New rider from NY

markersniffen

Reaction score
www.marksniffen.com
Hey All,

My name is Mark Sniffen (yep, I know all the nicknames), I'm new to riding and am the proud owner of an beautiful '04 silver and black FZ6. My brother got me interested when he let me ride on the back of his Honda 919 last summer. After doing some research, I knew I was going to buy a FZ6 a year ago when my brother suggested three bikes, the SV650, Versys, and the Fazer. So after I took the MSF basic riders course back in May, I did some searching and bought my bike in June. Paid $3500 for it, 6500 miles, beautiful condition, kept heated indoors in the winter, owner gave me a matching Givi hardshell case... :rolleyes: anyway, since getting it i've driven my truck no more than a handful of times. All I want to do is ride.

:D

Needless to say I'm addicted to this thing. I live in Rochester NY (near the Finger Lakes area) and the only sad thing is that I haven't really taken her anywhere to just RIDE. Anyone familiar with the area that could suggest places? Commuting is still riding but...I think you all probably know what I mean.

I've been stalking this forum for a while, using it for pretty much everything from where to mount my EZPASS to Oil and Filter recommendations. So thanks to everyone on here, it seems like an awesome community with a wealth of knowledge. :thumbup:

-mark

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to forum! This is a great place with really cool people!
Sounds like you got a good deal on the bike. Congrats.

Nice photo!:thumbup:

BlueMoON

Reaction score
Visit site
It sure is addictive... I got the same bike 2 months+ ago and I absolutely love it. So, congratulations on an excellent purchase (although I think I got a better deal ;) :BLAA: jk ) Nice photo !

This forum is GREAT.... I think I should start my own thread rather than hijacking yours... welcome!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome::welcome::welcome:

I really like the silver color! Wish the 07+ came that way.

Lots of great people here with tons of knowledge on riding and the FZ6.

Joe

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
It sure is addictive... I got the same bike 2 months+ ago and I absolutely love it. So, congratulations on an excellent purchase (although I think I got a better deal ;) :BLAA: jk ) Nice photo !

This forum is GREAT.... I think I should start my own thread rather than hijacking yours... welcome!

I got my Silver and black FZ6 for christmas!! Nice picture and welcome to the best bike forum on the web! :welcome::rockon:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Woot another Rochesterland-man! :welcome: Sounds like your brother knows good bikes! Have a Versys myself and planning on adding a fazer to the collection next spring :thumbup:

Anyhow welcome to the best forum on the www!

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright as for roads, Letchworth state park is a good drive (better during the week due to less traffic/LEOs) Also Theres some roads I've found around Canandaigua and Honeoye lake to be fun... i'll google it later and toss some links in later...Other than that i'm just exploring myself, just got my license in, err may? so i'm still finding good roads myself, Will be heading to the "ADK" myself if i ever find time lol

markersniffen

Reaction score
www.marksniffen.com
Thanks for the welcome everyone! =)

I definitely want to check out the ADK sometime...it's just a matter of finding time. I'm planning on riding down to Maryland to visit my brother next weekend...It'll be a nice 6 hour journey to break myself into longer distance riding. I'm going to try and google map it to be as scenic as possible.

@dxh24, nice to see another Rochesterian! Thanks for the tip, I will definitely check out letchworth sometime!

At first I wanted the faster blue, but when I saw the fastest silver, I knew it was meant to be... :D

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Which side of the city do you live on? I grew up in Avon and most of the back roads south of the city/Livingston county are decent, though their state can often vary greatly. Riding around the lakes is fun.

I'm still learning the roads on the East side, and a large majority of them are just straight with lots of stops. I've got to get out toward Victor/Bloomfield/Canandaigua to find anything fun.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome! Glad to see another Rochester resident! :rockon:

If you're on the east side, check out Lake Rd along Lake Ontario, great ride from the Bay to Sodus Point and back again. Further south, just past Marion things start getting more interesting.

Further south than that, +1 to looping around any of the Finger Lakes.

The ADK is a bit of a hike, I rode out there this summer for an overnight.

markersniffen

Reaction score
www.marksniffen.com
I live in Henrietta, so southeast of the city. I will definitely check some of those places out.

Thankfully now I do ride with 'actual' gear, for the first week or so I did feel a bit naked wearing that--it was the best I had at the time. I now have a pair of tcx infinity boots and a nice leather jacket that sadly is a bit big, but I purchased it because I couldn't find anything else locally and riding without a decent jacket was stupid in my mind. Looking at getting something waterproof that fits correctly though...the revit sand jacket has caught my eye...

Then it's just finding something for my girlfriend...

Appreciate the concern,

-mark

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I live in Henrietta, so southeast of the city. I will definitely check some of those places out.

Thankfully now I do ride with 'actual' gear, for the first week or so I did feel a bit naked wearing that--it was the best I had at the time. I now have a pair of tcx infinity boots and a nice leather jacket that sadly is a bit big, but I purchased it because I couldn't find anything else locally and riding without a decent jacket was stupid in my mind. Looking at getting something waterproof that fits correctly though...the revit sand jacket has caught my eye...

Then it's just finding something for my girlfriend...

Appreciate the concern,

-mark

Mendon Ponds is a nice place to ride during the day, even though you still have to keep an eye out for deer.

Keep an eye on motorcyclegear.com. They tend to have pretty decent prices on closeouts.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Which side of the city do you live on? I grew up in Avon and most of the back roads south of the city/Livingston county are decent, though their state can often vary greatly. Riding around the lakes is fun.

I'm still learning the roads on the East side, and a large majority of them are just straight with lots of stops. I've got to get out toward Victor/Bloomfield/Canandaigua to find anything fun.

Caledonia here, cool to know people live that close on the forum!

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Mendon Ponds is a nice place to ride during the day, even though you still have to keep an eye out for deer.

Keep an eye on motorcyclegear.com. They tend to have pretty decent prices on closeouts.

I actually drove thru a small corner of this without realizing it til now, was at Add-en-on kennels and i was like wtf? why am i in a state park?! lol... will have to go back and visit, soon as i get a new rear tire:thumbup: