Need help to install my new turn signals!!

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
I received last week a used pair of Rizoma zero 11 led turn signals, and I need your help to install them. I don't now how, so I'm looking for help. I have a stock rear end of my bike at this time.
View attachment 33127
This is what I have to work with. 2 turn signals, 2 load boxes, and 4 resistors.

thanks

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
He couldn't find the instructions for them, so I bought them without it. Including shipping $50 is all it cost me. This is why I'm looking for help. I contacted Pj parts and they said "You don't need the service manual, you need to connect them to the wires from the existing signals. They are polarity Specific - the Red goes to the hot Signal wire, the Black to the ground." So this is all I know for now, and I downloaded a 06 service manual from Boneman's site.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll try to help you with this. Does the Boneman site have the Pazzo directional diagram? I'll PM you my email address.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
This might help a bit: Boneman's FZ6 Site - RIZOMA AVIO 21 LED Signals

If you remove/cut the signal wires from the original turn signals, using a multi meter you can find which one is ground and which is 12VDC+. Or you can simply guess and wire one up and try it. If it dosen't work, swithc the wires around. There is no need to run new wiring all the way back to the relay. Just cut, strip and solder or crimp on the new wires right at the turn signal location.

P5090034.JPG

I ended up trimming off a lot of the excess wiring on the AVIO's to keep things tidy and not have to worry about keeping all that wire looking neat.

Also make sure to replace your stock flasher relay with an LED friendly one like the ELFR-1 Plug & Play Electronic LED Flasher Relay (yes you can mix LED and non-LED lights using this realy - it auto ballances the load).

Last edited:

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
This might help a bit: Boneman's FZ6 Site - RIZOMA AVIO 21 LED Signals

If you remove/cut the signal wires from the original turn signals, using a multi meter you can find which one is ground and which is 12VDC+.

I ended up trimming off a lot of the excess wiring on the AVIO's to keep things tidy and not have to worry about keeping all that wire looking neat.

Also make sure to replace your stock flasher relay with an LED friendly one like the ELFR-1 Plug & Play Electronic LED Flasher Relay (yes you can mix LED and non-LED lights using this realy - it auto ballances the load).

Dave, do I need to buy the relay or can I just use what I have and change it later? Also is the relay in the side pod on the left of the bike or is it in the front like you show? Thanks for your help!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like from this web site, I just need to take the old ones off, and follow the wires to the turn signal relay. Then just plug in the parts together.

Read the PM I just sent you(Discgogulfdude). Those units are meant to also work with 6 volt systems so I would imagine (without having proper data) the directionals use series resistors to create a voltage drop. To be safe I would say use the two resistors per side for the 12 volt system. If these are series resistors one set might be used 6 volt application so try the two resistors for the larger voltage drop from 12 volts. Now let's talk about the load resistors. The load resistors are wired in parallel, across the circuit to emulate the load for an incandescent lamp. This helps normalize flash rate but I would just replace the flasher relay with an electronic unit that flashes the same rate regardless of the load.
Please be aware that I'm working off limited data :confused: and can only assume this is how these are set up. Try to confirm this is how these should be wired to be sure, so you don't toast them.:thumbup:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I would highly reccomend getting that new realy. You can use the stock relay, but then you have to use the included load resistors that come with the AVIO 21s. Without load resistors or the LED Relay, you LED signals will wither flash at a ridculously fast rate, or not at all (sometimes they 'flash' once and just stay on).

The signal realy should (was on my 05) be up front under the left front faring HERE.

The nice thing about the LED relay is that you can have a mix of regular (incandescent bulbs) or LED, or all LEDs and it does the load ballancing for you without the need for adding in bulky load resistors.

Regardless of what you choose to go with, you will need to use the Control Boxes (one for each signal). Looks like the "control boxes" that came with my AVIOS are smaller than the ones that came with yours. In my pic here, you can see they look like small heat shrunk 'packs' attached to the signal (also in the picture are 2 of the 4 load resistors that I didn't need to use)

Last edited:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Read the PM I just sent you(Discgogulfdude). Those units are meant to also work with 6 volt systems so I would imagine (without having proper data) the directionals use series resistors to create a voltage drop. To be safe I would say use the two resistors per side for the 12 volt system. If these are series resistors one set might be used 6 volt application so try the two resistors for the larger voltage drop from 12 volts. Now let's talk about the load resistors. The load resistors are wired in parallel, across the circuit to emulate the load for an incandescent lamp. This helps normalize flash rate but I would just replace the flasher relay with an electronic unit that flashes the same rate regardless of the load.
Please be aware that I'm working off limited data :confused: and can only assume this is how these are set up. Try to confirm this is how these should be wired to be sure, so you don't toast them.:thumbup:

That's why the AVIOs come with what they call "control boxes" (little black boxes, one for each light and MUST be used). From my web site taken from the instructions:

Installation Note: DO NOT install this signal without the load box that is wired to it. It is required to convert the current to 6 volts. Not intended to be used as a running light -- this is a single element signal.

So wiring using stock signal relay, it would look like this:

AVIO 21>>>>Control Box>>>>Load Resitors>>>>>Bike Wiring

If using the LED Relay it would look like this:

AVIO 21>>>>Control Box>>>>Bike Wiring

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Richard,

Let me know if any of the previous post do not help, I believe I may still have the instructions since I purchased the same set a while back.

I could scan it and send it to you.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's why the AVIOs come with what they call "control boxes" (little black boxes, one for each light and MUST be used). From my web site taken from the instructions:

Installation Note: DO NOT install this signal without the load box that is wired to it. It is required to convert the current to 6 volts. Not intended to be used as a running light -- this is a single element signal.

So wiring using stock signal relay, it would look like this:

AVIO 21>>>>Control Box>>>>Load Resitors>>>>>Bike Wiring

If using the LED Relay it would look like this:

AVIO 21>>>>Control Box>>>>Bike Wiring

That's exactly what I was saying. The problems seem to always arise when communicating because of language and of course the black boxes!

The black box as you're describing is a series resistor to create a voltage drop when using this device on a 12 volt system. The other resistors are the load resistors used to emulate an incandescent lamp load...

Love those directionals. The best I've ever seen and when I can I'll definitely get them for the SV.

Last edited:

BamBam77

Old but still riding
Reaction score
Visit site
I did a search on google and found something but I should have looked here first
all the know how and info for the fz6 is here to be had :thumbup: