New member welcome thread..

B

Bo67

Hello to all

Hello to all!
My name is Eric and I live in Mountain Home, Idaho.
Got my FZ6 on 4/12/07. It is the slower red one (must be more pigmentation in the red paint versus the blue paint is the only thing I can figure!).
Been riding for 24 years; other bikes I've owned:
1971 Honda CB350 Super Sport
1976 Suzuki RM250
1984 Honda VT500 Ascot
1984 Honda 650 Nighthawk
1985 Suzuki GS1150E (stolen 3 months after I bought, still get misty eyed over that; what a great bike).
1987 Yamaha FZ750 (European spec; had it while based over in England).
Shouldn't mention the Honda Aero 80 scooter I had in high school...it was the 80's though...
Bought my FZ6 after a 17 year hiatus from riding; was in the Air Force for 20 years, got married, raised a family etc...
This FZ6 is one sweet bike! The technology has come a long way in 25 years. This 600 really pulls hard, handles better on the street than any other bike I've been on and doesn't require a lot of the maintenance that one would have had to perform 25 years ago (sychcronizing carbs, adjusting timing, and all of that).
Have 1300 miles on her now, mostly interstate and downtown Boise, want to bring the camera along sometime to take some pictures for you to see the area. There are a lot of decent mountain roads here but I still miss the curvy roads of Northern Illinois where I grew up.
That's all for now as my post is too long already. Take care.
-Eric

S

soundman11568

hello to all

my name is jay and i'm from alabama, just got a 2006 fz6 been riding for several years and this is my first sportbike,oh yea i'm also 38yrs old. the bike is stock but looking at a few mods, and it's the slow red color too. lol

FZ607

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, my name is Tom and I live in Cranford, NJ. Got my 07 Blue FZ6 about 6 weeks ago and have 350 miles on it so far. This is my first motorcycle and its awsome

J

jeffm

Hello Everyone

My name is Jeff and I just picked up a leftover 2006 FZ6 (Red) at a dealer here in the Pittsburgh area on Tuesday. This is my fourth bike since I started riding a few years back. I have had a Suzuki 650 Savage, Suzuki S83 and until last Tuesday a Kawasaki Concourse which I left at the dealers.

So far the bike is great and extremely fun to ride and a great commuter. I will probably change/add a couple things like taller windshield, bar risers and add a tail bag. (I am used to the massive luggage space on the Concourse)

I think this bike is definately a keeper!

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Jeff,

I did the same thing. Was looking at the FZ6 and they had a 2006 in red that they marked down $900 because all of the 2007 models were in. I like blue, but I like $900 even more! The red has really grown on me. Besides, the red FZ6 is plenty fast. The last thing I need is some blue on my bike, followed by blue flashing lights behind me :eek:

W

wrightme43

Hey Jeff,

I did the same thing. Was looking at the FZ6 and they had a 2006 in red that they marked down $900 because all of the 2007 models were in. I like blue, but I like $900 even more! The red has really grown on me. Besides, the red FZ6 is plenty fast. The last thing I need is some blue on my bike, followed by blue flashing lights behind me :eek:

See that is the best thing about the blue bikes. They are so fast the blue lights from cops shift so far down the scale into infrared and you cant even see them. LOL

The red is really pretty too. The dealer got a red one and a blue one in crates, the day I got mine. They both look great. Its just that blue is faster. LOL

J

jeffm

For the amount of $$$ I saved it was worth taking the slower RED one. They wanted the bike out of there since they Floor Plan their inventoy and were paying for it.

They still don't have a 2007 on the floor I was there yesterday.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My name is Kenny and you guys and gals can look me up whenever you come to Vegas. I like to play poker and bingo when I'm home. I grew up riding dirt bikes, so the FZ6 is my first streetbike. Traffic was something getting used to, especially in this town. Traded in my Dodge Ram Hemi 4x4 pickup so my bike is my only mode of transportation. I wanted the red, but had to settle for the galaxy blue '06. This forum has been very helpful for Q's and A's.

T

tfiedler

New bike FINALLY!

Well, after a 17 year dry spell my wife sort of let me get a new bike. Sort of because she gave up telling me no. Anyway, I have one of the rare faster red models, 2007. Located in Kansas City area and looking forward to getting some miles on it now that I've finished the riders program and got back into the swing of things.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone

I am a brand new rider. I took the motorcycle safety foundation new rider's class two weeks ago. That was the first time I drove a motorcycle. I purchased a red 2007 FZ6 the next last week. I have about 220 miles so far. I'm taking it pretty slow.

