setback plates Installed and gp shift swap

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently used this method to install the setback plates. Maybe I'm retarded or something but I had to use 7 washers per bolt, plus 2 washers to shim the shifter arm, in order to get it to work:

3430054395_83e03d9393_b.jpg

3430054457_f715a0e04c_b.jpg

You can see the 7 washers in this shot - I am bracing for someone to tell me what a bad idea this is:

3430866858_1b0e93677d_b.jpg

Here's a pic of the Suburban Machinery bars - they work great, they do not touch the fairing, screen or tank and there is some room even at full lock. Note that I do have the Pazzo (short) levers, not the stock levers.

3430054317_36436f7eef_b.jpg

I also took the opportunity, with the two extra washers I had leftover, to finally fix my crappy job on my fender eliminator. It looks good now, not hanging pointed down straight at the tire:

3430866620_57e0443ea0_b.jpg

Thanks again to Louis oso2k for the setback plates! They look fantastic.

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
You can see the 7 washers in this shot - I am bracing for someone to tell me what a bad idea this is:

3430866858_1b0e93677d_b.jpg

I think you'd be better off to put the plate against the frame. You want to keep a strong mount point. I'd also be concerned about sheering off a bolt in the frame with that many shims on it.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
But then how do you get the linkage through the frame? If you put in an "S" bend, you can't turn the linkage to adjust the shifter position - nor can you remove the setback plates and use the original linkage in the original position.

Believe me, I'd rather do it without the shims!

EDIT: I suppose I could try to shim out the rearsets from the setback plate, to have the plate bolted directly to the frame. Do you think this would be a better idea?

Last edited:

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
Pete, I pored over all available information/posts when trying to figure this out (including the one you link to above!). What am I missing here? Again, keeping in mind that I am trying to avoid bending the shift linkage!

Thanks in advance!

You really want to to keep plate mounted against the frame. I don't want to imagine what happens at high revs (the vibes) or in the case of an accident (possibly crack the lower part of the frame or engine). Poutanen had the idea of creating a slave lever (similar to what rizoma did for their sets) to keep the shifter shaft in the frame. There's a chance that you mount the plate against the frame and then shim the rearset against the plate, but I just hope that you don't need 7 shims to get to to clear the frame (2 or MAYBE 3 should be safe).

Or you can do what my customizer did:
176247d1225995898-fz6-rearset-set-back-plates-sale-shift-side.jpg

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pete, I pored over all available information/posts when trying to figure this out (including the one you link to above!). What am I missing here? Again, keeping in mind that I am trying to avoid bending the shift linkage!

Thanks in advance!

The bend like what I did, the cut weld what Louis did or what Gosling1 did are the only methods I know if. The bend is really easy to do and the part is only $4.50. I was to lazy to take mine to the welders so I bent it.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. I like both suggestions, though as I said I'd love to be able to put it all back to stock for the long trip that I hope to do someday. Louis, yours looks awesome and I'd love to have it done but then I am stuck with it permanently - it does look very nice and I'm sure the hard mount feels and shifts better.

I think I'll take Pete's suggestion and order the part - Pete, where did you get yours for $5?

However, in the near term I have a track day on Friday. I think in the meantime I will either split the washers between the current spot and between the plate and the rearset, or maybe even try bolting the plate directly on the frame (which is the best, safest solution I realize) and see how many shims are required between the plate and the rearset to get my linkage outside of the frame.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate the assistance!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. I like both suggestions, though as I said I'd love to be able to put it all back to stock for the long trip that I hope to do someday. Louis, yours looks awesome and I'd love to have it done but then I am stuck with it permanently - it does look very nice and I'm sure the hard mount feels and shifts better.

I think I'll take Pete's suggestion and order the part - Pete, where did you get yours for $5?

However, in the near term I have a track day on Friday. I think in the meantime I will either split the washers between the current spot and between the plate and the rearset, or maybe even try bolting the plate directly on the frame (which is the best, safest solution I realize) and see how many shims are required between the plate and the rearset to get my linkage outside of the frame.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate the assistance!

Good ole' Ron Ayers. :D