Oil Change

cyprusgrump

Reaction score
www.virtual-pub.com
I'm about to do my first oil/filter change at 1,000Km...

It seems bizarre that you then don't have to change the oil 'til 10,000Km and the filter at 20,000Km. The reason for doing the 1,000Km change is that the engine is 'bedding-in' and I find it hard to believe that this process is completely finished at 1,001Km.

All my riding here is hot/dusty and the oil will be taking a severe punishment. So, I'm figuring that I'll fit in a second oil/filter change at 5,000Km and then follow the book.

Any thoughts on service intervals?

C-bus Biker

Reaction score
Visit site
The dealer instructed me to change the oil every 2000 miles or 3200 Km if using standard oil. Every 4000 miles/6400 Km if using synthetic. I'm not inferring that this is good advice or bad advice, it was simply what my instructions were.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Follow the OM and you'll be good to go! And you are correct if it is very dusty you may need to change the oil more often. Check your air filter too.

(none)

Not even here
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm about to do my first oil/filter change at 1,000Km...

It seems bizarre that you then don't have to change the oil 'til 10,000Km and the filter at 20,000Km. The reason for doing the 1,000Km change is that the engine is 'bedding-in' and I find it hard to believe that this process is completely finished at 1,001Km.

All my riding here is hot/dusty and the oil will be taking a severe punishment. So, I'm figuring that I'll fit in a second oil/filter change at 5,000Km and then follow the book.

Any thoughts on service intervals?

The 1k service really isn't for breaking in as much as it is for getting any contaminants out. This is really a moot point any more as everything is made so clean now a days there isn't much of anything to come out. You figure car companies no longer recommend a 500 or 1000mi service any more as it isn't needed. I still do it just because the manufacturer recommends it.
About the 10k services, i'd wager this has a lot to do with the way oil is handled in europe and in other parts of the countries. It costs you all much more for an oil change and oil then it does us. We have our oil changes recommended at 4k mile intervals (less than 7,000km) with a filter changed every time. Since the filter is so easy to get to and you are right there when you drain the oil, might as well do them both at the same time.

The dealer instructed me to change the oil every 2000 miles or 3200 Km if using standard oil. Every 4000 miles/6400 Km if using synthetic. I'm not inferring that this is good advice or bad advice, it was simply what my instructions were.

You are going to believe the dealer over the people who made the motorcycle? They know what oil is recommended for the bike and how long it will last. No way i'd even think of changing my oil every 2k miles, that's every 3-4 weeks or so!

Either way guys, don't fret. When is the last time you heard of any oil related failure to a FZ6 or any japanese motorcycle motor? The manufacturers don't set those regulations so you can blow your motor in a year and then hope you come buy a new one! Just keep the crankcase full of a quality oil and ride on.

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I change my oil every three to four k. I use Amsoil. I have found it to be the best. I have used Yamalube, Rotella and Lucas oils, and for my experince I have that Amsoil to be the best. My engine runs cooler and shifts smoother.

Doc

IceCarver

Reaction score
Visit site
Follow the OM and you'll be good to go! And you are correct if it is very dusty you may need to change the oil more often. Check your air filter too.

"A boy who has a unicorn ranch in his bedroom shouldn't call other people strange." Hank Hill

yes we know all about rancho unicorno

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Please use the search function on the site. :welcome:

Use oil. Change it sometimes, as well as the filter. :thumbup:

And please close this thread. :spank:

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
The fact that people post to these threads, even angry posts prove that deep down inside they really want these threads to exist and flourish.

LONG LIVE THE OIL THREADS!!! The only true constant in our universe. :rof:

cyprusgrump

Reaction score
www.virtual-pub.com
Oh dear... :rolleyes:

canworms.jpg

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
i don't see the big deal. most of the posts in here are people saying that these threads are bad. i can say from my stand point that it's pretty frustrating. i have a ton of questions i'd like to ask but i can't on here because i know the thread will get locked. so rather than being able to ask people i respect on an issue i'm left to search the web and spend many more hours than i would have if people could just answer questions and not get worked up that someone else came to a different conclusion.

and our all wonderful oil thread... that is one of the hardest things to read. who's bright idea was it to cram every thread about oil into one thread with no order. i'm reading posts and then things aren't making since. oh, it's because it's a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT OIL THREAD crammed in the middle of the one i was reading.

i very rarely get frustrated but this more than anything angers me.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Its such a subjective topic, if its available try Motul (7100 or 5100) they are both highly recommended and a not so recent poll showed its what most Aussies use (check here)
In the end its up to you to try different oils and find what works for you.