New FZ6

ottoatom

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

I am the lucky owner of a new (old) FZ6 S2 and it has been a blast for the last few days. s-l1600.jpg

I have had a few surprises though and because I am not familiar with this bike it feels a bit awkward for me.

The FZ6 I have feels very different from what I rode in the past. When I turn at low speed I feel like the bike wants to turn more and I have to "fight" to keep the bike where I point it to. At high speeds it feels the opposite.. counter steering feels hard compared to what I am used to. I had a monster 696 before this one and that one was very light and flickable, this one is very different.

Is any of this a usual thing with the FZ6s?

The other thing is that it feels like the bike wants to turn more towards the left than the right.. I am not sure if it really is the case or if I am making this up somehow but sometimes its like I am losing balance to the left.. This sounds serious but again, it might just be my imagination.

Cheers guys,
Otto

Last edited:

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
I am no expert but if the bike is pulling in a different direction make sure the chain is aligned correctly. I know with my fz6 if I let go of the steering the bike goes straight

Pujazuba

Testing...gnitseT
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome aboard. Bike looks great.
However you have to address those issues you mention asap for very obvious safety reasons.

In my experience this bike handles like a dream and the turning issue brings tire pressure to mind immediately. Have you had them checked? I prefer using a digital pressure gauge and using psi units if using an automatic compressor at say a gas station for better accuracy. Stick to the specific pressure mentioned in your manual based on the load.
How about tire wear, what do they look like?

The tendency to wonder in a certain direction may also be caused by a misaligned rear wheel. There are good instructions in this forum for DIY adjustment.
Good luck.

ottoatom

Reaction score
Visit site
the bike looks brand new and is 10 years ears old!!..

So the thing about the bike wondering to the left at cruising speed is maybe only in my head. The one I am more worried about is that the bike falls to the direction I am steering goat lower speed. I have almost dropped the bike already so it is something I am not used to. Is that something to expect on a fz6?

I haven't checked the tyre pressure but they seem ok. I'll have a look tonight.

Two other things I noticed this morning is that when brake hard I can feel a click in the steering whe the bike stops. I had that on a triumph and it meant something needed to be tightened. Could that affect steering as well? The other thing is that braking with only one finger is not ok lol.. I know I should use two fingers but I have small hands. Can that be fixed with new brake pads?

cheers

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Dude, looking at the tire is not checking the pressure! They could be 10 to 15 psi low and still be round! Buy a gauge so you have your own reference not just some random value as 3 psi makes a huge difference....

How old are the tires//hint//check date code... if more than 4 years old replace them or your 10 year old new bike will be turned into insurance claims....

These bikes tip in, turn in and play nice when all things are well. However, if new tires properly inflated do not correct the turn-in you can raise the stanchion tubes through the triple 8 to 10mm and it will help this a lot.

As for falling over at low speed, no. Not so much. Tires, pressure, rider skills and confidence come into play. Correct the obvious and get in a parking lot and practice loops, figure 8's, trail braking, stopping, sharp turns. Get that muscle memory going so you don't have to think to keep the bike upright in the ever changing environment you ride it.

Good luck!

ottoatom

Reaction score
Visit site
Dude, looking at the tire is not checking the pressure! They could be 10 to 15 psi low and still be round! Buy a gauge so you have your own reference not just some random value as 3 psi makes a huge difference....

How old are the tires//hint//check date code... if more than 4 years old replace them or your 10 year old new bike will be turned into insurance claims....

These bikes tip in, turn in and play nice when all things are well. However, if new tires properly inflated do not correct the turn-in you can raise the stanchion tubes through the triple 8 to 10mm and it will help this a lot.

As for falling over at low speed, no. Not so much. Tires, pressure, rider skills and confidence come into play. Correct the obvious and get in a parking lot and practice loops, figure 8's, trail braking, stopping, sharp turns. Get that muscle memory going so you don't have to think to keep the bike upright in the ever changing environment you ride it.

Good luck!

Hey, thanks for the comments.

However I do have some riding experience, not a lot but enough to know how to check tire pressure and do some figure 8s :rockon:. I had a rough check by pushing the tires with my feet when I bought the bike and it seemed ok. Ok doesnt cut it though as problems might be arising from tire pressure so tonight I will check it at the gas station near my house as you guys advised me to.

This is my 4th bike. I had a street triple about 6 years ago, a Honda VTR 1000 for about 2 years, a monster 696 for 1 year and now the FZ6. All these bikes had their issues, no bike is perfect, but the way this FZ6 steers is very different from what I am used to. I will try what was suggested here, starting with tire pressure and see from there. I am worried it might be something serious like forks or frame. Hopefully not.

Cheers

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Plus 100^^^.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good advice from the team! I will tel you that the other day I noticed similar things. I had to work hard to keep the bike from turning too much. I also noticed that she was being pulled side to side by irregularities in the road. I had topped up the tires the dy before so I was not sure of the issue until I checked the pressure again and found the front had leaked down to 20psi. Turns out that I had a bad valve stem in the front.

As for the clicking, you need to check the head bearings for looseness or wear. If you are uncomfortable with doing the work, get it to a shop. It's your bum on the line mate.

Moral of the story, when she talks to you, you better listen!

Good luck and feel free to ask for help. This is THE BEST forum on the web!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I also don't trust filling station tire pressure gauges. If you don't have one, get a trusty tire pressure gauge. I have 2 gigital types and they both agree with each other.

