Project TRX! A semi faithful restoration! Finished! :)

Should i leave the bike with OEM Paint scheme?

• White frame, and plain RED OEM paintwork

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • White frame, RED bodywork with WHITE racing stripe full length of the bike

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
re: Project TRX! A semi faithful restoration! Finished! Video & photo's now up! :)

Well, Mikey & myself pulled the TRX to bits the other night, and it is now completely dismantled!!!

I have decided after much deliberation, that i am going to do a faithful to original restoration...and use the bike as my "Everyday" bike...

Managed to find a front fairing & rear seat unit on E-Bay, with front & rear indicators, original red paint (same as the colour of the bike i have in the shed), original fairing mounted mirrors, all original decals, and headlighty unit included! Paid $400 for this, which will save me about $1500 on repairing cracks, etc, in both fairing & seat unit, subsequent re-painting of said panels, and sourcing of new indicators & mirrors.

I still have to sought the motor out....as the one in the bike is faaaarked! It's either a complete re-build, or a replacement motor...which i think i have found at the "right price"! Fingers crossed!

Both the front and rear suspension needs re-building.

The Carbies need an overhaul, the frame need's to be sandblasted, repaired, and re-painted.

The Exhaust headers need to be re-chromed.

All the Aluminium parts on the bike need to be sand blasted, and re-polished where applicable...

Lots of hoses need to be replaced.

I need a new set of OEM rearsets & Handlebar's..

The radiator needs an overhaul, and paint.

The petrol tank, which is in pretty decent condition needs minor paintwork.

The wheels are pretty decent though!

The only real modifications i am going to make will be to replace the front brake calipers with newer blue spot Yamaha monoblock calipers, which bolt straight on, a set of braided lines (which are already on the bike), and a Radial mounted front brake master cylinder.

All in all, the bike is in a seriously bad way, and needs a complete re-build from the ground up....have done my sums, and i reckon it's gonna cost me about $4000 AU to do, providing i do as much as possible myself, which aint a huge sum for what will be a very very neat TRX850 when done...

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
re: Project TRX! A semi faithful restoration! Finished! Video & photo's now up! :)

I have decided after much deliberation, that i am going to do a faithful to original restoration...and use the bike as my "Everyday" bike...

WOO HOO :cheer: :cheer: Just like I said at the start , the TRX is one sexy beast straight outta the box & deserves to stay that way :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Ok, project update time....i have been busy!

Sold a couple of things left over from my FZ6 streetfighter project, and as such, re-invested in parts needed for the TRX850 restoration...

So far i have bought new brake disc rotors for the front and rear of the bike!
View attachment 35736

View attachment 35737

A set of Coerse Billet Aluminium replacement rearsets, with height, and backwards adjustable backst plates...nice!!!
View attachment 35738

And a full se of front fairing's, with all original decals, indicators, headlight, etc...in as new condition, as well as a seat unit, with all decals, fender, indicators, rider & passenger seat...in as new condition as well...
View attachment 35739

View attachment 35740

:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I have also bought a set of OEM mufflers, that are brand new, still in their plastic from the Factory!!! They have not arrived yet, so no photo as yet.

I found some very reasonably priced wheel bearing's for the front & rear wheels, and some new sintered brake pad's for the rear brake...

i also have a set of OEM clip-on's on order. Have bought a new set of All Ball's Head bearing's, and OEM bearing's for the rear shock pivot. Fortuneatly the Swingarm bearing's are all good!

The frame has been sandblasted, had a small crack welded up, and is now powdercoated pearl white. The passenger rearsets have been polished. Here are is a photo that show's how cruddy the passenger footpegs looked, as well as the general condition f the frame, including the crack near the right passenger footrest mount.
View attachment 35741

The next two photo's are of one of the passenger footrest hangers polished, and the newly powdercoated frame...
View attachment 35742

View attachment 35743

The wheels are next, off to be powdercoated in same Pearl White.

The Exhaust headers are also ready to go off and be re-chromed.

The rear shock is due to leave this week, for a complete re-build, including a new spring.

The Carbie's are also due to go to the same shop for anoverhaul.

I have just sourced a secondhand motor, which i will drop in for the meantime, whilst i re-build the other motor i have here, with Vee-Two Cams, etc....hi-po motor!

The swingarm pivot shaft as been polished, swingarm cleaned up, and all of it put back together...
View attachment 35744

Cleaned up the subframe, hand polished that.

Mikey fine polished the top triple clamp...top job Mikey!
View attachment 35745

So, in fact, we have been so busy, the bike will probably be pretty close to finished in about 5 or 6 weeks time...

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
I have also bought a set of OEM mufflers, that are brand new, still in their plastic from the Factory!!! They have not arrived yet, so no photo as yet.

I found some very reasonably priced wheel bearing's for the front & rear wheels, and some new sintered brake pad's for the rear brake...

i also have a set of OEM clip-on's on order. Have bought a new set of All Ball's Head bearing's, and OEM bearing's for the rear shock pivot. Fortuneatly the Swingarm bearing's are all good!

The frame has been sandblasted, had a small crack welded up, and is now powdercoated pearl white. The passenger rearsets have been polished. Here are is a photo that show's how cruddy the passenger footpegs looked, as well as the general condition f the frame, including the crack near the right passenger footrest mount.
View attachment 35741

The next two photo's are of one of the passenger footrest hangers polished, and the newly powdercoated frame...
View attachment 35742

View attachment 35743

The wheels are next, off to be powdercoated in same Pearl White.

The Exhaust headers are also ready to go off and be re-chromed.

The rear shock is due to leave this week, for a complete re-build, including a new spring.

The Carbie's are also due to go to the same shop for anoverhaul.

I have just sourced a secondhand motor, which i will drop in for the meantime, whilst i re-build the other motor i have here, with Vee-Two Cams, etc....hi-po motor!

The swingarm pivot shaft as been polished, swingarm cleaned up, and all of it put back together...
View attachment 35744

Cleaned up the subframe, hand polished that.

Mikey fine polished the top triple clamp...top job Mikey!
View attachment 35745

So, in fact, we have been so busy, the bike will probably be pretty close to finished in about 5 or 6 weeks time...

It's like 1.30am here in QLD (assuming like 12.30am wherever the he'll you are) was it that exciting a day with the shoot that you can't sleep, or are you just a wee bit of an insomniac?

Also, looking sweet.

If you want the same pegs again (in almost any colour) call up MCAS au (google them) - I think they are in Melbourne, and they do that exact design for like $50/pr express delivered.

Figure you probably want something a bit more retro, but just in case.

Also, looking sweet.

:)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

It's like 1.30am here in QLD (assuming like 12.30am wherever the he'll you are) was it that exciting a day with the shoot that you can't sleep, or are you just a wee bit of an insomniac?

Also, looking sweet.

If you want the same pegs again (in almost any colour) call up MCAS au (google them) - I think they are in Melbourne, and they do that exact design for like $50/pr express delivered.

Figure you probably want something a bit more retro, but just in case.

Also, looking sweet.

:)

Lol, no i dont sleep much! It's not insomnia, it's just i like to keep busy! I have a Photo shoot at 9.30am in the morning, and i am still to take the baffles out the exhaust, and remove the rego holder from the bike, after taking it for a ride this afternoon.

Back to the other bike....i painted the fork lower's....as they were very scratched, stone chipped, and faded, i re-painted them in a low maintenance satin black.
View attachment 35747

View attachment 35748

And the radiator was looking very tired....
View attachment 35749

Fixed that too!
View attachment 35750

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Keep the pics coming Jamie , you know im lovin' it :thumbup: :rockon: :rockon: Project TRX is exciting me :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Keep the pics coming Jamie , you know im lovin' it :thumbup: :rockon: :rockon: Project TRX is exciting me :D

It's going to be a very sweet ride once it is finished....no cutting corners, just methodical, decent quality resto work, should be as neat as a pin, and a joy to ride when we are done....

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

And when its done im coming to Adelaide just to drool over it :D

I am hoping that when it's done it will be magazine worthy.....

:D

Here are some photo's of the filth i have had to start from....
View attachment 35763

View attachment 35764

View attachment 35765

View attachment 35766

My parts washer is completely trashed.....well the kero in it is, anyway!

Mikey and myself were both up to our elbows in ****e about 20 times cleaning up this bike!!!

:eek:

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site

Beautiful bike. That is amazing work. Once again, you are a god when it comes to bike modding/restoration. I love the TRX, just sucks they were never sold in Canada.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Beautiful bike. That is amazing work. Once again, you are a god when it comes to bike modding/restoration. I love the TRX, just sucks they were never sold in Canada.

