New Bike Happy So Far

travfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All , great forum learning lots. My 2006 has 23000km on it. Bike is in great shape , some fairing damage as it was dropped from a standstill but nothing major. I've done an oil change and added some seafoam to the gas tank and noticed it running smoother now. The bike runs amazing , but does have its rattles and noises and after searching the forum i am assuming these are normal as the bike runs fine. I do need to throw a a new pair of tires on her for more confidence as the front is a little worn and the back had a hole that I plugged. What i've noticed so far is that the bike likes to run in the higher rpm range. 5-8000. Just wondering if anyone experiences "rough" shifts , or problems catching neutral leaving first or if thats just my newbie skills. I also notice on the cold canadian morning here i get some white smoke coming out the exhaust but goes away once engine is warm. I've pulled the air filter out and noticed a little bit of oil in the box nothing major. I was thinking about doing the front wheel bearings and steering bearings wondering how hard of a job that is? thanks all for your help.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah the power really comes out above 5k

Just wondering if anyone experiences "rough" shifts , or problems catching neutral leaving first or if thats just my newbie skills

Shifting into first from neutral has quite a "clunk" to it, even down shifting to first has it too. Is that what you mean?

I would guess you hitting neutral is just not being used to the shifting. If I am sloppy with shifting and dont give it a firm press or release too early it can just stop in neutral. Id go into a parking lot or a road thats not busy and practice going through the gears many times over, get used to the distance and play in the shifting lever.

Enjoy the bike mate, they are a blast!

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
All the stuff you listed that you are concerned about are normal. Nothing to worry about. As for the bearings, what are wanting to do to them? Replace? Lube? Is there any play that you've noticed?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to a great bike! :rockon:

I also have a 2006 model with 18,000 miles on it. I bought it brand new. It has always clunked shifting into first from a stop and the 1-2 gear change is rough or clunks if you don't hit it just right at the right rpms and clutch/throttle control.

Rattles and a "buzz" feeling from 6,000-7,500 rpms is normal on this bike but will be greatly reduced if you do a Throttle Body Sync! I actually have a thread on here on how to build your own sync meter (Manometer) and adjust the throttle bodies yourself! Best thing I ever did for the smoothness of my FZ6 engine! :thumbup: