Project TRX! A semi faithful restoration! Finished! :)

Should i leave the bike with OEM Paint scheme?

• White frame, and plain RED OEM paintwork

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • White frame, RED bodywork with WHITE racing stripe full length of the bike

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, one of my very close friends owns a Yamaha TRX850, which has had a very hard life...and right now it is sitting on the bike table in my workshop, with a crack in it's frame, an engine that needs re-building, and lots and lots of other stuff which is in a sorry state, and needs to be either fixed, or replaced....

I love this bike...sounds awesome when going, with those lovely Staintune Mufflers.

After a discussion with the bikes owner, it's time to go nuts on it....i have a few idea's, and am leaning towards either a bare bolts track bike, or a full custom fighter...

I have the perfect set of twin headlights i could use at the front...am thinking a different tail piece from a more modern bike...

A few tweaks of the suspension & brakes, and of course, the engine re-build...definitely an opportunity to get some V2 Cams for the thing, and play around with the top end of the motor...polished, and re-ported head maybe...

Have seen a TRX with a supercharger on it...now that would be nice....

Anyway, here she is...
View attachment 32289

View attachment 32290

Any idea's on what i should do to this thing!!!

:thumbup:

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
re: Project TRX! A semi faithful restoration! Finished! Video & photo's now up! :)

The bike I love and can't have. Curse Yamaha for never bringing it here. So beautiful... enough drooling. I love the look of the fairing to be honest, so a street fighter isn't my choice. I've always loved the "sleeper" idea. Looks stock but sure as hell isn't. Making it light as possible with the bare bones racer idea would be awesome too. If she be mine, I would upgrade forks, brakes and engine works for a start. Though I honestly know very little about them.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
re: Project TRX! A semi faithful restoration! Finished! Video & photo's now up! :)

Go nuts on the donk Jamie but please , please , please dont take away from the natural beauty the mighty TRX has :drool: It ranks in my top 5 sexiest bikes of all time :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Go nuts on the donk Jamie but please , please , please dont take away from the natural beauty the mighty TRX has :drool: It ranks in my top 5 sexiest bikes of all time :thumbup:

Mate, whatever happens to it...it's going on a diet!!!

But trust me, i wont let the bike turn into an ugly sideshow...i will only emphasise it's good points, and bin the trash...

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site

All the weight is in the motor - it's hugely heavy. I've had a few TRXs and apart from being down on power they're a great bike. They can be made to handle really well and do look a million pesos. Don't fighter it, please!

niko_fz6

Reaction score
Visit site

Nice!!

I would personally go for a naked/ cafe racer look

1)Ducati monster
2)Benelli TNT
3)Aprilia Tuono

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

All the weight is in the motor - it's hugely heavy. I've had a few TRXs and apart from being down on power they're a great bike. They can be made to handle really well and do look a million pesos. Don't fighter it, please!

Nice!!

I would personally go for a naked/ cafe racer look

1)Ducati monster
2)Benelli TNT
3)Aprilia Tuono

My idea of a fighter is a bit Cafe Racer anyway....which is sorta what the TRX is an evolution of in a way...

I have a bike in mind that will be my inspiration...
View attachment 32295

And i reckon with the right bits and pieces, i can make something as sharp as that, without compromising the integrity of the original TRX design...especially seeing as the TRX is a blatant copy of a derivative of the original Pantah...the Ducati 900SS!!!

:rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Or maybe something like this...maybe not the same colours, but ya gotta admit, it's pretty trick!

View attachment 32296

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I vote for this look.....:Flash:

Yes, this one runs with the idea of getting rid of that fat ar$e!!! The rear of the frame is absurd...needs to be cut, and needs a nice skinny butt! Front bikini fairing is also rather "fat', an appropriately skinny replacement is required...

That beautiful trellis frame must remain on show though i reckon!

niko_fz6

Reaction score
Visit site

I like the original look, true about the ducati ss900

what i was thinking, plus the ducati tail should be an easy job

ducati-monster-1100-_460x0w.jpg

ducati_1098_cafe_racer_porcorosso.jpg

caferacer.jpg

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

^^^^^^

All very nice, but whoever put that number plate thingo on the black monster, needs a good slapping!! :eek:

And your right, fixing the back half wont be hard....lots of options out there...heaps!

This bike would definitely look trick with a single sided swingarm too.

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site

French bodywork company Poly 76 make a nice retro cafe racer body kit for the TRX. Very Paul Smart rep type of thing.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

French bodywork company Poly 76 make a nice retro cafe racer body kit for the TRX. Very Paul Smart rep type of thing.

Hmmmm....sounds great, I must check it out. Cheers.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I must put some posters up in the garage.

Oh the bike em, what about an original concours version, that would be good.

:scared:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Something like this would be great :thumbup:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CqSmDRh8to]YouTube - YAMAHA TRX 850 STREETFIGHTER[/ame]

I also really like your idea of a single sided swing arm :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Something like this would be great :thumbup:
YouTube - YAMAHA TRX 850 STREETFIGHTER

I also really like your idea of a single sided swing arm :D

Very bloody nice bike but I don't reckon the front and the back of the bike are talking to each other in terms of "flow". Back is a bit pointy, and the front is quite square!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Do you have a link...was searching tonight, but without any luck???

Cheers.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site