Removing Spraypaint?

mjbzak

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so i have a question for you gents and lady's of the forum. While i was on vacation way back at the end of august into Sept some little neighborhood punk :Flip: decided to spray paint my Fz6 :mad:. Was wondering what you guys would suggest to take off the paint without destroying my plastics. Unfortunately I didn't have insurance on my bike at the time so no help from that.

1Animal1

Reaction score
Visit site
Good stuff if you have access to it is Autosmart Tardis tar remover, dissolves new paint and leaves the clear coat beneath it alone.

Failing that clay or white spirit - you'll just need a bit more elbow grease ;)

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am guessing they just sprayed over the dirt, wax, grime, etc that was on the bike as it sat. There is a goof possibility that the paint isn't adhering very well and can be removed with an abrasive wax or some diluted polishing compound. Have you tried anything between September and now?

mjbzak

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes I tired some graffiti remover made by goof off it took the spray paint off of all the metal parts and my tank but it just eats plastic. I need something that will take if off all my plastics and not destroy it. I mean the kid pretty much painted the whole bike

JayyVee

IT Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes I tired some graffiti remover made by goof off it took the spray paint off of all the metal parts and my tank but it just eats plastic. I need something that will take if off all my plastics and not destroy it. I mean the kid pretty much painted the whole bike

Would not this kid or his parents be liable - even if no insurance, that's vandalism? Are the kids parents that bad they won't step up and help you clean off what their kid did? :eek:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Odds are we're just using 'kid' here based upon an assumption, I doubt that we know which 'kid' it was, otherwise mjbzak probably wouldn't be tasked with solving the issue.

mjbzak

Reaction score
Visit site
Well it was a pretty good idea of what kid did it. Cops were called and reports were filed but nothing was done about it and I wasn't the only one to file a report. My girlfriend also filed a report because he spray painted a stripe down the side of her car and her aunt also filed a report because he spray painted some other things around the house

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Most rattle can paints are not the same as factory automotive type paint. I would try enamel reducer to see if it would clean off the rattle can paint. The enamel reduce may attack the rattle can paint and not harm your original paint or plastics. I think the rattle can paints are closer to lacquer type paints that may use a lacquer thinner/toluene type vehicle and the enamel reduce might not emulsify the RC paint.
There is a product that I found at the Home Depot website that may also work without harming the original finish and plastics.

Some hand rubbing compound and polish will finish the job. Good luck! :)

Motsenbockers 22-oz. Spray Paint Graffiti Remover (Lift Off #4)-411-01 at The Home Depot

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually a good use for WD40... Try it in an inconspicuous area.... Soak rag, hold on surface for 30 seconds and wipe.

Porous things like castings (wheel etc) could be very time consuming.
Sorry! That sucks! :(

JayyVee

IT Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
Well it was a pretty good idea of what kid did it. Cops were called and reports were filed but nothing was done about it and I wasn't the only one to file a report. My girlfriend also filed a report because he spray painted a stripe down the side of her car and her aunt also filed a report because he spray painted some other things around the house

That sucks man.. Sorry to distract from what you came here for (help w/ the paint!) I was just curious how you got stuck on the clean-up job. :(

if you can get it 'mostly' clean, you could go back over the plastics with black paint or maybe even plastidip, and give it your own 'paint' job?

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Dang kids now days. This is why we can't have nice things. Would be sad if he was caught with the use of lethal force. Shouldn't have been doing crap he wasnt sopposed to be. Good ideas up top and get a cover if it's going to be outside. It may prove a good deterrent especially at night from punks who need taught a lesson.

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
My initial thought was a clay-bar.. spray paint won't bond very well, unless they sanded it before painting?!:p..

If that doesn't work I'd just send the painted parts off to be polished.. sorry dude