Well, there ya go, i didsnt know that the TRX was not sold in Canada! Nor the US i gather as well???

Would explain why there is not much around in terms of parts, etc, for TRX's in that part of the World!

Thanks for the nice words also.... :thumbup:

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site

Not in the US either. It really is a shame, I absolutely love them. I would sell my FZ6 for one in a heart beat. North America tends to get shafted when it comes to some really neat models.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Not in the US either. It really is a shame, I absolutely love them. I would sell my FZ6 for one in a heart beat. North America tends to get shafted when it comes to some really neat models.

It is a great shame... The TRX won bike of the year in Australia in 1996!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Just received a note in my letterbox...the rear brake disc is waiting for me at the post office! The first of last weekend's buying spree, has arrived! Woop!

Also, am just about to go pick up the wheels off the bike, which have had the tyres taken off, bearing's removed, valves removed....are now ready to powdercoat. At the same time, i will be picking up my new clip-on handlebar's (OEM).

Dropping the wheels off for powdercoating today. Dropping the headers off for re-chroming today as well.

Yesterday i put the rear shock in for a repair (remote reservoir is seized!), and i dropped the carbies off for electrostatic cleaning, and a service too...

I am "neck deep" in the this resto project now...

Might have some very exciting news re engine stuff to tell you all about in next few days....i have an "evil plan", just waiting to see whether i can get my hands on a necessary "unobtainable" piece of evilness, to facilitate my evil plan! :sinister:

This is starting to get exciting....

:Flash::mikebike:

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
Just received a note in my letterbox...the rear brake disc is waiting for me at the post office! The first of last weekend's buying spree, has arrived! Woop!

Also, am just about to go pick up the wheels off the bike, which have had the tyres taken off, bearing's removed, valves removed....are now ready to powdercoat. At the same time, i will be picking up my new clip-on handlebar's (OEM).

Dropping the wheels off for powdercoating today. Dropping the headers off for re-chroming today as well.

Yesterday i put the rear shock in for a repair (remote reservoir is seized!), and i dropped the carbies off for electrostatic cleaning, and a service too...

I am "neck deep" in the this resto project now...

Might have some very exciting news re engine stuff to tell you all about in next few days....i have an "evil plan", just waiting to see whether i can get my hands on a necessary "unobtainable" piece of evilness, to facilitate my evil plan! :sinister:

This is starting to get exciting....

:Flash::mikebike:

This is all a little exciting. I think we all need more pics so we can close our eyes and pretend like we're there :)

muck_mahone

Reaction score
Visit site

Do you know of a good parts source for the TRX, mine's under the house for now, she seems to have misplaced her compression and I have been unable to find it. I thought about a second hand motor but I was quoted 2,400 for one with 37k's on it. I should probably pull her head off and sort her out myself.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Do you know of a good parts source for the TRX, mine's under the house for now, she seems to have misplaced her compression and I have been unable to find it. I thought about a second hand motor but I was quoted 2,400 for one with 37k's on it. I should probably pull her head off and sort her out myself.

That's about the cost of a secondhand donk for a TRX....they are not cheap! The reason is because the motor's are sort after for Go-karts!!!! it's the 270 degree crank throw (Big Bang) thing...gives great traction off turns!

As for a good source for parts! E-Bay!!! Truly, is the only place i have been able to find much! Other than buying New OEM replacement parts, which i have done for certain things...which aint cheap!

As with all of this resto stuff, it is definitely a case of doing what you can yourself, to save cash...so get that motor out the bike...it aint hard on the TRX, takes about 30 minutes max to get the donk out, thanks to the frame set up on the bike....

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Ok, have been busy.....first of all the Coerce Rearsets arrived yesterday, and i had them out the packaging within minutes of their arrival, and have built them, and put them on the sub frame already....they are super trick, and the quality is superb! i just love billet!!! Even the brake light switch fitted perfectly!
View attachment 35912

View attachment 35913

While i was at it, i grabbed the brembo rear master cylinder, masked it up, and gave it a few coats of gloss black paint, to freshen it up....
View attachment 35914

My new wavey style stainless rear brake disc, along with a set of new sintered rear brake pads, turned up late last week...
View attachment 35915

In preparation for putting the brakes back together, i cleaned the goodridge braided lines, re-polished the stainless steel fitting's, and re-polished the banjo bolts, and copper washers...
View attachment 35916