Saturn/Opel Astra

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What do you guys think? Keira and i have been looking at some new (or new to us) cars for when the baby comes and this fits the bill to what we are looking for. We want something that os big enough for the dog, us, the kid, and some stuff, so a 5 door is a perfect car. we don't want anything too big either. With all the economy things going on GM has some good promotions going on so it might make sense for us to move on something soon. The Saturn Astra is made in Belgium and is supposedly the same car as the Opal Astra overseas.

Do any of you have any experience with these cars? Thoughts?

ag_08astra5dr_leftfront.jpg

ag_08astra5dr_rightrear.jpg

2009-Saturn-Astra-08130121990003.jpg

2008saturnastradoublesunroof01fixedsmall.jpg

Last edited:

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Saturn/Opal Astra

The Saturn/Opel Astra is a great car. For some reason it is being ignored by the GM marketing types. The car has very favorable press reviews. It handles great, has a decent amount of space, snappy performance with the manual transmission, and feels like a much bigger car. It is GM's best small car ever produced. That and the Saturn buying experience is favorable. I would give the Astra serious consideration. I do not own one, but I test drove a few when I was looking at them. Ultimately I needed a bigger car, so I bought a used '03 L300.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I've had a few Astras (Vauxhall(opel(GM))). Great cars, reliable, good engines. Not sure about the looks, they do a 3 door coupe one which is pretty stylish. My favorite was the Mk1 GTE.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

That's a smart looking little car. Reminds me of the Caliber.

I owned a Saturn for about three years and found it to be a really well-made car. I am shopping for a new car. I had not seen this car, but it's now on my list. Others that I was considering include the Honda Fit (tiny), and the Mazda 5 (mini-mini-van) and 3.

B

bluenova

I have a 1.7D 2005 Opel Astra Estate

Pros...
-Very ecenomical engine, but still has a reasonable amount of power.
-It's like a Tardis (seems bigger on the inside than on the outside)
-Nice driving position
-Handles very well for an estate
-Climate control works great just left on 'Auto' compared to others I have used
-Very reliable (for the most part)

Cons...
-Some parts are expencive (alternator for one)
-Depreciates quickly so resell value is not so good
-Rack and rake steering wheel has dropped on one side making the controls lopsided, apprently it's an issue with astras and would require a whole new steering wheel assembly to sort it
-Suspension is quite hard and can make for quite a bumpy ride, especially if light loaded.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

we test drove the 2 door as it was the 5 speed and the 4 door that they had on the lot was an automatic which we do not want. the car had good power which suprised me out of such a tiny engine. 138HP from the 1.8L engine. it cornered well and seemed very well stuck to the road. One thing that would take some getting used to (and this is not a bad thing at all) is that the steering is so sensitive that if you breath in a direction the car goes there...oh and the gas cap is on the wrong side of the car...

They also come with a 3 year 36000 bumper to bumper warranty, and a 7 year 100,000 mile power train warranty, so by the time the parts are my problem they will probably be a bit more affordable.

These are just my initial impressions, so keep them coming, we had never even heard of this car before yesterday but it impressed us a lot.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site

I owned a Saturn for about three years and found it to be a really well-made car. I am shopping for a new car. I had not seen this car, but it's now on my list. Others that I was considering include the Honda Fit (tiny), and the Mazda 5 (mini-mini-van) and 3.

The Mazda 3 is a little bigger inside than the Astra, and the 5 is a great little car for a family. I used to sell Mazdas a few years ago and was very impressed with both of these vehicles, especially considering their price point. We are also looking into Honda Fits (much to Rob's dismay) and Subaru Impreza wagons, but this Saturn took us completely by surprised.

Thanks for the input everyone!

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I too was shocked at how good the Astra is. It makes me wonder why Saturn (GM) never really advertised this car. It is the first small GM car that can compete with the Japanese brands. Because I am single, I only need one medium sized four wheeled vehicle. But, If I needed a smaller second car, the Astra would be the first on my list.

MarineMom

Reaction score
Visit site

I can't speak for the Astra but my Saturns were all good. Had a '97 SL1, '00 LS1, '03 VUE, never any major repairs needed. My daughter in FL has '02 SL1, 160,000 miles n still goin but gettin tired! Saturn used to be a 'special' brand of GM they kinda got away from that last few years but I still like them, my sales guys became my friends.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site

I've never driven an Astra but I will admit I like the styling. I had an '04 Ion when I was in high school and will admit it was a great little car. Didn't have any options besides A/C but it was a blast to drive. Good power (2.2L) and an excellent 5sp tranny. I especially loved that even if I redlined it in 1st and 2nd gear away from every stoplight id still get no lower than 26MPG/tank. Can't say the same for the Durango I drive now.............

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site

I'm currently driving on of these
nm_opel_astra_break.jpg

1.7 diesel 100hp, I can already hear the boys over at TopGear laughing at me :)

I have also driven the regular model, like the one of your start post. I'm quite happy with it, but it's a company car, and I'm looking to upgrade to an Audi A4 soon. The Astra is pretty good overall, good power, good handling, ok brakes (I have ABS), roomy inside, giant trunk, nice stereo... I think the Opel's are great value for money.

