Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My neighbor just sent me this!
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQiRlQ9YlRM]Woman Survives Plunge As Bungee Cord Snaps - YouTube[/ame]

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I would not trust anyone other than myself as far as inspecting a peice of equiptment and deeming it safe to keep me from being killed,and if I did not understand how said equiptment operated and had no way of Knowing it was safe I would just stay clear of such an activity all together.She is one tuff Woman to have survived such a fall and a swim in the rapids to shore with her legs tied together towing the bungee cord !!! Super Natural strengh right there.I would definitly call it a bonified miracle!! :thumbup:

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
The miracle of adrenaline and the will to live :). It'd be cool if she turned around after recovery and went back
For another jump :)

Sent from my iPhone

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Harrowing to say the least. Depending on when the cord snapped her kinetic energy may have been low which allowed her to basically drop into the water at a slow speed. Not something I'd like to try.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would not trust anyone other than myself as far as inspecting a peice of equiptment and deeming it safe to keep me from being killed,and if I did not understand how said equiptment operated and had no way of Knowing it was safe I would just stay clear of such an activity all together.She is one tuff Woman to have survived such a fall and a swim in the rapids to shore with her legs tied together towing the bungee cord !!! Super Natural strengh right there.I would definitly call it a bonified miracle!! :thumbup:

I agree and would like to add that most Aussies are tough like that and usually do this with an added one hand tied behind their back and a tinnie in the other! LOL! Oi Oi Oi !!!! :BLAA:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Harrowing to say the least. Depending on when the cord snapped her kinetic energy may have been low which allowed her to basically drop into the water at a slow speed. Not something I'd like to try.

If you look at the video, this is exactly what I believe happened. At 300+ feet fall, the water's surface tension would have certainly killed her. In fact, a lot of people each year jump off the Golden Gate Bridge to commit suicide knowing this.

She's very lucky given the circumstances and this is exactly why I won't bungee jump. If that rope breaks, there is NO back up. I'll skydive any day of the year knowing there is a backup 'chute if my primary doesn't open.

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
If you look at the video, this is exactly what I believe happened. At 300+ feet fall, the water's surface tension would have certainly killed her. In fact, a lot of people each year jump off the Golden Gate Bridge to commit suicide knowing this.

She's very lucky given the circumstances and this is exactly why I won't bungee jump. If that rope breaks, there is NO back up. I'll skydive any day of the year knowing there is a backup 'chute if my primary doesn't open.

Skydiving is on my bucket list! I want to try that so bad!

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you look at the video, this is exactly what I believe happened.
Yup.
It makes sense, the bungee would break pretty much at the point of maximum stress, which occurs right as the diver reaches zero velocity/lowest excursion.

What a deck stacked against you; broken bungee, alligators in the river, rapids, feet tied, rock snag... oof dah! Just glad her ambulance wasn't hit by a plane on the way to the hospital! :rolleyes:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree and would like to add that most Aussies are tough like that and usually do this with an added one hand tied behind their back and a tinnie in the other! LOL! Oi Oi Oi !!!! :BLAA:

LOL

You are right Cliff - we are tough down under - bet she didn't spill a drop of her beer either :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a quick update, she's actually back in hospital - both lungs collapsed.

Hope she recovers soon, but girl, DON'T BUNGEE JUMP.........

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a quick update, she's actually back in hospital - both lungs collapsed.

Hope she recovers soon, but girl, DON'T BUNGEE JUMP.........

I wonder how that precipitated? Shouldn't be discharged home from the hospital if she was at risk for a lung collapse!:ban:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I don't understand how you could say that.

By three hundred feet free fall, from zero velocity, she would reach terminal velocity.

So irrespective if she fell 600ft or 300ft after the rope broke, she'd still hit the water at the same speed.

As for the 'surface tension' argument, the surface tension would be non-existent in white-water. She was jumping above rapids, thus no or minimal surface tension. (the problem is trying to displace an equal amount of water, to her mass - thus the collapsed lungs as the air would have been forced out.)

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It takes over 1800 feet to reach terminal. (though 1200ft gets you to about 90%)

Also, that bungee cord looked all frayed and crappy before any tension was on it. I think she should've won the darwin award and kept that kind of stupid out of the gene pool.

Last edited: