Project TRX! A semi faithful restoration! Finished! :)

Should i leave the bike with OEM Paint scheme?

• White frame, and plain RED OEM paintwork

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • White frame, RED bodywork with WHITE racing stripe full length of the bike

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
re: Project TRX! A semi faithful restoration! Finished! Video & photo's now up! :)

Ok, next up was the rear brake caliper, which was a total mess, corroded caliper seals, seized piston on one side, and generally, absolutely filthy....well it is now blastedclean, has had a caliper seal kit put through it, and has new sintered brake pads....

I also got myself 2 new OEM brake caliper mounting bolts....and replaced the Yamaha sticker on the caliper...
View attachment 36584

View attachment 36585

Now all i have to do is fill em up with fluid, and bleed em, and i have completely new, refurbished, and improved braking set upon the bike....

Yamaha Blue Spot calipers up the front, reconditioned rear OEM caliper, New Wave disc's, front and back, Goodridge braided lines, New front brake lever, freshly painted rear Brembo master cylinder...it's all go, err, i mean STOP!

View attachment 36586

View attachment 36587

:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
re: Project TRX! A semi faithful restoration! Finished! Video & photo's now up! :)

Next....the Carbies....not really sure of how well they were operating prior to the bike being taken off the road, but i do know, that after 133000km's, they were pretty filthy....
View attachment 36588

Well not anymore, had them sonic cleaned, had the O rings replaced, checked over, and reassembled....
View attachment 36589

View attachment 36590

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Last cab off the rank tonight...the headers....they too were absolutely trashed....

View attachment 36591

But they are stainless steal, so with a decent polish by someone who really knows what they they are doing.....not me!

View attachment 36592

View attachment 36593

The difference is both astonishing & relieving!

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

There is nothing else to say........ I've said it all so I will just sit back , relax & :drool: :drool: :thumbup:

I dont ever remember them coming out of the box brand new that shiney :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

There is nothing else to say........ I've said it all so I will just sit back , relax & :drool: :drool: :thumbup:

I dont ever remember them coming out of the box brand new that shiney :D

They had to come up good really, or I was on the hunt for another set, cause the OEM mufflers I am picking up this week, are brand new, still in the plastic Yamaha parts bag!!!!

Crappy headers would of looked awful with those!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Was thinking today that i might re-paint the bodywork, with a white racing stipe down the middle, from the front to the back.....

What do people think, OEM red, or Red with a white racing stripe???

And dont ask me for a pic, my photoshop skills are non existent!

:D

muck_mahone

Reaction score
Visit site

How about white with a red racing stripe?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

How about white with a red racing stripe?

Thats the exact colour scheme I was going to suggest :D But if you went the other way around it would still look insane :thumbup:

The only problem with a white base colour, is that the frame is white, and with a white base for the paint job, then the white frame, which is oh so beautiful, wont stand out by itself....IMHO.

Esra

Reaction score
Visit site

can you change the colour of the frame?

Black frame, white with red stripe!

Esra

Reaction score
Visit site

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Not really, i just had it welded, blasted, and powdercoated white, and have most of the bike re-built around it....and i dont really fancy starting again....

But i did give it a thought.

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site

Keep the white frame. It sets it apart from all the new ducatis with their black or red frames, plus I love the white frame.

As for colour, since you pretty much have all red bodywork, the white stripe will allow the frame to look like it belongs better in my opinion.

Esra

Reaction score
Visit site

Maybe white frame, red body work and nice black line?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I am edging towards getting a graphic designer doing a re-working of the Yamaha 50th Anniversary of Grand Pric racing Livery, and another colour scheme that has a more simplified racing stripe fllowing the line of the indents in the top of the TRX tank...

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I am edging towards getting a graphic designer doing a re-working of the Yamaha 50th Anniversary of Grand Pric racing Livery, and another colour scheme that has a more simplified racing stripe fllowing the line of the indents in the top of the TRX tank...

That will be awesome , really like that idea :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

That will be awesome , really like that idea :thumbup:

Yes, i started playing with that design last night in some crappy paint program i found on the net....so it will be a white base, but with red and black used in the same type of design, but adapted to "fit" the lines of the TRX bodywork...

This way i will still be able to make a white base on the bodywork, stand apart from the white of the frame, and make both the bodywork, and the frame a feature...

I spent 7 hours last night going over and over this in my head, and on the PC!

:eek:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I spoke to my painter today, we both decided that we should do the racing stripe like on the 50th aniversary bike...just the top one, on the front nose fairing, the tank, and the seat unit...except with the red where the white is on the GP bike, and the white wear the red is, so "reversed".

View attachment 36675

Basically the stripe that runs from front to back...wont bother with the number 1! just the paint design.