I remember having a different steering feel one day on the FZ6. A 3 psi. difference on the front was the culprit. Added 3 psi and it was fine. Are profiles on the tires the same?

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is the rear tire "squared off" - worn in the middle but not on the sides?
When that happens you get a ridge on both sides of the tire where it transitions from the worn middle to the meaty side part, which in city riding gives you a feeling like you're falling on the inside as you lean over that ridge.

Last edited:

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Tires are the first thing to look at, obviously.

If the bike feels like it wants to turn in more mid-corner or starts to run wider, this can also be a suspension issue. The forks on this bike are pretty budget affairs and come from the factory sprung for a rider about 150 lbs. If you vary from that by much you might be getting too much/too little fork compression during cornering and it can make the bike do irritating things. If the springs are right, you can adjust the height of the forks in the triple to change the bike geometry a bit.

The click while stopping is usually a sign that your steering head needs snugged up. Check it and if it's loose, tighten it. If it's notchy, replace the bearings.

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, thanks for the comments.

However I do have some riding experience, not a lot but enough to know how to check tire pressure and do some figure 8s :rockon:. I had a rough check by pushing the tires with my feet when I bought the bike and it seemed ok. Ok doesnt cut it though as problems might be arising from tire pressure so tonight I will check it at the gas station near my house as you guys advised me to.

This is my 4th bike. I had a street triple about 6 years ago, a Honda VTR 1000 for about 2 years, a monster 696 for 1 year and now the FZ6. All these bikes had their issues, no bike is perfect, but the way this FZ6 steers is very different from what I am used to. I will try what was suggested here, starting with tire pressure and see from there. I am worried it might be something serious like forks or frame. Hopefully not.

Cheers

First, let me say we are happy to have you within our ranks. What you will find in this Forum is very insightful information regarding your situation and others to come. Many of the folks here have much experience and are not shy about sharing it. Please do not be offended in any way as all comments are meant to share experience and as it strange as it may seem, we all care that we come home at night after riding with experiences to share. I think most people here have much riding experience over many years - street, dirt, other and we all pull from that to express any opinions. Also, if it was not mentioned above, we extend our deepest sympathies for your countrymen in Manchester.

Ken

:welcome:

ottoatom

Reaction score
Visit site
Guys, as everyone pointed out correctly, it was the tire pressure. It wasnt that low though.. 29psi and refilled it to 33 front 36 rear (that one was fine). Guess this bike's handling is more sensitive to tire pressure than the ones I had before.

Thanks Kenh for the kind words. The world is f*** up and these things only contribute to make it worse.

I wasnt offended by any comment, I just didnt want to be misunderstood. It wasnt lack of experience it was something else that I couldnt put my finger on. Anyway, I get it now and will know for the next one. And you guys were right, this bike handles like a dream... cant stop looking at it, cant stop riding it, no wonder I always get late to work now :p

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations on your new bike Otto, pleased to hear you've fixed your problem, with the help of the wonderful people on this forum. Don't be a stranger :)

Pujazuba

Testing...gnitseT
Reaction score
Visit site
Great to hear your problem is fixed!
We all learn during this kind of problem solving and it all adds to a wealth of wisdom under your belt. I for one was skeptical about such a severe behavior from your bike being caused solely by such a 'minor' pressure issue. But glad it was not more hassle to resolve. Ride smart & safe.

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Guys, as everyone pointed out correctly, it was the tire pressure. It wasnt that low though.. 29psi and refilled it to 33 front 36 rear (that one was fine). Guess this bike's handling is more sensitive to tire pressure than the ones I had before.

Thanks Kenh for the kind words. The world is f*** up and these things only contribute to make it worse.

I wasnt offended by any comment, I just didnt want to be misunderstood. It wasnt lack of experience it was something else that I couldnt put my finger on. Anyway, I get it now and will know for the next one. And you guys were right, this bike handles like a dream... cant stop looking at it, cant stop riding it, no wonder I always get late to work now :p

You will find the sweet spot for your particular tire. They appear as though they have been replaced and are in good shape. I personally think that owning the FZ6 however corny as it may sound is very personal. You will discover the setup that you and the motorcycle are comfortable with and when you do, you will truly appreciate it. :thumbup:

dbldutch02

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you've got that sorted, do be sure to check the headstock bearings though, that click on stopping will almost certainly be play. With a little care and fiddling about you can do it with the fairing and all in place - the bottom bearing seems to collect a bit of water in our climate, and they come fairly dry from factory. Twenty minutes you won't regret spending on the bike

**edit - silly me, there isn't even a fairing to worry about! - edit**

Last edited:

Pujazuba

Testing...gnitseT
Reaction score
Visit site
Just as a side question. How often do you folks check your tire pressure.
And since you are supposed to adjust the pressure on cool tires, how long after a ride would you consider being enough for the tires to have cooled off.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Just as a side question. How often do you folks check your tire pressure.
And since you are supposed to adjust the pressure on cool tires, how long after a ride would you consider being enough for the tires to have cooled off.

My hubby check tire pressure each time we ride. He does this before we've ridden so tires are cool. I'm assuming he is taking the temperature into consideration. We have an air compressor, so that makes it easy. (OK- he has an air compressor. I know where it is :cheer: I wouldn't presume that any of his tools are mine. I sneak and use 1 or 2 every once in a while. BUT not the power tools. lol)