Project TRX! A semi faithful restoration! Finished! :)

Should i leave the bike with OEM Paint scheme?

• White frame, and plain RED OEM paintwork

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • White frame, RED bodywork with WHITE racing stripe full length of the bike

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Awesome! And sucks about the leak but I can't wait to see just what that bad boy will really do once it's tuned, I bet it's a dream to ride and with all that torque, I bet it's beastly!

Yesm, well, i rolled the dice with a cheaper aftermarket alternative on a vital part, or parts, in this case...and lost!

Now it looks like i will have to wait and see whether it is the Gasket that has failed, or whether it is someting else that has caused the issue...

But the reality is, the fault lies with the gasket kit, and as it is aftermarket, i am going to have to pay, not only for the replacement OEM gaskets, and the labour to fix the problem...which, unless i can negotiate a reduced rate on the labour, i could be up for another $500 plus on the bike build....a build that has already gone way over my initial budget...

Regardless, it is a beautiful bike, and if this is the only major drama i have upon completion of the build, then i suppose i have done ok.

I just want to get it right....wont rest until it is...i have no choice to really, as i already have so much coin invested in the project...

life is too short to let stuff like this get too far up ya clacker!

:thumbup:

Yes Sir!

My one track mind has gotten me in trouble before, but has also rewarded me well.....

Keep on truckin' brotha!!!!!

By now $500 is pocket change:thumbup:

Bike shop got the wrong Gasket's for me, and the right one's wont be in until Monday, so the bike will sit in a workshop all weekend...

I just hope that it's just the head gasket that has failed, and it aint something more sinister....

:eek:

Bike shop got the wrong Gasket's for me, and the right one's wont be in until Monday, so the bike will sit in a workshop all weekend...

I just hope that it's just the head gasket that has failed, and it aint something more sinister....

:eek:

This one better be on the house

I'm an OEM Guy when it comes to parts. They cost more, but there is as reason why. When I did my Woodcraft side covers I sprung for the OEM gaskets. They cost more, but I've had no issues at all.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

This one better be on the house

I'm an OEM Guy when it comes to parts. They cost more, but there is as reason why. When I did my Woodcraft side covers I sprung for the OEM gaskets. They cost more, but I've had no issues at all.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

Yes, i am normally the same, but in this case, i was talked into going aftermarket....

At this point, i think the only cost i am going to incure, is the Gaskets....and i have ordered the base, head, and rocker cover gaskets from Yamaha...even though only one is stuffed, whilst the head is off, i am replacing all 3 just for piece of mind, more than anything....Every other part i got for the motor is OEM!

Well this blows....sitting here in my Mancave, one bike down, and missing the thing already....bloody hell!

Now that i have had a "taste" i want more....NOW!

Good thing though, i got to take the black bike out for a ride yesterday, and whilst it is oh so different, it reminded me of just how nice that bike is to ride...

And as such, has given me a good reference point to use to get the TRX where it needs to be!

I reckon after 3000km's, it will be fully Synthetic 7100 Motul oil in the TRX...cause the FZ6 drinks that stuff, and it's motor, and gearbox are silky smooth as a result!

You can definitely feel the difference....TRX is running full mineral oil at the moment.

Well today, the replacement OEM head gasket turned up, so now it's just a matter of dropping the motor out, fitting the Rubber Rocker Cover Gasket, and the Head & Base Gaskets...

Am pretty sure it is only the head gasket that is screwed, but as i said before, best replace all 3 aftermarket gaskets with OEM gaskets whilst i have the bike apart...regardless of the cost! :(

My personalised number plate also turned up today...very swish, that will go on the bike before it leaves the workshop, for the ride back home...

When i picked up the Head Gasket, the bike shop also had a nice new Aluminium GYTR badge to go on my GYTR race pipe on the bike...this should finish off the Muffler nicely, when i fit it, after the bike comes back from the shop...

will post photo's once i have fitted the badge...

should have the bike back on the road, by the end of the week...

WIN!

I think i will be getting the bike back today....

Head Gasket issue fixed, a much better state of tune below 3000rpm, and with the nice shiny new personalised number plate attached...

Then it's home for a fit up of the replacement GYTR badge for the muffler, and a quick clean...then it's off for a weekend full of enjoyable rides hopefully...

Well i just got back from the shop, where the TRX is in 2 pieces, with the motor, subframe, swingarm, and rear wheel, pulled away from the rest of the bike as one! Neat trick that! Thanks Mr Yamaha!

Anyway, head is off, and i just saw where the problem was...the Aftermarket Head Gasket differs from the OEM head gasket in that it does not have a raised lip on the inner and outer edges of the gasket surface...

We think this may be part of the reason for the leak...you can see that the oil has blown past at 2 seperate points at the rear of the head, on either side of the rear studs...

