Rear brake sounds after changing??

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
After changing my rear brake pads I have this intermittent horrible noise that comes from my brakes. Sounds like nails on a chalk board amplified 100x. At first I assumed it was just the pads wearing in but there is no consistency as to when it happens. Sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't. It doesn't seem to matter if I hammer on the rear or just gently apply it. It started immediately after changing the pads and I gave it some time and then took it all back apart to check. I didn't see anything wrong and it is still happenning.

The good news is the brakes work fine minus the noise.

Any suggestions?

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Sounds like the anit rattle clips are not working. All pads chatter on the rotor, the frequency is so high it makes that screeching noise. You can try to smooth the rotor to reduce it, or add some brake grease to the back side of the pad, between the piston and the plate. The goop absorbs the vibration before it becomes and airborne sound.

There should be a small spring loaded clip in there, that performs this function. Very simple loking thing......

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like the anit rattle clips are not working. All pads chatter on the rotor, the frequency is so high it makes that screeching noise. You can try to smooth the rotor to reduce it, or add some brake grease to the back side of the pad, between the piston and the plate. The goop absorbs the vibration before it becomes and airborne sound.

There should be a small spring loaded clip in there, that performs this function. Very simple loking thing......

Thanks. I have some time this weekend so I will take it apart again and have a look.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

+1 on the anti squeal/rattle clip. Make sure it didn't get bent or is missing.