setback plates Installed and gp shift swap

mattcosta7

Reaction score
www.matthewcostabile.com
I picked up a pair of rearset setback plates the other day from oso2k. Finally had time to throw them on today. I also have been interested in trying out the GP style shifting, 1 up - 2-6 down, so I took the opportunity to try both at once.

To mount the plates, and have the shift rod function without hitting the frame, I used four washers, to elevate the plate from the frame. Bolted the rearset direct to the plate. Seems more than sturdy enough, as I decided it best to test out by putting all of my weight on the pegs, which didn't move in the slightest. I'm really impressed with the look and quality of the plates themselves, but didn't get a good image of them prior to installing.

As far as the GP shifting, I haven't put many miles on with it yet, but tomorrow that will change. So far it feels different, but not bad. If I don't like it, the switch back is simple enough. All I did was flip the shift link and because of this and the spacers, I DON'T need to cut/weld the pedal link

I seriously need to paint my rearsets

sb1.jpg

sb2.jpg

sb3.jpg

Last edited:

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't look bad but would look better all black;) How does the position of the rearsets feel compared to stock?

DonahuePhoto

Reaction score
Visit site
EXCELLENT!!!!! I have been looking for an alternative to the stock footpeg position, but cant exactly drop $500 on Rizoma's or Gilles' without breaking my bank.

is there any way to retain the stock shift pattern>? idk if i would like the reverse style shifting.

mattcosta7

Reaction score
www.matthewcostabile.com
EXCELLENT!!!!! I have been looking for an alternative to the stock footpeg position, but cant exactly drop $500 on Rizoma's or Gilles' without breaking my bank.

is there any way to retain the stock shift pattern>? idk if i would like the reverse style shifting.

Loosen the shift arm, 1 bolt.
Take the linkage off (loosen 2 nuts and spin it)
rotate the shift arm to be UNDER the transmission input shaft, rather than above.

Retighten all nuts/bolts/linkage and you're done.

Super simple swap!

All you need is a 10 mm wrench to switch from 1 up shifting to 1 down shifting.

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very cool, thanks for posting photos. I bought a pair of these during the first order and haven't fiddled with them yet. Reason being was the shifter issue. Have to try it now.

mattcosta7

Reaction score
www.matthewcostabile.com
In case anyone's curious, I've got 2 hex bolts on each side holding the rearset to the setback plate. They're 1.5" long, 5/16" diameter bolt, 1/2" head. (home depot sells no metric bolts, wtf?)

5 washers on each stock frame hole, separate the setback from the frame. I used the stock allen bolts in these spots. The stock nub that goes from the frame into the rearset DOESN'T go through the setback plate as it sits now, because of the washers pushing the plate off the frame.

I attempted at first to use the spacers between the setback and the rearset, but this proved to be much less stable.

As it is now, there's no more movement in the rearset than there was stock, but the position is much more comfortable for me. After the Clipons went on, I was feeling cramped, since my knees were feeling into my chest. With the new position of the rearsets, I feel more freer. Wasn't up to riding today, still recovering from last night, but tomorrow I'll give a more detailed impression of riding with them.

Overall time for installation, LESS than one hour.
-NOTE: This includes coming to the realization that I had no bolt of the proper length in my possession, driving to Home Depot, waiting on their checkout line, driving home, and installing WHILE watching the Phillip's Island GP.

There's JUST enough space for the shift am to fit between the frame and the rearset without rubbing on either...there's actually alittle bit of room to spare, both in GP and normal shifting situations

mattcosta7

Reaction score
www.matthewcostabile.com
I LOVE the setback. So much more comfortable with the clipons. Not to mention it's alot easier to shift around on the bike, and even easier to get the weight side to side.

GP shifting took a second to get used to, but overall it's alittle nicer for situations where upshifting under acceleration and out of the corner. Not TOO much different other than that.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool, thanks again for the photos and the info.

Yeah HD and Lowe's really suck when it comes to metric bolts.

BTW...what kind clip-on are you using? The CBXs?

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Great timing! I just got the setbacks from oso2k last week and have been contemplating how I would be putting them on. Think I'll try your method but keep it 1 down 5 up.

hedmisten

handegraphix.com
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool, thanks again for the photos and the info.

Yeah HD and Lowe's really suck when it comes to metric bolts.

BTW...what kind clip-on are you using? The CBXs?

Stole my question out of my mouth. I would also like to know what clipons you are using and how the install went?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Photos are still there. Browser refresh?

Tried that earlier, did not work, but can see them now???:confused:

Nice job re the rearset adjusters. you should notice a big improvement if you have put lower bars on the bike.

Am just about to go to custom rearsets myself, as i thought of doing what you have done, but i just dont like the flex that is in the rubber mounted OEM set.

Once again, great job, agreed they would look better black.

:thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^ That is an excellent point on the flex, I'm mixed. I like the idea of a solid mounting point that aftermarket rearsets would provide, however for everyday riding the rubber mounts are great.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^ That is an excellent point on the flex, I'm mixed. I like the idea of a solid mounting point that aftermarket rearsets would provide, however for everyday riding the rubber mounts are great.

True enough re the rubber mounts for everyday riding comfort, but when riding harder, the flex is very noticeable, as is the soft nature of the standard rear brake lever...have bent mine about 4 times now!

:eek:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bent it! Holy cow! I barely use my rear brake, mine is set to mush so I don't lock the rear wheel.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bent it! Holy cow! I barely use my rear brake, mine is set to mush so I don't lock the rear wheel.

Lets just say there are times with the 2 pot front calipers, that you need all the help you can get to pull the little FZ6 up when you weigh 107kg's!

Hence why i dont like the flex, etc, too...am a bit on the "beefy' side...

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Got the plates installed today using Matt's method with the 5 washers per bolt on the left side. I kept it 1 down 5 up though, it really is as simple as unbolting the shift rod and rotating the mount thing around. I also tested them out with all my weight (especially the offset side) and had no problem with my 200 lbs.

I originally grabbed some 5/16" bolts like Matt, but the only ones I could find were 1 inch long, and I didn't want to risk it being just barely long enough, so I made a trip to TrueValue today and picked up some M8 1.25 thread pitch bolts. They had a 6mm allen key head too, same as the OEM ones. I think it looks more OEM than hex head bolts, but they were more expensive at about 2 bucks each compared to less than a buck for 3 hex heads.

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey! Thanks for posting this up guys. afpreppie, do you have a separate thread on your install? And for those interested, I have 6 sets of Black left and I'm trying to get another run of Silver. If I have enough interest, I'll also pick up a run of Black.