The studs were torqued to 30pd/ft, but when they were taken off, there was only 25pd/ft of torqued resistance....which is a little worrying...

We dont think the studs are stretched, and will see what happens when we put the new OEM head gasket in place, and will most probably torque the M8 engine studs to 35pd/ft, and maybe use some bonding solution on the gasket...

Both the mechanic and myself seem to think that the Aftermarket gasket hasnt coped with the increase in compression that this motor now has....

Anyway, it's all going back together this arvo, and we are going to drop the oil whilst we are there, fit a new filter, and i will take the bike and run it for about 300 kilometres this weekend, then we will take the head off again, have a quick check on things, and hopefully, all will be good...

So, the restoration/ re-build process continues...

Well, as expected, i got the bike back on Friday, and have managed to get about 300km's riding in since i got it back!

First of all, looks like thev Head Gasket problem is fixed...not once all weekend, did the bike's temperature get above 70c! Win! No leaks, Win! :thumbup:

second of all, the bike has had it's carby's fiddled with a little more, and has been back up on the Dyno, and is running at lot lot better under 3000rpm now....the nasty little dip in the dyno graph has almost dissapeared, and instead of making 26hp at 2400rpm, the bike is now making 36hp at 2400rpm...

Didnt really hurt up top at all, still pulls hard as hell from 4000rpm, through to 8500rpm, before hitting the rev ceiling at 9500rpm.

Stiffened up the rear suspension a bit over the weekend as weel, and i gotta say, the bike is feeling pretty damn good!

This is a very easy bike to ride fast! fast and assured too....is extremely good through corners, going in, in the middle, and coming out...fast steering, very flickable, stable at full lean, and as for the motor...this thing is the bomb!

I will have to post some video!

Have done just over 900km's since the rebuild now, one oil change at 600km's, and wont do another until 3000km's, when i change from mineral oil, to fully synthetic oil.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Oh, another thing.....so far, over the 900km's i haved travelled on the bike, i have returned an average fuel consumption of 7litres per 100km travelled. Getting about 14km's per litre.

18 litre tank equals a range of about 250km's out of a full tank, including reserve...

I dont think this is to bad for a bike that has a motor with serious performance modifications to the exhaust, carbies, and most significantly, the motor...

I reckon if i was in touring mode, the economy would improve lots, cause of all of the kilometres i have done on the bike so far, have been in sports riding mode...

So maybe closer to a 300km range in touring mode??? will have to take the bike on a tour! :D

Ok project update....the bike has now done just over 3200km's! The Dunlop Q2 tyres i put on the bike are done! The rear is pretty much bald, and the front is dead on the sides! The motor has loosened up and smoothed out.

I did an oil change at about 2600km's, dumping the full mineral oil i had in there, and replaced it with Motul 7100 fully synthetic oil....bad idea! It seems TRX's dont like full synthetic oil, or more precisely, TRX clutches dont like it! Clutch started to slip, and motor sounded a bit noisy!

So it was one ride with that oil in it, then i replaced it with Yamalube full mineral oil 15w/50 grade.

All is good again! So i now know, good quality full mineral oil is all the bike needs, apparently a lot of 90's Yamaha's do best on full mineral oils...

Anyway, the carby's have settled down, but still need a little bit of tweaking, but i expected that, and that will happen over winter, a carby tune, and dyno session.

The rest of the resto work has held up well, and the only problem i have had with "trim" is that i lost the pillion seat on the freeway recently, after i failed to put it back on correctly, after a random license & rego check on my bike, one sunday morning!!! I was riding with a buddy, who picked the seat up for me...a little worse for wear! :( But i have a spare one here, so popped that one on for now, tiull i get the other seat recovered! :spank:

The engine paint still looks brand new, the custom headers, and GYTR race pipe, sound & look great, and also are a doddle to keep clean!

This bike hauls! Is noticeably quicker off the mark than the FZ6 in my shed! And is just about as nimble!

Anyway, i am not far off having wrist surgery, so i will be off the bike for up to 14 -15 weeks soon, so that's when it will get new rubber, a bit of tuning, and maybe even a new coat of paint for the bodywork.

Gotta say i love this bike, amazing "lazy" fast thing that it is, but i still love my Fizzer just as much...with Fresh Supercorsa's on the Fizzer, it's a pretty handy lil bike!

Here are a few photo's...it now has a clear screen, with a "touring lip", which pushes air over my head, rather than at my shoulders, as with the sports screen i had on the bike at first.

The GYTR pipe, now has a new GYTR badge on it...looks complete now.

View attachment 41090

View attachment 41091

View attachment 41092

View attachment 41093

View attachment 41094

View attachment 41095

Looks slightly better than last time I saw it LOL

Paint job is great - shiny red and purdy :)

The frame would of been hanging up in the shed about then i reckon??? We didnt get started on the rebuild till after we got back from Tassie...

:D

Back