Mystery noise and vibration

Shilts

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all. My bike has very recently developed a suptle grinding noise which is particularly noticeable with the clutch pulled in and coasting. When speed comes down to 30 to 40 mph while coasting I feel a vibration. There is also a definite resistance holding the bike back slightly.

I'm pretty confident its not wheels or brakes, although it did seem to start soon after removing rear wheel for puncture repair. I think I've narrowed it down to lower half of engine, but can't decide if its clutch side or gearing side. Its sounds like something is not running freely though and I'm nervy to use the bike at the mo.

Bike is 06 with 20,000 km so clutch should be ok no? Any clues before I give in and get the garage to check it out with not much to go on?

Cheers

muck_mahone

Reaction score
Visit site
First place I would start with is the rear wheel alignment, drive chain adjustment, and the condition of the drive chain. Could be as simple as a tight spot on the drive chain, presuming it was all put back together nicely and correctly tensioned, which could highlight a tight spot you never knew you had.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the forum Shilts! Interesting that it shows you've joined in June of 2010 and this is your first post.

As well as proper chain tension and alignment I would also check your front drive sprocket.
Good luck and again welcome!

Shilts

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks I'll give the wheel alignment another check. Is it accurate enough to measure between the rear swing arms or should I use another method?

Cheers

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the above.

A worn chain/ not cleaned lubed will make noise and can be felt. Too tight a chain will also cause problems, especially if it started shortly after you had the rear wheel removed.. Set the adjustment at the TIGHTEST spot in the chain after cleaning and lubing.

If you want to check for kinks, (if non are visable), remove the rear wheel, and just move each link looking for one that doesn't want to move as it should. Should you find some links locked up and cannot free them up, I'd replace it ASAP as it'll eat up your sprockets..

Last edited: