Pop Goes the Tire!

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Well my rear tire has been about due for a replacement for a little while but I've been putting it off. Well today I was riding down the highway (not gonna lie, I was speeding a little, there was a new Camaro SS I was playing with) and all of a sudden my bike started fishtailing and swerving to the right. It was a little disconcerting to say the least. Anyways I pull over (thankfully there was a decent sized shoulder on this portion of highway) and this is what I find:

0811001714a.jpg

Hmm I think its a little low.

I put it on the centerstand in neutral and spun it to find the puncture. There actually was no hole, I had somehow snapped my valve stem. I figured maybe something had flown in the wheel and whacked the stem, but it was snapped off the opposite direction, like it happened while I was going very fast in reverse.:confused:

0811001714.jpg

Anyways, the Pilot Power 2CT lasted a while and I was satisfied with it. This time around I am trying the new Metzeler M5 Interact. I just got the rear for now, I need to get a new front fender before I get the new front tire so it doesn't rub.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
My local dealer installs a new valve stem with every tire. They claim their insurance company requires them to do so. Your pic may prove them right.
Only a few bucks so no big deal.

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
well, sh1t happens! its nice to be alright though, tire pop while playing around can result to a very bad accident

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had 2 trailer tires (2 separate times) blow out which I had bought from "Northern tool" (bought tire/rim/valve as an assembly). A third tire went flat while sitting (due to the valve). Anyway, I replaced ALL the valves myself on the bike trailer (with lube to prevent tearing). No problems since. You can gently push the valve to either side and look for any tearing at the base. If you see any, I'd be replacing them ASAP.

I found the valve stems were apparently pulled into the rim without any lubricant and the valves themselves were TORN at the base (maybe halfways thru the valve) where it pulls thru the rim....

Good save BTW...

Last edited: