Photography Thread !!!

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's some pics from my weekend hike in the Columbia River Gorge- (Washington State and Oregon.) If any locals want to get together for a hike, hit me up.

A view from the highway out there. Beacon Rock appears in the distance which is in the area I hiked:
ibfkynYEpXKSSZ.jpg

Looking up at Hamilton Mountain from the trail:
i0XEnUlkdzVy0.jpg

Getting pretty high. Beacon Rock far below (world's largest freestanding monolith):
ip9K35DssdLNv.jpg

The view from the summit of Hamilton Mtn after 2,100 ft. elevation gain:
iUDfHExHxpQoK.jpg

Table Mountain on the left and Mt. Adams:
i2VNOHaweuqar.jpg

Zoom shot of Bonneville Dam:
iRe2imVMZy6Vf.jpg

Mount Hood @ max zoom:
iEedRSSi8iP5i.jpg

D

Dave.TX

Man, Darius. Someday I'll get back to the Pacific Northwest. I grew up in SoCal, miss the mountains. Beautiful scenery.

D

Dave.TX

Yes, nothing like taking in the commanding view of a mountain from its summit. I need to get atop a higher one now! :D

What camera did you use? It seems everything is tinted slighly blue. I know my cell phone camera doesn't reproduce reds very well.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
What camera did you use? It seems everything is tinted slighly blue. I know my cell phone camera doesn't reproduce reds very well.

The Columbia Gorge casts a blue haze likely from condensation. The hotter it is with little wind, the worse the haze.

It wasn't too bad that day, but enough to significantly impact the photos.

I have a Nikon D3100 and shot with a 35mm 1.8 prime and a 55-300mm 5.6 zoom.

D

Dave.TX

Darius, I can see how the conditions would cast a haze or color shift, seen it before.

Today I went on a ride out to Cooper's BBQ in Llano, TX. 225 miles round trip and averaged 48 mpg on my BMW! Anyway I stopped off at a place called Devil's Waterhole at Ink's Lake, just a little overlook. Snapped a few pics. Weather was 80's when I started out and 101 when I got home.

DSC00003_zpsb9feec7e.jpg

DSC00001_zpse2d2f20c.jpg

DSC00005_zps1bb49b38.jpg

DSC00006_zpsa4971315.jpg

DSC00007_zps0e2cf4f8.jpg

Camera: Sony DSLR A550, Lens: Sony 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, Filter: circular polarized

Last edited by a moderator:

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's some pics from my weekend hike in the Columbia River Gorge- (Washington State and Oregon.) If any locals want to get together for a hike, hit me up.

A view from the highway out there. Beacon Rock appears in the distance which is in the area I hiked:

Looking up at Hamilton Mountain from the trail:

Getting pretty high. Beacon Rock far below (world's largest freestanding monolith):

The view from the summit of Hamilton Mtn after 2,100 ft. elevation gain:

Table Mountain on the left and Mt. Adams:

Zoom shot of Bonneville Dam:

Mount Hood @ max zoom:

Chris, so are all of these filter free? I've shot a few in this town but honestly never had them so blue. My old 70-210 has a Tiffen Haze-1 filter and the 18 - 135 has a UV filter on it.
Dry hiking days are running short! Thanks for sharing those.
r

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Chris, so are all of these filter free? I've shot a few in this town but honestly never had them so blue. My old 70-210 has a Tiffen Haze-1 filter and the 18 - 135 has a UV filter on it.
Dry hiking days are running short! Thanks for sharing those.
r

Yes, no filters used. Actually, just picked up a polarizer from Amazon and will see if that helps cut out the haze.

Headed back out to the Gorge today. Not sure if I'll take the camera.. :D

acniss

Reaction score
Visit site
From the ride with my buddy Shannon today. Good thing I have DVR so I could record the game. Only the camera on the phone.

Sent from my HTC One using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

norcalwelder

Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice norcalwelder. :thumbup:

The work of an artist.:cheer:

Thanks for the kind words! All those were shot with my 5MP powershot, I need to upgrade one of these days! I never really go looking for a picture, I just happen to have a camera along and something will catch my eye while I'm on a trip. All the credit goes to my FZ6, it carrys me to all the awesome places that the pictures come from!

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's some pictures from hiking Mount Defiance on the Oregon side of the Columbia River Gorge.

In every shot I'm fighting the blue haze. The blue cast is visible to the eye but is hardly pleasing for photos so I'm trying my best to cut it out with a circular polarizer.

These kind of shots also throw off the white balance since they don't look 'normal' to the camera. Lots of editing to make them appear more normal.

Anyway here they are.

Going up w/ a view of Wind Mountain on the WA side:
iEvOKGROs1Noz.JPG

Still going up:
ibtmQtMgBgONam.JPG

Still going up and can now see Mt. St. Helens:
ib0t6UVboP3mv2.JPG

Finally at the summit of Defiance Mountain w/ a view of Mt. Hood
ibzwI5KcgjpThB.JPG

Zoom of Mt. Hood's north face
ibwKw28Fczdb7g.JPG