New Tire Seach

newrider13

Reaction score
Visit site
Bought a 2008 FZ6 that needs a new set of tires.

I hope to put between 5k-8k miles on the bike this season. The majority of the mileage (75%-85%) will be highway, with the remaining being secondary roads. I do not anticipate a significant amount of riding in wet conditions, so my primary concern is dry traction, but something that is capable in the wet.

I am considering:

• Metzeler Interact Z8
  • Michelin Pilot Road 2
  • Michelin Pilot Road 3
  • Pirelli Angel ST
  • Pirelli Angel GT

Any suggestions for what would be my best match.

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
You really can't go wrong with any of those tires.

I'd also check out the Bridgestone BT-023. I picked up a set for a little over $200 last season. Another great dual compound tire IMO.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm partial to the Michelins. Especially on the mid sized 600, they last a long time, especially on flat slab. For the serious corner carver, their probably not quite as sticky but they'll go thru tires considerably quicker and generally aren't worried about longer mileage. The PR3's are supposed to be better in the wet and last slightly longer than the PR2's. Looking for a small nail or puncture in the PR3 is a PIA with all the little grooves (I had a slow leak, turned out to be the inner valve but had to check the tire super close)

I had Bridgestones on my FJR (obviously a lot heavier and more HP and torque) and would go thru them in 5,000 miles(cupping in the front, squaring off in the rear big time), never again.

I don't have any experiance with the other tires..

Last edited:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I'm looking for a new set soon also. I wanted the new Bridgestone T30 that is replacing the BT-023's. But found out they won't be in the states till mid summer.

I have the 023 on now they have 12k miles on them and are pretty worn. Been doing a lot of research and it looks like the PR3's are the hot sport tourer right now.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking for a new set soon also. I wanted the new Bridgestone T30 that is replacing the BT-023's. But found out they won't be in the states till mid summer.

I have the 023 on now they have 12k miles on them and are pretty worn. Been doing a lot of research and it looks like the PR3's are the hot sport tourer right now.

My front PR2 has about 10,000 miles on it and still looks new..

I guess with the heavier weight and torque was the reason the Bridgstones didn't last long at all on the FJR.

Its such a treat NOT changing tires every 5,000 miles!! :thumbup:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Its such a treat NOT changing tires every 5,000 miles!! :thumbup:

You're right there, my stock 020's were toast at 6k. When my 023 hit 10k I really though I got my moneys worth the next 2k was frosting on the cake. I would like to wait until the new T30's ship but don't think the 023 will pass my upcoming state inspection.

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
I am fitting new tires also.
I decided to go with dunlop sportmax sportsmart. I have couple of friends that have putted this tires and i got excellent feedback from them

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My Z8's are excellent.:thumbup: Very sporty, with super grip.:rockon:

Yeah I'm with Yasko all the way here, the Z 8's are nice and grippy wet and dry very nice over wet tram tracks and white road paint and tar snakes.
I took the rec from Humpy and Kazza and there are now a few of us singing their praises. They do well in pretty every test and wear pretty well to by all accounts

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Metzeler Z8 :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

I am fitting a new one on the front this weekend :D....... 26000k's on the steer :eek: :eek: & it's still just as grippy as the day I bought it & has only just started eating into the wear marks :rockon: :rockon:

They really are as good as I make them sound ;)

CADMAN

Reaction score
Visit site
Just took a good look at tires and will be in need of new ones soon. These are orig stock that were on bike when purchased last June with 4200 miles. Need recommendations on a good long mileage, mostly highway commuter type, with occasional mountain twisties for the Phoenix, AZ area.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
PR3's are nice i have a set much better than my pilot powers that were 4 years old and square :(

stick well do well in wet conditions i have not tried them while its raining,
all of the 10k miles are highway 100 miles a day i check my air pressure weekly and its never dropped below 1psi
for the lack of skill in riding i have they have never broke loose on me.

From what i understand about tires if your going to get a dual compound tire you can't compare them to other non dual compounds.
basicly you need to get the right tire for the job if you get it for the purpose of commuting and want a dual compound than you have to understand its limitations and ride accordingly.

What you get in longevity of tread (mileage based on tire wear), durability of compound (how the road surface affects tread wear) and resistance to roll (based on the carcass of the tire or structure different type of tires have more or less resistance to roll which can affect ALL aspects of tire from wear to grip)

now in order to gain something you must sacrafice something else with todays technology we have not figured out how to get all of this from the compounds we use.

It really comes to using the right tool for the job civics cant tow trailers because the load limitations of the parts. etcs....

But i would assume all top tires are about the same it really comes to brand loyalty and DISCOUNTS :) <--- usually a deciding factor of any major purchase thats not an impulse buy.

Last edited:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I have PR2's on mine with 6500 miles on them. Front looks like new, and rear looks about half gone and is starting to square off on my Fz1 (a lot of hard acceleration and about 4-4500 of those miles are on straights).

I am not a fan. I understand you can get a lot of mileage out of them and they have great wet grip but for fun in the corners, they are not confidence inspiring. The positive side is I'm really learning to focus on body position and throttle control, the negative is they are not confidence inspiring in the least.

I'm going to get a set of Pilot Power 3's next because it is a hypersport tire providing better grip on the side and also is dual compound and should get close to 10k miles.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have PR2's on mine with 6500 miles on them. Front looks like new, and rear looks about half gone and is starting to square off on my Fz1 (a lot of hard acceleration and about 4-4500 of those miles are on straights).

I am not a fan. I understand you can get a lot of mileage out of them and they have great wet grip but for fun in the corners, they are not confidence inspiring. The positive side is I'm really learning to focus on body position and throttle control, the negative is they are not confidence inspiring in the least.

I'm going to get a set of Pilot Power 3's next because it is a hypersport tire providing better grip on the side and also is dual compound and should get close to 10k miles.

My boo, I missed Pilot Power 3 (misread into it: PR3)

Both the PR2 and PR3 are dual compound tires (you can go to their web site and read the differences). The PR3 is supposed to last slightly longer (slab riding) and better in wet weather.

I believe the percentage of harder compound in the middle is also slightly different (I forgot which was more/less)

IMHO, I'm very happy with both the PR2 (still on the front)and PR3 (now on the back as a "key" took out ((punctured)) my rear PR2).

If I was in your area, I'd probably go with the PR2, less grooves to square off/cup.

Last edited:

newrider13

Reaction score
Visit site
I ended up going with the Metzeler Interact Z8. They are getting installed tomorrow.

What tire pressure should I run?

Reaction score
Visit site
I ended up going with the Metzeler Interact Z8. They are getting installed tomorrow.

What tire pressure should I run?

Metzeler says "You will find the correct pressure in the operating manual of the motorcycle", so that [should] be 33F and 36R (i don't have the manual here)

And congrats on the Z8's .. They won't disappoint :thumbup:

Last edited:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
My boo, I missed Pilot Power 3 (misread into it: PR3)

Both the PR2 and PR3 are dual compound tires (you can go to their web site and read the differences). The PR3 is supposed to last slightly longer (slab riding) and better in wet weather.

I believe the percentage of harder compound in the middle is also slightly different (I forgot which was more/less)

IMHO, I'm very happy with both the PR2 (still on the front)and PR3 (now on the back as a "key" took out ((punctured)) my rear PR2).

If I was in your area, I'd probably go with the PR2, less grooves to square off/cup.

I've been doing a lot of research on tires looking for my next set. And the PR3's have a slightly harder compound in the middle of the rear and softer on the side then the 2. The front is the same compound but the middle compound is narrower. Most reviews say the 3's have the same or a little more grip on dry, much more grip in the wet and should last longer with both tires wearing closer to the same rate.

I'm dropping wheels off at the shop friday and getting the 3's.

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
Also dropped my bike off at a local shop and am having Pilot Road 3's installed.

Got pretty nervous about that 1 incident that an FZ6 rider had with those a couple of years ago, but overall the reviews I've read have been stellar. I've been running the stock tires on my FZ6 since I bought it, so I'm really excited to see what a difference it'll make.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Has the issue with the first batch of Pilot Road 3's chunking and coming apart been fixed?

From what I understand the Pilot Power 3's are supposed to be 2CT technology as well but have a stickier side grip because of less siping on the side. The manager at Cycle Gear in Mesa said they should have the same life expectancy as a Pilot Road 2 but with better side grip.

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
Has the issue with the first batch of Pilot Road 3's chunking and coming apart been fixed?

From what I understand the Pilot Power 3's are supposed to be 2CT technology as well but have a stickier side grip because of less siping on the side. The manager at Cycle Gear in Mesa said they should have the same life expectancy as a Pilot Road 2 but with better side grip.

In all of the internet sleuth work I've done, I only saw 2 cases where the tire failed catastrophically versus hundreds and hundreds of positive reviews/comments.

As an engineer I expect manufacturing defects. Haven't seen much fuss about it other than the viral thread that started here.