My first fall

Full Throttle

Reaction score
Visit site
Been there. Done that. The only thing worse than gravel is going downhill on gravel. Glad you are ok.

Lowell

That's exactly what happened on the way home. All down hill for what seemed forever with turns. I held the clutch in and road the rear break which seemed for at least 1/2 a mile.

And all you guys are right. Need to get some real riding gear. Especially when I go long distance.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
Glad that your first was a slow drop and that you're fine. Yeah, it's sometimes difficult to remember to use the rear brakes when not on pavement. About a month ago I went and visited where I grew up. Once off the main road, it's nothing but dirt and gravel. The entire time I had to keep telling myself, "Rear brakes, rear brakes". :D

As for the GoPros, yeah they're tough little cameras. During the Track Day episode for my site, Jen had one on her bike when she went down. The camera and case weren't damaged at all. Only the mount broke, and those are pretty cheap to replace. Too bad she forgot (ugh!!!) to turn the camera on before she got on the track.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I will also add that this just goes to show how resilient our half naked bikes are. Plus if you have frame sliders or engine bars they are dang near bullet proof on those slow falls

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree on sliders, should be first mod for any fz6. And then to get into reflex back wheel braking. I learnt it very fast because on my way to work I have a lot of tram tracks that I have to pass while braking (e.g. in a curve) so back wheel locks almos instantly while passing them if I apply tinniest pressure on foot brake. I never use front wheel braking on any slippery surface if not raining. Also rear wheel sliding is fun if controlled :D

D

Dave.TX

I'm glad it was a low speed fall. The first thing I noticed were the boots and laces dangling out there. I still wear lace boots too but make sure the laces are short or tucked into the boot. There's a pair of Alpinestars SMX-5 on order for me so when they come in this week I'll be good to go in that department.

I installed frame sliders on Friday. Less than $100 and a great investment.

I haven't fallen yet and don't plan to. The previous owner of my bike has (it shows, though not bad) so that's good enough for me.

I did like the old buildings where you were at, the scenery was nice. Never been to NJ, closest was Maryland (and not on a bike).

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're ok dude. I went down for the first time last week as well and it was not fun. Happy to say I made it out with minor injuries, not happy to say my bike did not fair quite as well as yours.

Scuffs and scratches are the least of my worries.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm glad your ok, when I heard the engine rev after you feel, made me remember my fall. I had my bike for 2 days and I did't really know how to ride. I was making a right hand turn on a slight upgrade with some gravel on the side of the road, hit the the gas and noticed I was going to fast, and grabbed a fist full of front brake........ and down I went much like yours.... two years ago!

Now go out and get you a pair of shift boots that have laces that are short and a velcro strap that covers the not and loops.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I saw this late last night, I didnt realize you had it recording! All I heard was the throttle wind out and I thought, Wow, little excessive to get someones attention......then I turned around. Glad you were ok and finished the rest of the ride.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I saw this late last night, I didnt realize you had it recording! All I heard was the throttle wind out and I thought, Wow, little excessive to get someones attention......then I turned around. Glad you were ok and finished the rest of the ride.

+1. By the time I stopped and turned my head to look back, the bike was already back up.

Full Throttle

Reaction score
Visit site
+1. By the time I stopped and turned my head to look back, the bike was already back up.

Yeah, it was interesting. I still see it as a "everything happens for a reason" experience. I mean for me to have to go off road on my way home by myself the same day... If I hadn't learned the hard way about the rear break vs the front break I could have fallen when I was by myself and really had a problem.

P.S. Thank God for frame sliders!

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's exactly what happened on the way home. All down hill for what seemed forever with turns. I held the clutch in and road the rear break which seemed for at least 1/2 a mile.

And all you guys are right. Need to get some real riding gear. Especially when I go long distance.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

You need protective gear now. It's the first impact and few feet that the damage occurs not the last thousand miles...:rolleyes: :D