Powerlet outlet locations?

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I need to mount a Powerlet on my bike... What have some of you used for locations???

I should mention I'd like it low, and on the left side of the bike. That's where my electric vest cord hangs and I'd like it accessable, but out of the way.. Mostly so the cord isn't rubbing on the bike while riding..

I was thinking about the drain area at the base of the toolbox, sticking out of the black plastic area under the seat.. I also have access to carbon fiber plate and can drill a piece out and mount it on a fastener that has access..

Anybody here come up with a cool mounting location??

Here's where I mounted one on my Wing..
IMGP1106.jpg

And on the KLR..
klrlft.jpg

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This has been covered many times. Try a search and you'll get plenty of hits, but here you go:

12861d1234385781-practical-one-12v-socket-heated-vest-plug.jpg

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This has been covered many times. Try a search and you'll get plenty of hits, but here you go:

12861d1234385781-practical-one-12v-socket-heated-vest-plug.jpg

That's the exact spot I was considering!! Thanks for the photo!!

As far as covering many times, I know.. I was tired, it was late, and I know better since I'm a Super Moderator on another forum, but..:spank:

What I was also considering is using that location to mount a carbon fiber plate, with the outlet exiting just below the drain location..

I don't actually have a FZ6 as I type this post.. 11 hours from now, I can look for myself..:cheer: Picking up a 2007 tonight..

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i bought a 1 metre cable thinking it'd be long enough to run a socket under the seat..

it's about 2 inches too short!

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
it's about 2 inches too short!

That's what she said!! :BLAA:

I don't think I've ever had a chance to use that line before.. :D

As far as the new bike, the deal's done.. I put $500 down on it Monday night, but didn't have a way to get it home.. Taking the rest of the cash over tonight, along with my truck and hauling it home.. (I hate being an inconvenience to others and asking for a 1 1/2 hour ride each way)

Anyway, 7500 miles, full Givi set-up with V35 and V46 bags, and all kinds of other touring add-ons.. Just like new condition and well cared for.. Woman touring rider who's going to a 1250 Bandit..

Pics of the bike and what I end up with for a outlet to follow.:thumbup:

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay I have a dumb question. When adding 12v outlets can you just wire them straight to the positive and negative battery terminals? I need to add a GPS to my bike.

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay I have a dumb question.

There are no dumb questions...:thumbup:

It all depends on if you want your GPS power to be on if the bike is off or not. If you wire direct, the GPS wire will be hot at all times, and as long as you fuse the power lead, you're good!! (GPS's take almost zip for juice, so a 5 amp fuse will be overkill)..

I actually JUST got home from picking up my bike, and I haven't had a chance to look into the fuse box for a switched connector. My power cord for my 2610 Garmin was just shipped today, and I always have that lead switched.

As far as my Powerlet, I'll run that direct with 12 gauge wire (fused at 10 amps) so I can run my air mattress blower without turning the bike on.. I gave up sleeping on the ground years ago..;)

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
There are no dumb questions...:thumbup:

It all depends on if you want your GPS power to be on if the bike is off or not. If you wire direct, the GPS wire will be hot at all times, and as long as you fuse the power lead, you're good!! (GPS's take almost zip for juice, so a 5 amp fuse will be overkill)..

I actually JUST got home from picking up my bike, and I haven't had a chance to look into the fuse box for a switched connector. My power cord for my 2610 Garmin was just shipped today, and I always have that lead switched.

As far as my Powerlet, I'll run that direct with 12 gauge wire (fused at 10 amps) so I can run my air mattress blower without turning the bike on.. I gave up sleeping on the ground years ago..;)

Good point about the constant current. I'm good about turning it off so it won't be a problem.