The looked at this site before I bought my bike. I got a lot of useful information here. I hope to learn a lot more as a member.

Craig

Zacke

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everbody, its nice to be here.
Last sunday, i took my bike to a track for practise braking and curves. It was amazing how well the FZ6 performed on the track. I used the hole area of my tires in most of the curves and i could keep up with some really fast sportbikes.... My biggest problem was my boots , they touch the asphalt all the time:) I hope you all understand my English, its not so good...

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello

Hi, I'm Phil, live in Warwickshire in the Midlands of the UK, married with a 13 year old daughter & a dog, self employed as a handyman. Hadn't thrown my leg over a bike for 20 years until yesterday.

Just picked picked up a new FZ6-SA in Gun-metal. The dealer tells me that that Gun-metal is much faster than the US blue machines :O)

Got a grand off list price 'cos it's an '06 model - I'm guessing that's about $2000. It's now got 61 miles on the clock, the distance from the dealers to home. And, ever since I got it home it's chucked it down with rain, so I haven't ventured out again yet.

The forecast is fine for 6.00am tomorrow morning - I've set the alarm clock. It's a national holiday here in the UK tomorrow, so with a bit of luck I should be able to get quite a few miles done towards that magical 600 miles point when 'breaking in' ends & I crack the throttle open.

A good chunk of the journey home yesterday was pretty boring motorway (Interstate / Highway) but the last 20 miles or so were down country lanes. Which even at a modest pace reminded me of all the reasons why I've missed biking so much over the last 20 years.

Phil

W

wrightme43

Hi everybody glad your here.

Hey Phil You might want to do that first oil change early. Nowish would be a great time.
The first oil change on a motor is a very very important change. Almost all of the break in wear will occur in the first 50 or so miles of operation. The little bits o' metal floating about in the oil will already of clogged the filter and it will be operating in bypass mode (not filtering the oil) The sooner you get that stuff out of your engine and the filter full of metal powder off and replaced the better.
My oil was silver with metal. Your oil will be silver with metal.
It is either removed, or the bearings to use their built in embed layer to hold those little flakes of metal.
There are threads with links to filter test data showing the best value and function in filters and oil.
I use Purolator pure one pl 14610 and Mobil one synth oil. (I use the same on my truck, girlfriends truck) Almost any (non energy conserving) oil is good if you change it frequently, almost any filter is fine changed frequently. Just that in my opinion those two are among the best and have a great cost to reward ratio.
Synth really only comes into its own when there is a problem, then it is able to shine.

Last edited by a moderator:

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the tip Wrightme43. Normal process in the UK is to wait until 600 miles - when typically the dealer offers a free 'First Service'. All they do is change the oil & filter and kick the tyres.

But they stamp the service book to say they've done it. And that's worth it's weight in gold here. A bike without a full service history is really hard to sell and fetchs a lot less dollars.

Looks like I'm going to have plenty of time to do that oil change though, the rain looks like it's set in for the week. I'm so p****d off!

We don't seem to have the range of oils you get in the States. Never heard of energy conserving oil. We don't get Purolator oil here, but should be able to get the Mobil one.

S

sportrider

hello to all!!!
mine name is Danny,I own a 2006 FZ6 (shift red)I currently have 6532 miles on it. I'm on the third set of tires, stock D252s lasted 3100 mi, pilot powers got 2300 mi, trying a set of shinko 005 will see how they do.I live in Salton City, Ca. I ride daily commuting to work, I ride palomar mt. on the weekends:D . I have owned a 91 katana 600, 87 kawisaki ninja 900,86 honda VFR 750 , 80 yamaha XS 850, 2004 Harley Davidson sportster 883, as well as many dirtbikes & enduros. I've been riding since I was 6 or 7 years old starting on a honda cb50, moving up to 80s,125s and 250s my first street legal bike was a 79 suzuki TS 250. but I love sportbikes first time I rode one I was hooked.I think my FZ6 is the most versital bike I've ever owned, it does everything well. two weeks ago I went on a 350 mile ride and was still wanting to go riding the next day!! looking forward to meeting everyone here that can relate to the FZ6.:D