Project TRX! A semi faithful restoration! Finished! :)

Should i leave the bike with OEM Paint scheme?

• White frame, and plain RED OEM paintwork

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • White frame, RED bodywork with WHITE racing stripe full length of the bike

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
re: Project TRX! A semi faithful restoration! Finished! Video & photo's now up! :)

Other things i have been very busy with.....polishing....every nut & bolt that is going back on the bike, will be either replaced with new stainless steel, or polished, before putting anything back on the bike....

As you can see in this first photo, a bit of a before and after...some of the old crusty bolts on one side of the photo, V's lots of nicely highly polished bolts....all the really cruddy bolts, have been replaced....
View attachment 35917

More polished bolts....side stand components, and rear shock pivot bolts...
View attachment 35918

Front & Rear wheel bearing spacers....
View attachment 35919

Brake & Clutch lever's....polished....
View attachment 35920

Clutch lever mounting bracket...re-painted in fresh gloss black...
View attachment 35921

:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
re: Project TRX! A semi faithful restoration! Finished! Video & photo's now up! :)

Am waiting for stuff to come back from various shops, before i go too much further...the top & bottom triple clamps are off being polished, when they return, i will fit the new Allballs steering head bearing's, and start put the front end back on the bike, including the freshly painted forks, which are fitted with racetech springs, and gold valve emulators. I will also fit the brand new OEM clip-on handlebar's, the freshly painted cutch lever mount & front brake lever mount & master cylinder, the super shiny polished brake a clutch lever's, the re-furbished, and re-conditioned switch blocks.

Both wheels are off being powdercoated, once they are back, i will get 90 degree stainless valve's fitted, fit the new wheel bearing's to both wheel's, and hopefully by the time this happens, my new front brake discs would of arrived, so i will be able to fit the brake disc's to both wheels, with all the freshly polished brake disc mount bolts used to fasten it all up...

Still have not pushed the trigger on a new set of sprocket's and a chain...but that will be next after that, as will a new set of tyres....once all this is in place, i will re-fit the swingarm, the wheels, and i will have a rolling chassis at least....

The Fairing & seat unit should be here this week, as will the front fairing mount, instrument cluster, headlight bracket, which is off being powdercoated black, like the rest of fairing mounts.....black powdercoat...

The rear brake calipers still need to re-conditioned, serviced...this week sometime...

The Carbies & rear shock should both be back from a rebuild, clean up, early next week...i need the shock back to assemble the rear end of the bike....

Getting there....

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Well, today, my Arashi front brake rotors turned up...they look awesome, in fact, i think they look better, and are better finished than the Braking Wave Discs on my black bike...

As they are the same brand as the rear brake disc, the front brake disc's also match the rear brake disc...which is cool!

Here are a couple of pic's...
View attachment 35936

View attachment 35937

I also picked up my new replacement OEM Yamaha clip on handlebar's today....would you believe the two handlebar's in the picture below, cost more from Yamaha Australia than the 3 brake disc's, including postage cost for the brake disc's!!!! :(
View attachment 35938

Oh, and i have been painting the billet passenger footpegs tonight....black!
View attachment 35939

I will eventually replace these pegs with black anodized, or plain aluminium, but for now, i could not cope with the pinky red anodized colour they were till tonight...just yuk on this bike!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I need a new chain guard, and i dont wanna pay a zillion dollars for a crap plastic one from Yamaha, and i dont like the aliminium aftermarket chain guards that are about...but today i found this.....

TRX850 REAR HUGGER - Geelong Carbon Craft

It is a thing of beauty (IMO) and better function...it not only incorporates a hugger, which will hel to keep things clean under the seat, but it also as a long "flap" to protect the rear shock from gunk and stones being thrown at it by the back wheel....

It aint cheap though!

:eek:

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, today, my Arashi front brake rotors turned up...they look awesome, in fact, i think they look better, and are better finished than the Braking Wave Discs on my black bike...

As they are the same brand as the rear brake disc, the front brake disc's also match the rear brake disc...which is cool!

Here are a couple of pic's...
View attachment 35936

View attachment 35937

I also picked up my new replacement OEM Yamaha clip on handlebar's today....would you believe the two handlebar's in the picture below, cost more from Yamaha Australia than the 3 brake disc's, including postage cost for the brake disc's!!!! :(
View attachment 35938

Oh, and i have been painting the billet passenger footpegs tonight....black!
View attachment 35939

I will eventually replace these pegs with black anodized, or plain aluminium, but for now, i could not cope with the pinky red anodized colour they were till tonight...just yuk on this bike!

Didn't you JUST buy a set of Blackbird CB1100XX Clip-Ons for that same TRX?

muck_mahone

Reaction score
Visit site

I need a new chain guard, and i dont wanna pay a zillion dollars for a crap plastic one from Yamaha, and i dont like the aliminium aftermarket chain guards that are about...but today i found this.....

TRX850 REAR HUGGER - Geelong Carbon Craft

It is a thing of beauty (IMO) and better function...it not only incorporates a hugger, which will hel to keep things clean under the seat, but it also as a long "flap" to protect the rear shock from gunk and stones being thrown at it by the back wheel....

It aint cheap though!

Have you looked at "The Simple" in Japan? 15000 yen which is about 180AUD

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site

just saw this thread jamie... i really like what u r doing to the trx, looks wise components chosen and the detailing you are doing. the merit is also mike's whose giving you invaluable help in your projects. and keep the pics coming!
did you buy the bike off the previous owner or he gave it to you in return of some much needed tlc? he sure did well in giving you the bike to restore it. its in safe hands.

good luck with project trx..

once this is finished i think you ll get to restore your pantah right:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Have you looked at "The Simple" in Japan? 15000 yen which is about 180AUD

No i have not come across that particular hugger. Looks nice, and much more reasonaby priced. Maybe also more in theme with the period of the bike too...Do you have a ink???

just saw this thread jamie... i really like what u r doing to the trx, looks wise components chosen and the detailing you are doing. the merit is also mike's whose giving you invaluable help in your projects. and keep the pics coming!
did you buy the bike off the previous owner or he gave it to you in return of some much needed tlc? he sure did well in giving you the bike to restore it. its in safe hands.

good luck with project trx..

once this is finished i think you ll get to restore your pantah right:thumbup:

I bought the bike from the previous owner, cause he could neither afford to fix the bike, nor has the workshop/shed to do such in. He did come overthe other day and half jokingly, half seriously said that he should buy it back off me when it's done.....not likely! This one's a keeper, if i ever saw one!

As for it needing much TLC....that is an understatemet...i reckon i have spent 60 - 80 hours on it already, and i reckon Mikey has spent about 10-15 hours on this project....Work permitting, i reckon Mikey will be about for a fair bit of the putting the thing back togther part of the project...which is a few weeks away...althoughi aim to have a rolling chassis, by the end of next week at least...

My hands are polished!!! My nose is full of paint! (must get a ask, would love to set up a small spray booth), my shed has bits of motorbike hanging everywhere!!! The missus has even pitched in, sitting in a chair last night for 4 hours, straightening up bent radiator fins!

As for the Pantah....that is safely tucked up for future reference.

The next project is almost definitely a FZ750. Would also like to do a gen 1 FZ1, as well as a gen 1 FZS600, and then to finish off the FZ obsession, a gen 2 FZ1!

Lol! I am dreaming out loud....

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
No i have not come across that particular hugger. Looks nice, and much more reasonaby priced. Maybe also more in theme with the period of the bike too...Do you have a ink???

I bought the bike from the previous owner, cause he could neither afford to fix the bike, nor has the workshop/shed to do such in. He did come overthe other day and half jokingly, half seriously said that he should buy it back off me when it's done.....not likely! This one's a keeper, if i ever saw one!

As for it needing much TLC....that is an understatemet...i reckon i have spent 60 - 80 hours on it already, and i reckon Mikey has spent about 10-15 hours on this project....Work permitting, i reckon Mikey will be about for a fair bit of the putting the thing back togther part of the project...which is a few weeks away...althoughi aim to have a rolling chassis, by the end of next week at least...

My hands are polished!!! My nose is full of paint! (must get a ask, would love to set up a small spray booth), my shed has bits of motorbike hanging everywhere!!! The missus has even pitched in, sitting in a chair last night for 4 hours, straightening up bent radiator fins!

As for the Pantah....that is safely tucked up for future reference.

The next project is almost definitely a FZ750. Would also like to do a gen 1 FZ1, as well as a gen 1 FZS600, and then to finish off the FZ obsession, a gen 2 FZ1!

Lol! I am dreaming out loud....

FZ, FZ, FZ...

You are certifiable.

muck_mahone

Reaction score
Visit site

The Simple is in japan, don't know that the sites been updated in a while, some nice lookin stuff for Trex's though, does have an "english here" link, but can help with translation if needed.

THE SIMPLE

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

FZ, FZ, FZ...

You are certifiable.

You gotta remember, theyareall exceptional bikes...not a bad one amongstthem. They are easy to work on, they are built well, and parts are not hard, or too expensive to get for them.

Also, as none of them have not sold in huge numbers compared to sportsbikes...in a few years, or more, good ones will attract decent money from the right person....

This is already happening with the TRX, and moreso, the FZ750.

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site

I am drooling so much my keyboard is under water...

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Well today i dropped into shop where the rear shock is about to be re-conditioned, sonicly cleaned, etc, picked up the shock spring (which i could not remove myself), and took it to the powdercoaters to get re-powdercoated. Also dropped the Rear shock dog bones off to be powdercoated red, and a whole heap of brackets & the sidestand, that will be powdercoated black.

Also dropped off a couple more things to be polished....ignition module, Rear Shock Pivot arm, and rear brake mounting bracket, and stabilizer bar.

Swingarm, Sub Frame & new rearsets are all going off on Friday to be cleaned up, so that the bare aluminium finish on all 3, matches up perfectly....not polished, but more so, cleaned, then finished in a brush metal effect....

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Well, have got quite a bit further down the road re this resto...since i last posted, i have cleaned up, re wrapped all the electrical loom....freaking huge job! And put it back on the bike....looks about a trillion dollars better than it did before, and all the wiring is now correctly routed, unlike when i got the bike!

Also, found a crack in the Swimgarm, when i took the front chain guard off...so that had to be binned....luckily for me, i found a second hand swingarm in pristine condition, in Adelaide, for $150....

A good polish, and it came up like new! Win! Then i added the newlt powdercoated brake line brackets, and then cleaned, sanded, etched the plastic, and painted both chain guards in a low sheen "bumper bar" black finish....looks trick....also painted the front sprocket cover in the same paint!

The cracked swingarm...
View attachment 36311

View attachment 36307

The replacement, all fixed up and ready for putting back on the bike...
View attachment 36308

View attachment 36309

View attachment 36310

View attachment 36312

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

A few more pics.....

View attachment 36313

View attachment 36314

View attachment 36315

View attachment 36316

View attachment 36317

Things are coming along nicely....will have wheels back with new tyres on tomorrow, as well all the stuff i sent out to be polished, other than the pipes....as the polisher found cracks in the Header collars (where the headers attach to motor!), and they need to be welded before i can have them back....