Paraplegic riders

Yamma~Tiger

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know how many of you guys have seen this before, but It's the first time I've seen anything like it. Really inspirational.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O1M7d6dxz8&feature=related]YouTube - My First R1 Ride with Stabilisers T5 Paraplegic[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7I16bPQM24&feature=fvw]YouTube - First ride[/ame]

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow thats is some major determination combined with some realy cool ingunuity right there..... :thumbup: :thumbup: :rockon:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't understand. What is this stabilizer used for? This device looks ridiculous, especcially with R1;)

Maybe something was lost in translation, I will give you the benefit of the doubt as you are not from an English speaking country.

paraplegic = someone who can't walk. Therefore needs something to balance the bike cos their legs don't work.

There is a guy in South Africa with these same outriggers on his R1 and he does trackdays like a madman!

zappa

Reaction score
Visit site
how does he shift or brake? You need both feets for that.

I saw someone who didn't have proper use of their legs, not paraplegic but even so, they had the gear and rear brake controls mounted on the handlebars.

I'm sure the gear changing and braking is the easiest part to modify. That bracket that comes down when the rider slows is much more impressive.

Kudos to the folk, it's great to see people overcome difficulty for something they enjoy doing. :)

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't know how to embed from vimeo but I posted this video awhile back.

Marc Ristori on Vimeo
And I've just had a look at it, thanks to Motogiro posting me a copy of the DVD over to sunny Australia :D

I can only hope that if anything like this happened to me, or to someone I loved, I would have the inclination and guts to do something like this.

These people amaze me.....

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I saw this video. Its incredible isn't it.... When you have a passion? The guys on the street bikes though really take it to a next level. I don't know If I would have the courage to do what they do. RESPECT. AND LOTS OF IT.

Took the words(text?) write out of my mouth(fingers?). I wonder though, do the arms automatically come down, or do the riders activate them via a button or something? Either way, I like it! Technology and willpower FTW!

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The R1 I saw had outriggers that were controlled by the rider. The bike also had buttons to change gear and the rear brake pedal had been removed so that it wasn't pressed by accident!

Yamma~Tiger

Reaction score
Visit site
Took the words(text?) write out of my mouth(fingers?). I wonder though, do the arms automatically come down, or do the riders activate them via a button or something? Either way, I like it! Technology and willpower FTW!

Yeah...I think the Kawa in the second vid had a switch on the bar that controls the bars. At least thats what the guy said on a comment. Don't know for sure about the R1 though. It would be nice if It was sensor activated. You know? Like it comes down automatically when the bike slows to a certain speed.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah...I think the Kawa in the second vid had a switch on the bar that controls the bars. At least thats what the guy said on a comment. Don't know for sure about the R1 though. It would be nice if It was sensor activated. You know? Like it comes down automatically when the bike slows to a certain speed.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. A manual override would still be necessary though, for two reasons.

1. Safety! If the sensor fails, what then? Perhaps a light that comes on should the sensor fail as well. Redundancy would be a good thing in this case.

2. Slow speed maneuvers. Stuff like u-turns, parking lots, etc....Don't want the arms coming down in those situations.

Surely someone has done this already. It'd be pretty simple to integrate.

I'm also amazed at how these dudes control everything with their hands, and then add the armature control to the mix. One more thing to think about and control while riding! I doubt I could do that, at least not without a ton of practice. lol