Request for Advice: Shopping for a trailer

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm in the market for a trailer for the bike and thought I would see what tid bits of advice you guys had to offer. I've done a lot of looking around but I keep waffling between what I want versus what I need versus what I don't fully understand. I have a few questions to ask, but mostly I'd just like some thoughts and opinions from you guys. Here's my current chain of thoughts on the topic feel free to comment on any or none of these points:

• The trailer needs to be big enough for the FZ, 4x6 would just barely fit.
  • On the other hand it would be nice to have a 5x8 for when I get another bike in the future or if a friend wants to come along.
  • Can't be too big, I've only got a Class I hitch (2000lb max), and I'm pulling it with my Altima (3.5 v6, no wimpy 4cylinder)
  • Not too confident in the steel mesh flooring, how do you mount hardware securely? Wouldn't the bike sag through?
  • I could always rip the mesh out and install wood, but that just seems a waste.
  • Diamond plate, is it worth it? Wouldn't it slippery?
  • This thing is going to be most heavily used on long highway trips, 12in wheels seem way to small for this. I'd burn out the bearings in a couple trips, right?
  • Should I just spend the extra money and get an el Camino instead?
  • What haven't I thought of?

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If I were in the market for a trailer that was going to see a lot of road use I would get a Featherlite 1683.
UT812.jpg

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you know someone who can weld? If so you can save quite a bit of money by buying a trailer with no sides and having it added yourself. Likewise a ramp and any storage boxes. I would get a landscape trailer with a wooden floor that way the flooring could easily be replaced in case you need to drastically alter tie down positions or resell the trailer. If space for storing the trailer is a premium then I would consider one of the motorcycle fold up trailers.

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a 3 rail trailer for $400. It has an 1800lb capacity, so I can put 2 cruisers or 3 sportbikes or dirtbikes easily. Check the capacity of the 3 rail trailers, some are rated at less than 1000lbs.

Jim Karam

Trying to Keep Up
Reaction score
www.karam.com
Go find yourself a used Kendon trailer. http://www.kendonusa.com/dual_trailer.htm They're usually selling on Craigslist or eBay for about $1500, but they're worth every penny. I've hauled one or two bikes with just a car for thousands of miles without any issues. The fold-up feature is nice if you live in a neighborhood like me with restrictions regarding leaving a trailer outside. You just shove it against a wall in the garage.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Forget the Featherlight or anything with a ramp like that. Going down the highway, that thing will be a giant source of drag.

I can pull my FZ6 on a trailer at 80MPH using my 1.7L Civic. Pulling the same bike with a U-Haul trailer that has that ramp style, I'm limited to 55mph and third gear.

Your Altima has more power, but it's low like a Civic, so that ramp will absolutely kill your fuel mileage.

Fred

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm in the market for a trailer for the bike and thought I would see what tid bits of advice you guys had to offer. I've done a lot of looking around but I keep waffling between what I want versus what I need versus what I don't fully understand.

Good Morning Vietnam!

I actually use a product called Trailer in a Bag. I have towed all sorts of bikes including those for my friends stranded alongside the road with this small trailer and highly recommended it.

trailer-in-a-bag-6.jpg

The nice feature is you can take it apart quickly and stuff it into a large duffel bag and store it in a large closet! It only weights 140 pounds too.

Fred 2

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
That trailer in a bag thing is an awfully nice idea, but it's a bit expensive and I'm not very confident in the tie down system. The kendons are nice too, but again, pricey.

The shortfall of both is that they are really single purpose items as well. I'd prefer to get something that is more flexible in terms of usage, in case my girlfriend needs me to move a couch or something. Plus I'm still worried about running a trailer with 12 inch wheels. I'm going to spend hours on the freeway running 65+. I don't have much confidence in a wheel that small.

W

wrightme43

Get what Jim has. That thing is freaking trick man. You saw it the deals gap meet. I checked it out pretty good. Its a nice piece of kit.

Thats my advice anyway.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
  • Not too confident in the steel mesh flooring, how do you mount hardware securely? Wouldn't the bike sag through?
  • I could always rip the mesh out and install wood, but that just seems a waste.
  • Diamond plate, is it worth it? Wouldn't it slippery?
  • This thing is going to be most heavily used on long highway trips, 12in wheels seem way to small for this. I'd burn out the bearings in a couple trips, right?
  • What haven't I thought of?

Nothing actually mounts to the mesh, it provides something to stand on and you can lean the bike on the side stand on it if you don't have a chock in front to hold it while you strap it. Everything mounts to the frame.

Wood? Not a good idea.

Diamond plate is nice, but heavy.

Don't worry about the bearings. I have done 1500 mile day trips with a trailer with 10" wheels, but my main concern was the tyres and the speed. I think 12" will be okay, but 14" is a much better idea.