Please Help!!!

firsttimefz

Reaction score
Visit site
tryign to do my first oil change this evening and after many attempts i was not able to get the oil filter off. tried twisting so hard that damage was done to the filter. i am now f**ked and i cannot ride the bike to pacyam because i dont know if i have killed the circulation through the filter. Anyone else have this problem and a possible solution. thanks

2-stroke

Reaction score
Visit site
I have never looked at the FZ's filter before. I have taken a screwdriver and pounded it into the filter and used it as a wrench. Make sure some else says this will work on the FZ I am assuming it is like a car filter and there is nothing to damage. And just to make sure double check you r turning it the correct way. When you put the new filter on use a little bit of oil on the seal it will prevent this problem and create a better seal

S

sportrider

get a large pair of channel locks. just move the wire for the kickstand saftey switch out of the way. remember righty tighty, lefty loosey. if that doesn't work you can punch a screw driver through the filter and spin it off that way, but the channel locks will do it.:thumbup:

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure you turn the filter counterclockwise. If you dont have a filter wrench go buy a strap version and use it to take it off. Its okay to damage the filter if you have to to remove it... Some one obviously over torqued it. most likley when it was first put on... Hopefully the theads are not damamged.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This was a first, a lot of us had difficulty removing the oil bolt plug rather than the filter. Or have you gotten there yet?

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Is this THE first oil & filter change on your bike or did PacYam do the last one?
PacYam did a first service on my bike. When I did the 2nd service myself (I'm a BC licensed automotive technician), I found that both the drain plug and the oil filter were grossly over-torqued by the muscle-brained "mechanic" at PacYam.
If your current filter is a Yamaha filter, I have the Yamaha oil filter tool if you need to borrow it. I also have a strap oil filter tool. Where are you located in Vancouver?
PM me.

fudge_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
My advise is to buy a new filter every time you change your oil. For me I Like was suggested before just drive a screwdriver through it and take it off new filters just need to go on hand tight. but make sure you put a little oil on the rubber o-ring at the top of the filter before you replace it.