R6 cam swap

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is there any other way to do it? LOL I got all that in stock Mate... Thanks. It end up to be very close to whatever the timing mark were lining up. So I started there... any educated guess is a good guess... to get a base line. So far it look very good. The mid range got a good kick and still breath very good all the way to the rev limiter. I might be able to retard the Intake a bit to get a bit more of that top end rush... but I need to be careful. I'm short 2K rmp compare to you. So whatever I do it will feel a bit more flat torque compare to a FZ6.

I'm still working on the map to smooth thing up before I do a base line run on the dyno. Getting close. If it all look good I'll get it tune on the dyno, the right way!

So is the intake and exhaust stock? Any chance the FZ6 injectors and T/Bs bolt up?
Also, keep an eye open for an ignition advance module, a few degrees added (electronically) could be be sweet spot on the top end. Not sure if you played in that realm much but it makes huge difference. . .

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
Hope to bring this back from the dead. I am hoping to be doing the R6 cam swap in the next few weeks if all goes well, i found some second hand cams i intent to buy.

You guys who done it still getting good results?
Did you use thiner or thicker head gasget? (cant remember which was around if affects)

Did you have to get new tentioner or was that personal choice?

I likewise and letting the dealership get the hands on it, as i do not have the skill required.

Thanks guys for the info up till now

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
So is the intake and exhaust stock? Any chance the FZ6 injectors and T/Bs bolt up?
Also, keep an eye open for an ignition advance module, a few degrees added (electronically) could be be sweet spot on the top end. Not sure if you played in that realm much but it makes huge difference. . .

I'm running the stock intake with a modded airbox. I have the FZ6 throttle assembly (38mm) but the intake port itself is not any bigger than the 6R throttle body any way (32mm). And since I don't rev any higher the need for more volume is not necessary. I prefer the sharp throttle response. I have the "Marthy Exhaust" (I make those... just over a dozen out there with my exhaust) with a Viper racing can.

I end up pushing the same torque as spec with a bit more power at the wheel. I don't really have a big peak HP but a really nice flat torque from 4K-7K with a peak at 8500. I'm over 75HP from 9500 to 11000 with a peak at 78HP. The Dyno tech told me that usually if he let the bike cool down and give it another run he get + 5HP in average. Engine temp were top at 210-215 on the last run!

So over all I'm quite happy with the mod. I have a really good mid range to cruise around and a very nice gain on top.

My bike had 68-70HP at the wheel bone stock! :rockon:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
So I know a few members have done the swap but has anyone put it on a dyno yet to see the actual results?

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
I will let you know on Saturday. I did my cam swap about a year ago but never had it on a dyno. 6k and up it screams

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
didn't happen tuner called out hungover. they offered to just dyno but i wanted to have a new map made. so i will try on my next saturday off/

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
I am also planning to do this mod.
My priority is low end torque and smooth power.
I found some cheap r6 5sl cam shafts.

Some quick questions:

1. Do i have to change head gasket? I don't want to open head, can i just open the valve cover and change the cams and rocker cover gasket?

2. If i have to change head gasket which gasket is recommended, Fz6 or R6?

3. Should i change cam chain and tensioner also ? (Bike has 16k miles)

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
You do not have to change the head gasket.(But if you ever do, using the r6 gasket will bring it up to 12.4 to 1. FZ6 is 12.2. Not, much diferent.) I would use a new tensioner.. maybe a new chain, but could likely do without.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am also planning to do this mod.
My priority is low end torque and smooth power.
I found some cheap r6 5sl cam shafts.

Some quick questions:

1. Do i have to change head gasket? I don't want to open head, can i just open the valve cover and change the cams and rocker cover gasket?

2. If i have to change head gasket which gasket is recommended, Fz6 or R6?

3. Should i change cam chain and tensioner also ? (Bike has 16k miles)

That bold part up there says "Negative!" These CAMS will not give you what you want and may actually make the bike less desirable to ride as the power is likely to come on later and peak higher. But without the ECM and all the other R6 parts that make it what it is, a $15 dollar sprocket change is more likely to meet your needs. Thats my opinion at least.

Is it Saturday Yet? hint to Ben. . .

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
An other member (opnwhlmnd) has done this mod and said that:

NO you will not lose low end torque with the cam swap. It actually gained some low end torque with the cam swap. Love how people on this forum speculate that any mod made is a disaster.

Yamaha gained the low end torque on the FZ with smaller throttle bodies and different intake tract.

The duration on the R6 cams actually improve the low end torque on the FZ.

Also the FZ cams are solid cast steel and the R6 cams are hollow billet cams. Big rotating weight savings. The cam sprockets from the R6 are much lighter also.

Part numbers are

5SL-12170-00 and 5SL-12180-00

Link:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/28658-r-6-head-gasket-2.html

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the cam swap I did not notice any drop in low end I gained more in the 6k and up. But did loose low end with the air box mod.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I did the cam swap I did not notice any drop in low end I gained more in the 6k and up. But did loose low end with the air box mod.

Ditto on the Air box mod. Its not a value add down low. It may help at 10K but I can't tell.

BUT; the reason I post is to bump to see if the bike made it to the dyno?!!