Ninja 250r Purchase question

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I was looking today on Craigslist for a Ninja just to keep track of pricing when one caught my eye. It looks to be a 2008 that sat out and doesn't run. Guy is moving and has it listed for $1000. He lists scrapes on one side of fairing that looks nasty but engine isn't too scuffed. He also lists the battery as dead.

If there is a legit title would it be worth it to get it for about $800 and put a couple hundred in the engine? I have a small engine guy that is cheap and would probably just do things for parts. Or is this a nasty scheme that I should stay away from?

I've been reading your thoughts on starter bikes and this would be ideal to have about $1500 in this bike, ride it for a year or two and then sell it for $2000! Anyway, thanks ahead of time for your thoughts, words of caution, and encouragement!

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Can you post the link to the craigslist ad?

I would be weary of anything more than light scuffing. All sorts of stuff can be tweaked from a crash, the forks, frame, radiator, etc. that you wouldn't necessarily be able to see.

If you go take a look at it take a note of what parts look like need to be replaced. Then get on partshark.com or bikebandit.com and price out the repair costs.

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
Depends on how many miles as well. It sounds like he crashed at higher than parking lot speed. If it doesn't run I'd be wary, but that might be because of a dead battery and gunked up carbs. A little engine work would probably put it back in good running shape.

$700 is a good offer, don't pay more than $900. but, this is just a preliminary opinion.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Depends on how many miles as well. It sounds like he crashed at higher than parking lot speed. If it doesn't run I'd be wary, but that might be because of a dead battery and gunked up carbs. A little engine work would probably put it back in good running shape.

$700 is a good offer, don't pay more than $900. but, this is just a preliminary opinion.

I always forget about the carb thing because I've only had FI bikes.

Circuit Rider do you have the mechanical ability to take apart a bike for routine maintenance? Do you think you could clean a carb out yoursef?

Another unplanned for expense is maintenance.

I run full synthetic oil and spend about $50 every 2 months on oil chages (I ride about 1500-2000 miles a month). You have spark plug changes. You have throttle body sync's and valve clearance checks.

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cleaning carbs on a 250 ninja is fairly easy. Done it a few times, as well as re-jetted one after changing to air filter pods. As far as scrapes go, that all looks cosmetic. Would make a great little bike to play on!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was looking today on Craigslist for a Ninja just to keep track of pricing when one caught my eye. It looks to be a 2008 that sat out and doesn't run. Guy is moving and has it listed for $1000. He lists scrapes on one side of fairing that looks nasty but engine isn't too scuffed. He also lists the battery as dead.

If there is a legit title would it be worth it to get it for about $800 and put a couple hundred in the engine? I have a small engine guy that is cheap and would probably just do things for parts. Or is this a nasty scheme that I should stay away from?

I've been reading your thoughts on starter bikes and this would be ideal to have about $1500 in this bike, ride it for a year or two and then sell it for $2000! Anyway, thanks ahead of time for your thoughts, words of caution, and encouragement!
"If something sounds to go to be true, It usually is............. Walk away mate, it's got horry story written all over it". Why would you have a bike standing doing nothing in the great weather you have over there unless it is well and truly beyond all economic reasoning to repair? The guy could spend the small amount on it and get it running and make a much better margin.

[edit] Having said that, I just looked at the advert and its not quite the dog it first seemed. Ask the guy to charge the battery, if its a runner worth a look.

Neil

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I would definitely go look at it. If all it needs is some TLC and you can live with scuffed fairings it would be a perfect starter bike.

I'd be inspecting it for frame damage, bend bars, etc. The crash may have been worse than he lets on.

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
Carbs are pretty easy, if you remember to bag stuff / take pictures.

Expect to replace cables, turn signals, handlebars, levers, controls, and pegs at least. And tow it home.

Tires might need replacing, all the fluids, etc. BUT! You'll know all about that bike and you'll know how to fix it if something goes wrong.

If the frame is bent or the forks are bent, forget it. Not worth the heartache. Unless he wants to sell it for a hundred bucks.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Clear title? Unless he has the title, in his name, run away. This thing sounds like a salvage title mess to me. If "Salvage" is on the title, it's worth 50% less than book. I suspect it is. An good '08 will go for $2,700 to $3,500.

Sycotic

Reaction score
Visit site
I would def check on the title, I would skip on it though just looking at the pic. Some salvageable bikes are worth it though. Mine has a salvageable title because the dealership knocked it over and because they had to basically disassemble the whole thing to fix it, they had to list it as salvageable. I have a couple marks in my fz6 and its nowhere near what that ninja has cosmetically.

The thing that I found cool is that as a previous poster said, my bike was "worth" less because of the title, but I have full coverage and if I wreck it, I get more than what I put into it lol. So if I want a new bike, I can just wreck this one! :BLAA:

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That poor Ninja looks a little rough! I concur on the title thing. If it is not clean, RUN away!

Otherwise, lots of work and expensive plastics to replace.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would def check on the title, I would skip on it though just looking at the pic. Some salvageable bikes are worth it though. Mine has a salvageable title because the dealership knocked it over and because they had to basically disassemble the whole thing to fix it, they had to list it as salvageable. I have a couple marks in my fz6 and its nowhere near what that ninja has cosmetically.

The thing that I found cool is that as a previous poster said, my bike was "worth" less because of the title, but I have full coverage and if I wreck it, I get more than what I put into it lol. So if I want a new bike, I can just wreck this one! :BLAA:

But you can never sell it as an "un-slavage" bike. It is always worth 50% less and you don't want to be on the backside of that transaction.

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
I can believe it. Light, nimble, cheap.... I did see a new CBR250 the other day. Looked pretty sexy but was narrow as hell.