What I don't like is the driver's seat. I'm 6'3 and just don't fit in that damn seat. Other German cars (for example VW) have so much better seats. But other than that, no complaints at all. Mine has 80.000 miles, and still runs like a charm. Go for it!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I'm currently driving on of these
nm_opel_astra_break.jpg

1.7 diesel 100hp, I can already hear the boys over at TopGear laughing at me :)

I have also driven the regular model, like the one of your start post. I'm quite happy with it, but it's a company car, and I'm looking to upgrade to an Audi A4 soon. The Astra is pretty good overall, good power, good handling, ok brakes (I have ABS), roomy inside, giant trunk, nice stereo... I think the Opel's are great value for money.

What I don't like is the driver's seat. I'm 6'3 and just don't fit in that damn seat. Other German cars (for example VW) have so much better seats. But other than that, no complaints at all. Mine has 80.000 miles, and still runs like a charm. Go for it!

so.. by regular version you mean? Gasoline? I would love the turbo diesel, but the gasoline 138HP will be fine for what i am going to use it for. The trim level will be the fully loaded most likely, Dual panel sunroof, and A/C, the only option i will not pay for is the automatic.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

good looking cars reio... but come on.. have you seen the new camaro... your child will thank you for buying it :)

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

so.. by regular version you mean? Gasoline? I would love the turbo diesel, but the gasoline 138HP will be fine for what i am going to use it for. The trim level will be the fully loaded most likely, Dual panel sunroof, and A/C, the only option i will not pay for is the automatic.

The auto gearbox is weird anyway, it disconnects the torque converter at stoplights to reduce engine drag, thus getting a bit better MPG's in the city. I just found it weird.

Even the base XE has a stunning list of standard equpiment: Auto headlights, rain sensing wipers, power windows, PWR doorlocks, remote entry, anti theft system, cruise control, heated outside mirrors, well you get the idea.

The XR adds various tire/wheel packages, moonroof, upgraded sound systems, fog lights, heated seats, leather, and different interior colors. Either way, you get a lot of stuff for your money.

Check out saturnfans.com to see what people are saying about the Astra. When I was lurking there a year ago, lots of positive feedback from owners.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

but all joking aside.. my girl and i dont have a child yet, but we have a very needy dog.. we picked up a jeep patriot sport... its awesome.. we both really love it.. its her ride, but she is soo happy with it.. had it over the winter and it did great in the snow.. we did get the 4x4 one, so i cant vouch for the non-4x4 model.. here are a few pics, but seriously go look at these.. we got ours used with like 14k miles and if i rememebr correctly we paid around $16k.. dont know your price range but it is a great little truck..

oh and she routinly gets around 25mpg average.. she drives it for work (sales) so she puts around 15-20k miles a year.. so 25 i would say is its avg mpg.. hope it helps..

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

Last edited:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

it would be nice, and someday i will have a fun only car, but function and some fun is the way to go now.

i hear ya.. i dont have kids anywhere in the near future, well.. maybe in the next 2 years.. and i have never owned a sporty fun car due to getting work vans and such.. so i opted for this..

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

was used, but i just couldnt say no at the time.. ow i scrap by trying to make the payments.. but it does put a smile on my face going around corners.. just not as fast as the bike...:thumbup:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site

my vote is for the Mazda 3. It can still be fun on the weekend in the mountains and will handle the wife (or husband for Kiera), kid, and dog when needed. I have no true info about the Astra but I am a subscriber to most major automotive magazines and none of them have ever said anything bad about the mazda 3. In fact it wins all the comparison tests they put it in. Comes with great features from the factory, and is reliable. The Fit would be my second choice (from what I have read) but it is kind of dorky looking.....but I think that is one of its selling points. The magazines also rate the Fit very high and they haven't said much about the Astra except it is good for a Saturn (and Saturn's don't get great reliability ratings...not horrible either but not as good as a Honda or Mazda)

Let us know what you guys get!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

my vote is for the Mazda 3. It can still be fun on the weekend in the mountains and will handle the wife (or husband for Kiera), kid, and dog when needed. I have no true info about the Astra but I am a subscriber to most major automotive magazines and none of them have ever said anything bad about the mazda 3. In fact it wins all the comparison tests they put it in. Comes with great features from the factory, and is reliable. The Fit would be my second choice (from what I have read) but it is kind of dorky looking.....but I think that is one of its selling points. The magazines also rate the Fit very high and they haven't said much about the Astra except it is good for a Saturn (and Saturn's don't get great reliability ratings...not horrible either but not as good as a Honda or Mazda)

Let us know what you guys get!

the Mazda 3 is a good choice, the Astra is often compared to it and it literally almost half the price.... the 3 is out of our reach right now.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

my buddy recently bought a fit and he really likes it... had a nice ride and everything... seemed a bit small to me.. but i did really like the sound system.. :)