Polishing Exhaust Headers

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine uses plastic pop rivets, but being black on black I wasn't too worried about it looking out of place:

5eacef729630f31c88ec3fab8be57c92.jpg

As an all year rounder myself, I don't bother with the headers at all in winter. They get polished up for Ride to the Wall in October, then the bike gets treated with ACF50, then it's only fresh water wash downs and chain scrubs until April. Trying to keep headers shiny through winter is just pointless. But once the salt is cleared from the road, I set aside a full deep clean day (we're talking maybe four hours?) for a full scrub down and polish, then it's just a weekly touch up through summer, easy.

If you're riding all year, you might want to think about some better radiator protection. The stuff flying off the front tyre in winter is horrific and I don't rate the standard plastic radiator cover at all:

cdd3c719328175047e3f32957221ffe9.jpg

Last edited:

summerb37

Reaction score
Visit site
When I bought my bike, I had a wish list of accessories, and the front fender extender was on the list for consideration. I have invested so much into it (much more expensive in Canada) at this point that accessories not bought have been, in a way, forgot. My focus is now more about money for maintenance.

Now, I try not to get caught in the rain and the bike is used for recreation (not a commuter).

On my old FJR and also the FZ, I installed a "Fenda Extenda";
Fenda Extenda, Extender Fenders, Motorcycle Fender Extenders by Pyramid

Fits like a glove and helps keeping some trash off the upper header as wel as rocks away from the fan motor/radiator.

Yours, being a commuter, would also benefit from a little less water spray from the front wheel in wet weather.. (Its glued on, NOT bolted for a cleaner install). Highly recommended..

summerb37

Reaction score
Visit site
That is one thing that I did buy from Europe, a stainless steel radiator cover.

Mine uses plastic pop rivets, but being black on black I wasn't too worried about it looking out of place:

If you're riding all year, you might want to think about some better radiator protection. The stuff flying off the front tyre in winter is horrific and I don't rate the standard plastic radiator cover at all:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Just an FYI and you may have already addressed it.

It appears in your fender picture, the loop, brake line retainer, (atop the fender) doesn't have the brake line securred..

Screwed up the quote, :(....

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Randy, (without reading back 13 pages of this thread), I gather you DID have to mod some to make the S1 pipe fit?? If so what specific mods were needed?

Or did the pipe fit W/O any mods?

I'm also curious, leaving the REAR, verticle CAT IN, after gutting or replacing the header (with an S1), how does the ECU deal with this? (IE, air too dirty, lean out the mixture %, or? )

Most everything is in the other thread.. Start at post 22, skip to 38 onward. 08 FZ6 Condensed Build thread ~Final Impact~

Short answer is the Header fits after A choice is made; swap to an S1 pan, or remove a protrusion from the S2 pan. The later needs a TIG welder. S1 mid-pip is shorter, so make a shorter section there and add an O2 bung for the sensor.
There was no gutting - think in terms of straight pipe! That said it appears the ECM can cope with a good bit of change. However, with the timing advance and cat free, it appears the O2 sensor voltage is a cpl millivolts lower than it was before I did this. I'm not sure it that's from temperature change or the bias of the header cats to O2 sensor as MOST engines run the O2 sensor AHEAD of the CATs. A narrow band O2 sensor only detects oxygen and without those converters I really don't know enough just from reading the O2 sensor voltage. To be on the safe side its getting a fuel controller. I've had one for while but simply adding slip-ons didn't justify the effort of adding it and mapping it.
Any other questions on this topic, post it there and I'll respond to the best of my ability. :thumbup:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=6338]TownsendsFJR1300[/MENTION] yeah, it's cool. I took that pic once I'd put the mud guard back on, it was about a year ago now.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
OK - they've seen a few heat cycles now and lost that chrome look! Maybe the rain ride didn't help :don'tknow:

IMG_20150120_153919_560C_zps5914a86a.jpg

Wind was so strong here it nearly blew the bike over! Made me leap as she was moving!
IMG_20150120_153936_030_zps0132fac5.jpg

petergreko

limits are for suckers
Reaction score
Visit site
You guys have inspired me.

Before:
xaJUvqY.jpg

roI8wyN.jpg

First pass:
Lck8qZZ.jpg

NFXrewl.jpg

Second pass, 1 pipe down, 3 to go:
zm7s1yY.jpg

I could see how this can become an obsession.........

....just a little more shine

DDS_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I originally used a microfiber cloth on mine with Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish. It works like a charm but its exhausting. I got a Mother's Powerball from my local auto part store and used my drill to polish them out. It may take a couple of charges but it to the job done! I definitely caution agains using wet sand paper or steel wool. They might seem like a shortcut to getting the water spots out but you will spend more time trying to get the abrasion out in the polishing phase than you would if you would have just started. Be sure to wash the Powerball with dish soap and water when you take breaks for the best shine.

seansi

Reaction score
Visit site

As an all year rounder myself, I don't bother with the headers at all in winter. They get polished up for Ride to the Wall in October, then the bike gets treated with ACF50, then it's only fresh water wash downs and chain scrubs until April. Trying to keep headers shiny through winter is just pointless. But once the salt is cleared from the road, I set aside a full deep clean day (we're talking maybe four hours?) for a full scrub down and polish, then it's just a weekly touch up through summer, easy.

Where do you buy a radiator guard like that?