Pledge on visor

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
My helmet visor cleans quite easily with just warm water and a micro-fiber towel.

I wouldn't put anything that is a polish or have a residue/oil of any kind.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
It should be ok, never thought about using it on my visor. I do use it on all my bikes after I watched the glider company use it on their glider canopy's for years.
Give it a try and let us know.

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
Plexus or water. I wouldn't use any other types of chemicals.

I learned my lesson when I squirted brake cleaner on my shield.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard of other people using it on their visor, it causes rain to run off easier. It's said to be harmless to your visor.

I've also heard that several of the car specific products (that does the same for car windscreens) can cause your visor to turn opaque :eek:

I've thought about using it but I'm worried about smearing it out/wiping it off, as I use a wiper on the side of my glove.

mikesova

Reaction score
Visit site
I use pledge on my helmet. It doesn't leave a residue as long as you rub it all out. It also acts as kind of a wax (there's some wax in pledge) to shed water, too.

I started using it on my KLX250 plastics and it worked so well, I use it all the time now for cleaning up all parts of the bike. I use it on the FZ6 now, too, when it's not "dirty" but it's dusty from sitting outside, helps get the bugs off the windscreen, etc.

mikesova

Reaction score
Visit site
Plexus or water. I wouldn't use any other types of chemicals.

I learned my lesson when I squirted brake cleaner on my shield.

Lol, was it an accident or were you seriously trying to clean your helmet?? I wouldn't recommend any type of solvent toclean plastic.

powpow2pavement

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep it works and I do it often on my entire helmet after I've cleaned (it's not for cleaning, only polishing/water resistance). Much cheaper than Plexus for the same results. Make sure you get the PLAIN LEMON PLEDGE, not the other varieties such as almond or whatever.

Works on TREATED leather as well, such as jackets, seats or your living room couch. Do the drop of water test; if the water stays beaded it is treated; the water drop soaks in after 5 minutes then it's not treated.

Last edited:

AthensGA37

Reaction score
Visit site
I use honda cleaner. Shockingly it works on Yami's too! I've tried plexus and the suzuki cleaner, but the honda just seems to work better and typically cheaper. I use it on everything; spot cleaning bike, visor, helmet, metal, plastic, even my costa sunglasses. It cleans and provides a little protection, especially on windscreens. if you wash your bike then apply some and buff it out, the next time you hit bugs, a quick squirt and wipe and they come right off. I highly recommend it.

Pro Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My personal experience working with plastics would be to be cautious with some products. Your face shield is most likely made of 2 parts and one part is a coating. Also consider that you have have weather seals that are a different material, that can deteriorate when exposed to the wrong chemicals.
I would shy away from Pledge but Plexus is good and always use a micro cloth as apposed to paper towels etc.

Last edited:

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
Lol, was it an accident or were you seriously trying to clean your helmet?? I wouldn't recommend any type of solvent toclean plastic.

Totally by acciddent. I was cleaning the bike using a few different chemicals. Had the bike on the centerstand in my small garage, grabbed a chemical without looking and squirted it on my sheild. :eek:

paulie75

Reaction score
Visit site
My experience with pledge is that is does work well on visors but I was using it with a hockey team I worked for. But use caution what motogiro said is true with the some of the visors we used, they have a coating on them and after a while it does eat away at it leaving a checkering effect to it and then it just looks foggy. I have been using lens wipes for years with no problems.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I use Meguires Quick Detailer on my visors as well as on my bike. It is something in between a cleaner and a wax, and keeps everything nice and shiny in between waxing.

Sean1274

Reaction score
Visit site
I am in the aviation field and I know a lot of pilots use pledge on their windows and it works really well. I don't know how it will react with the different color lens because planes just have clear.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am in the aviation field and I know a lot of pilots use pledge on their windows and it works really well. I don't know how it will react with the different color lens because planes just have clear.

Being in the aviation field this experience might interest you. The science and makeup of many materials today have recommendations by the manufacturer for care and cleaning.
Lexan (Dupont) is a very popular acrylic used in many applications including aircraft application.

One day a coworker drilled a hole in a piece of Lexan the drill bit had some oil on it and the oil got in the hole. He grabbed a bottle of alcohol and squirted it in the hole. I heard a loud snap and he grabbed his face. He was lucky nothing went into his eyes but he did get bits of Lexan stuck to his face. The acrylic went critical and fractured at an incredible rate. This is one lesson that stuck with me in regards to chemical sensitivities of many products we use today. I recommend using the products to clean and maintain that are recommended by the manufacturer and especially on aircraft. It may not be the main product you use for cleaning but another chemical or environmental factor where failure will occur. :)

There are many approved products specifically aimed at caring for plastics and they work really well if not better than Pledge. I like the lemony smell though....:D

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using pledge on my helmet visors for many years and on many different helmets and never had any kind of reaction. I also use it on the bikes windscreen and headlights. It makes removing the bugs easier when washing. I do agree that you should be careful on what you put on your visor but I've never heard of anyone using pledge that said it messed up their helmet visor.