Plasti Dip

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
Wanting a bit of a change - not necessarily bike, maybe just colour - I contemplated Vinyl. Discarding that, I came across Plasti Dip and after spending a bit of time on their forums, seeing what can be done I thought, yep that's for me.

Here's a before shot (nothing wrong with the paint, just wanted a change). Yes, I know. I now have NO belly pan :(

And a few after shots:

And my handlebar clamp too:

It was real easy to apply, gives agreat finish and only cost me AUD$90-. I think that is great, but based on what I bought I reckon it would only be about USD$25!

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks awesome! Makes me want to experiment on my bike. The only thing I could think is that the area on the tank where your legs hit it might get worn. Post up after a couple months of riding and let us know how it's holding up

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks GREAT:thumbup:
I have not read much about the Plasti Dip, how is it for long term and duribility?

Hal Incandenza

Reaction score
Visit site
This may be a dumb question but did you remove everything to apply the plasti-dip to each part? just wondering if there's some way to tape around to avoid having to disassemble stuff... looks awesome btw!

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks awesome! Makes me want to experiment on my bike. The only thing I could think is that the area on the tank where your legs hit it might get worn. Post up after a couple months of riding and let us know how it's holding up

Yeah, that was my concern too. I was going to put some tank pads on, like Stomp Grips or similar, but the 'experts' recommend just to wax it. Doing that today, then the first ride tomorrow. I do use the bike as a daily rider so it will certainly be put to the test.

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
I have not read much about the Plasti Dip, how is it for long term and duribility?

Supposedly great. There's thousands of threads over on DipYourCar.com Plasti Dip Community Forum and heaps of vids on Youtube. Hopefully they can't all be wrong. I don't mind reporting the bad aswell, so I'll keep everyone up to date on this thread.

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
This may be a dumb question but did you remove everything to apply the plasti-dip to each part? just wondering if there's some way to tape around to avoid having to disassemble stuff... looks awesome btw!

Thanks mate. A lot of peoples idea of using Plasti Dip is, because it just peels off when you want it to, they change the colour every few months or so. To do that you wouldn't mask anything. Just paint and peel off any overspray where you didn't want it. Any break in panels, etc can basically be peeled. Eg: I didn't mask off the lights. Just painted straight over then peeled it off.

Having said that, I wanted to get into every crevice, behind the screen, etc so I did pull it all apart. Didn't take that long and wasn't too bad. I only had one bit left over too :thumbup::D

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site

as long as nothing is rubbing against it its actually pretty durable. Lasted over a year so far on the rims of my car through a NY winter. recently did the rim on the bike.

twack

Reaction score
Visit site
Man im torn on this one. on the one hand the dip looks amazing on your bike. on the other hand i really liked the look of your bike before when you had the belly pan. either way, good job!

david323

Can't Re Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I plastidipped my seat cowl last year. I kept wearing though the top with my leg getting on and off and got sick o redoing it so I just painted it.

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
Man that looks great a few questions for you.

How many can's did you use?

Did you use just the cans or did you buy a paint gun?

How far away did hold the can while spraying?

How long did you let it set up before applying another coat and how many coats?

Thanks!

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
as long as nothing is rubbing against it its actually pretty durable. Lasted over a year so far on the rims of my car through a NY winter. recently did the rim on the bike.

How did you do your bike rims? Pull everything, sprockets, etc off? Or just do it on the bike?

Looks clean Sith Lord.. great job. :thumbup:

where did you buy your rear seat cowl?

On the bike when I bought it sorry, so no idea. I did buy it off a guy off this forum, so search hard enough and you may find the answer.....

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
Man im torn on this one. on the one hand the dip looks amazing on your bike. on the other hand i really liked the look of your bike before when you had the belly pan. either way, good job!

Thanks mate. I miss my belly pan too. I think I WILL get another one :thumbup:

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
I plastidipped my seat cowl last year. I kept wearing though the top with my leg getting on and off and got sick o redoing it so I just painted it.

First ride this morning to work. Without the Top Box on it now, I needed a backpack. I could feel the backpack rubbing on the cowl. Will be interesting to see how it goes

Man that looks great a few questions for you.

How many can's did you use? 3

Did you use just the cans or did you buy a paint gun? Rattle Cans

How far away did hold the can while spraying? 4 - 6 Inches give or take...

How long did you let it set up before applying another coat and how many coats? I did 4 coats in total. It's possibly a bit thin in places so 5 may have been better. Going to buy a 4th can today to touch up a few spots. Only left it an hour or so between coats. Did all 4 coats in one day. Apparently the tins using a compressor/gun puts the dip on thicker so not as many are required doing it that way. Not sure if we can buy tins in Australia though:confused:

Thanks!

Thanks mate. See above in Red

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
So I've been planning on going with plastidip for my next set of color changes. I love white bikes, but haven't ever been confident in my ability to get a great finish with real paint. Dip, while not permanent, makes things a lot easier. so yeah. I attached a pic explaining my plan/color scheme - this winter I'll be stripping the bike down and painting these things, with the end goal of having an FZ6 (naked) that has the same color scheme of the Daytona 675R.

Going with -
Pearl White wheels
Pearl White Tank
Pearl White side-pods
Pearl White headlight fairings

Red Subframe
Red Front Fender
Red Grab Bars
(possibly covering the red with the pearl color too, not sure how that would look)

Sanding down and actually repainting with real paint my tire hugger (matte black)

Probably putting black tank grips on before I dip. - how'd you mask off the Yamaha Logos?

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
Should look great. Be sure to post up pics during the process and when done. I'm contemplating white wheels for mine, but not sure on keeping them clean.... Possible Blaze Yellow instead?

Why not dip the rear hugger aswell? When first planning, I thought of dipping the mirrors, hugger, frame, etc, but the matte black is a real close match to the metals/plastics I didn't worry. You really can't tell.

No masking of the logos. Just peel it off when you're done. I sprayed straight over the logos, gas filler, head and tail lights, then peeled off when finished.