Naked at high speed!!?

VNP3

Reaction score
Visit site
I havent started the process to naked yet but i want to....the only thing holding me back is when i take trips and theres open road i like to rip it up a little. How unbearable is it to ride at 80+:rockon:

VNP3

Reaction score
Visit site
this thread sounds like a repeat of what i posted a couple weeks ago, but im just more so interested in how the bike performs with the transformation as opposed to the difficulty of the change. the more replies the better?

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
My naked is that way from factory (european model), and I haven't had any problem at all riding at speed, it is with me since new december 2008 and so far almost 51000 kms (32000 miles), have in mind that I don't have the highways you have, lot of mountains and twisties, less straights, but anyway I have gone to the Caribbean coast of my country that hast a lot of long straights riding at 160 kmh (100 mph) and no problems at all, and I don't workout my shoulder and neck muscles :D, I am not even a big guy, just 1.75m (5'9") and 75 kilos (165 pounds)

also I have never ridden for a significant time a faired bike, so I don't miss what I really don't know

Cheers

Sarz

Reaction score
Visit site
I do alot of motorway riding, to and from work. I've reached 135mph top speed. Bike feels like it's defiantly capable of going alot faster. I'm only really ripping it with an empty motorway. Just get yourself down close to the tank butt back and grip the tank with your knees.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
To me, naked is much more comfortable than the faired fz at any speed.

+1! The only time faired FZ6 felt better to me was when I would lean way down to completely hide behind the screen, but I couldn't ride like that very long.

DrewT86

Reaction score
Visit site
see i thought you saw the same guy i saw 2 weeks ago... he was riding a cruiser up in the north georgia mountains n NOTHING but boxers.... no socks no shoes no shirt no decency. Made me do a double take and not in the good way.

g8anos

Reaction score
Visit site
I've ride my naked (OEM eu-bike) fz6, on long trips and on high ways, some times at top speed... In contrary to what is said above, I'll say don't go naked if you plan long trips!

The turbulent wind is causing your helmet to vibrate heavily, and the noise is only bearable with in-ear plugs or mp3 player on full volume... If you'd like to go 160kmh and above, you have to bend down until your chin almost touches the tank.

Proof of this is that I bought a mini-fairing, Secdem Bullster for 120euros, and big MRA touring fairing for naked bikes for long distance travel for 170euros...

I would easily trade my naked headlight assembly, for a fairing assembly ...

PS: The only good thing about this, is that you don't have to work out! Driving a naked bike at high speeds with wind, is like going to the gym ... :D

PS2: I am 1,79m tall, and 80kgr ... and I have a very sound-suppressing shoei xr-1000 helmet ...

Sarz

Reaction score
Visit site
Sarz your doing this without the fairing?

Should have said in the original post. It's a naked fz6 which is coming up to 35k miles now. From time to time might see an R1 I'd like to try an keep up with or some high performance car :) I'm a pretty big guy 5'9 but I carry alot of weight ;) which might help me deal with the wind a little easier.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've ride my naked (OEM eu-bike) fz6, on long trips and on high ways, some times at top speed... In contrary to what is said above, I'll say don't go naked if you plan long trips!

The turbulent wind is causing your helmet to vibrate heavily, and the noise is only bearable with in-ear plugs or mp3 player on full volume... If you'd like to go 160kmh and above, you have to bend down until your chin almost touches the tank.

Proof of this is that I bought a mini-fairing, Secdem Bullster for 120euros, and big MRA touring fairing for naked bikes for long distance travel for 170euros...

PS: The only good thing about this, is that you don't have to work out! Driving a naked bike at high speeds with wind, is like going to the gym ... :D

PS2: I am 1,79m tall, and 80kgr ... and I have a very sound-suppressing shoei xr-1000 helmet ...

Interesting how your experience with this setup is so different. I'm curious.. have you ever ridden a faired FZ6?

I don't think naked FZ is brilliant at high speed, but I do think it's better than faired version. Helmet turbulence on faired bike was infinitely worse than on naked. Same goes for noise. :don'tknow:

VNP3

Reaction score
Visit site
Sarz im also about that stature about 5'10 240....i think its funny how some people say yea going completely naked is awesome and others say dont do it. My feelings are that if i went naked i think i would love it...and when i do rip on the throttle its never more than an extended period of time i think even on a faired bike riding continuously at near max speeds is exhausting regardless of the protection. I think im def going to make the change....the woman bought the first piece to the makeover in the fender eliminator kit. Small step forward but a step none the less.

Erici....whats your fz6 look like

Anesi

Reaction score
Visit site
The naked looks is just awesome. However, my next bike will definitely have a full fairing. I love the way the fz feels and handles all the way up to about 120-130 km/h - by then the wind resistance gets annoying, and above 130 it gets more or less an endurance run. Not so much fun.

Frame of reference is my girlfirends sexy SV 650 full faired. Its awesome to cruise the motorway on (well, also on the motorway). Similar wind noise though, but a lot less wind blast since only my shoulders and head are in the wind.

So my two cents would be, if you ride motorway often, keep your fairing. If you don't, then go for the awesome naked look :thumbup:

/Anesi

Ps: Added bonus: The nakedness will (maybe?) keep you from going ludacris speed on the motorway and loose you license ;)

Last edited:

g8anos

Reaction score
Visit site
@Erci,

Yes, I've drove the fairing version of my brothers fz6 2007. At pretty high speeds too!
The turbulence on the helmet is somewhat bigger (if you are sitting straight up), but the noise-level is lower. I believe that this is due to the air being compressed on the windscreen, before it hits your helmet. The good thing is that it hits the helmet from the middle(visor) to top region, conclusively the noise from the air that enters through the bottom of the helmet is virtually eliminated.

The "below"-neck area is also spared from the air-resistance, due to the aerodynamic front shape of the fairing, it slices the air open minimizing turbulence.

For long distances with high speeds, the only thing you have to do is to duck a little so the air just swaps the top region of the helmet and you can go on for hours.

PS: It's the logical conclusion. I mean, let's face it, the fairing exists for air protection. All big sport touring bikes, like the busa, have big aerodynamic fairings to make long travel at high speed bearable.

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site

How did you like the MRA screen? Did it help with the amount of wind hitting your chest?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Erici....whats your fz6 look like

36138d1307238227-nj-pa-ny-gathering-img_0065.jpg

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
i think it all really just depends on what kind of setup you go with to how much wind you will get, i can ride just fine at 130mph and still hear my ipod