Rear Axle & Chain Adjusters

AdamFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

How hard should it be to remove the rear axle and adjust the chain adjusters ?

Both of mine are rock solid seized !

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The OEM tool bag contains all the items needed; but that has nothing to do with "how hard it should be"!

Spray some good penetrating oil on it and let it soak as long as possible repeat every day for 4 days or so.

On the side stand, break the axle nut loose
Center stand bike
Remove axle while supporting wheel (hopefully axle comes out easy)
HOPEFULLY this act will in itself allow the adjusters to move a little but you need enough chain slack to drop the wheel.
If not, spray lots of penetrating oil in the adjusters and try to get them free. So lots of small movements until the assemblies move in the swing arm.

Let us know how it goes....
43491d1341425283-resolved-abnormal-wear-rear-brake-hanger-what-have-i-done-help-hub2-ls.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On the S-1 series(06 and earlier) FZ6, there are pal nuts. One nut locked against the other. While holding one nut with a wrench loosen the other nut. Then loosen large axle nut.
I also looked back on some of your posting history and noticed you've had seizing from past water in your swing arm. Could this also be related?

AdamFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies so far.

I undone everything... hub nut and both nuts on each of the adjusters... solid !

I even had a good ol smack with the hammer on the axle but nothing. I've got a 36mm socket coming so i'll see if i can rotate the axle from the other side.

RE: the gear noise.... Yes it's still there, hasn't got any worse or better. Just avoiding using 2nd gear as much as i can. At the end of the month i will be getting a 2nd hand set of gears to pop in.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
An idea: :thumbup:
Remove the rear most hugger bolts and pump the swing arm full of ATF and allow it to soak. Not sure if the Left Side has a any holes you can add fluids with but the right side does.

ATF - automatic transmission fluid. Its high in detergents and works good at loosening stuck corroded parts.

AdamFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Finally got it out with the help of some heat and "gentle" hammering ! :thumbup:

Now the question is, Do i replace those parts or try and clean them up ? The garage only rub the axle down a bit and pop some grease on it (not copper grease).

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Unless you stop the rust and corrosion inside the wheels spacer tube, I can only imagine that at some level its going to attempt to bond itself again so new axle could suffer the same fate. It looks like most of the plating is gone now, so clean it up and grease it thoroughly.

Assemble with grease have high anti-corrosion properties. Same for the adjusters.... In other threads we'd mentioned boat wheel bearing grease/marine grade.

Good luck...

What are headers and turbo from?

AdamFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks.

The turbo's and headers are from a Audi S4 B5 Advant (2.7 V6 Twin Turbo), my old car before i fitted the turbo's from a RS4.