. Handled this with no problem at all. Dont really plan for more than this to be in the case at once but it was solid.

IMGP2373.jpg

I dont work for caribou or anything, but the quality of the set up is top notch and the turnaround time was amazing. The case is said to be 35 liters. Any questions just post up!

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
very clean install..

But get some high level brake lights..thats one hell of a overhang..no truck or soccer mom will ever see your brake light under that box

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
very clean install..

But get some high level brake lights..thats one hell of a overhang..no truck or soccer mom will ever see your brake light under that box

Great advice.

Case looks great, if I were to get a case..It would likely be that one. I like the utilitarian look of it.

B Rizzle

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I've got a couple of things in the works... I've got some hyperlites from my old scoot to hook up, but I've got some other ideas as well..

I'd like to avoid mounting anything permanently to the case, but we'll see.

The rack itself was around $120 from cycleluggage.com and the cases can be had on caribou's site in a few different sizes. The one I went with was like $305 (USD)...

The owner of caribou, Roger, has been very active and helpful on ADV rider. I sent him an email about the install and received a reply within 15 minutes. Amazing IMO.

darkbluexplorer

ATGATT - Live by it!
Reaction score
Visit site
So my better half is going to kill me but you only live once! I just ran across your thread while trying to figure out how to mount my Pelican luggage i just purchased. I got the SW Motech quick lock side mounts for side cases but your thread is genius for the top case. Just one question did the shad rack have drill points for the caribou top plate? or is this one i am going to have to drill through? cant wait to get riding again after all my medical stuff is done!

mayassa

Reaction score
Visit site
So my better half is going to kill me but you only live once! I just ran across your thread while trying to figure out how to mount my Pelican luggage i just purchased. I got the SW Motech quick lock side mounts for side cases but your thread is genius for the top case. Just one question did the shad rack have drill points for the caribou top plate? or is this one i am going to have to drill through? cant wait to get riding again after all my medical stuff is done!

So are you just using the caribou top plate ($90)?