R6 Component Swap

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
As far as I know, no one has done this yet, but it is common knowledge that the R6S makes about 20hp more than our beloved FZ. Given that the engine itself is the same (except the cams and thinner head gasket) the difference lies in the external parts, and looking through the lists of differences floating around and parts fiches that would be the larger throttle bodies, fuel control, aforementioned cams and head gasket, headers, intake box, ecu, wiring harness, and a few sensors. The gauge cluster would also have to be replaced.

Since there were so many 03-05 R6 and newer R6Ss made parts are pretty cheap used. After doing a little looking around the majority of the different parts (essentially everything except additional sensors) can be found for about $500 total. It would involve a lot of work changing over the main wiring harness and everything, and there would doubtless be some modifying required, but for less than the price of a new slip-on exhaust a much larger power gain could be found.

I am thinking I might start gathering parts for next winter's project. Since I will be due for my valve adjustment anyway I was going to try the R6 cam swap, so this would be more of an extra step (or 12).

Am I missing something completely obvious here in what I have found? It will of course be a lot of work, but I enjoy working on things, it is what I do for a living, just on cars. And finally I realize I could have just bought an R6 so no need to bring it up.:D

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
Aside from the cams and thinner head gasket, the fuel injection system is also vastly different. The transmission is also geared differently. You could swap out all the parts to make it a R6 engine basically, but you'd be looking at about the same price as buying a slighty used R6S engine. The next problem is the fuel injection/air box setup on the R6S will not fit under the FZ6 tank. So you'd need to buy a R6S tank as well.. possibly the battery housing as well not sure on that... but that's the least of the complications.

Anything can be done with enough time and moneth..

Fun is expensive.

Last edited:

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I know the fuel system is different, but fortunately most people include the injectors with the throttle bodies and the ECU controls them. The FZ pump should work since people have used the R6 pump as a replacement in the past.

The ignition coils differ as well, if I remember correctly the R6 is COP where ours is waste spark.

The airbox is one of the things that will have to be modified. I have planned on making my own airbox anyway for something further down the line, but considering how cheap a used airbox can be found I think it would be a good time to use the bottom and make a different top to fit the underside of the gas tank to avoid having to swap that. I have looked at the R6S tank and even if it fit, it would not match the contours of the frame like the stock one does.

I was under the impression that the gearing difference between the two was in the final gearing, which I have already changed. Are the internals different as well?

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ pump should work since people have used the R6 pump as a replacement in the past.

The fuel pumps looks completely different on the microfiche, and have different part numbers, but both are internal pumps, and it may work.

I was under the impression that the gearing difference between the two was in the final gearing, which I have already changed. Are the internals different as well?

Based on the 2006 R6s Parts...

The part numbers are different. The actual number is the same.. but the model identifier is different. This basically boils down to they may or may not be interchangable. A dealership can cross reference using yamaha's resources.. or you might try asking yamaha directly and see how far you get.

In the Microfiche, Part #29, 5th gear wheel and #3 5th gear pinion are noticably different, as are the 3rd/4th gear pinion, actually several pieces are different. Tt also looks to be assembled a bit differently. I'm pretty sure the internals are different.

As far as making a custom airbox, that's way above my head. Alot of enginering goes into making a airbox with the proper flow for the engine. If you don't have the proper air/fuel ratio, then the whole project is kinda pointless from a HP gain point of view.

Let us know if you go forward with it :thumbup:

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
That is interesting about the transmission, I wonder why they went with the different design. I'm not too worried about it for now though, simply because there have been a few boosted FZ6s and all they did was get stronger clutch springs. I haven't heard of anyone grenading one due to internal weakness.

Honestly I think the airbox could be the most difficult part of the swap to get right, as you said it has a big influence on power. I would probably try modifying the stock box before completely redesigning it. The R6S and FZ6 boxes are pretty significantly different, but the throttle bodies mount the same. Since the R6 throttle bodies have a larger diameter and the airboxes are flat at that point, cutting the flange area (not sure what it is really called, the portion the throttle bodies enter the airbox through) off of the R6 box and plastic-welding it into a same size hole in the FZ6 box should be fairly simple. Anything more complex would need a lot of calculations to get the volume, airflow, filter area, etc all good.

Regarding the fuel pumps I see what you mean about the different part numbers (I have been using a 2004 R6 as a reference for the fiche but the pump is the same between that and the 2006 R6S) I see it has the -01 revision designation. I am not sure what Yamaha changed. Looking at the diagram it seems similar, just it is rotated differently between the two bikes. Looking more closely at the R6 part number, the number itself is listed as 5PW-13907-00-00, but the name is 5PW-13907-01-00, while the FZ6 one is 5VX-13907-01-00, the same except for the model designator. I saw here on the forum where a couple people used an R6 pump to replace their FZ6 one because it is cheaper.

I think I will go forward with it, but it is going to be a longterm thing, so most likely no daily updates.:spank: To be honest one of the reasons the swap interests me is the power of course, but another big reason is the fact that the R6(S) has better aftermarket support for the ECU.

I wanted to get the bike tuned after putting on my Jardine exhaust but unless I wanted a full standalone like Microsquirt or MoTec I was limited to fuel only, since Dynojet and all the other companies decided not to make an FZ6-compatible ignition box. Not so with the R6.:D I came across the Rapid Bike ECU a long time ago, back before I thought about the swap. Aside from controlling both fuel and ignition, it is on sale since the R6S is an older bike! With the sale price it is actually cheaper than a power commander. I just hope the sale lasts though; the first thing I am going to test fit is the throttle bodies with airbox since that is the tricky bit.

One thing I am concerned and am going to contact Yamaha about, is the intake valves and springs. The exhaust are exactly the same between the two bikes, but the intake valves have different model designations as do both the inner and outer springs. The retainers and everything else are identical. I do not want to have to worry about valve float or anything with the extra RPM.