My cafe racer project CB550

Dr.Landau

Reaction score
Visit site
Who cares about other peoples opinions :)

Good luck Dirk. Can't wait to see you work on this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh **** this forum, why the **** did the dude post it asking for opinions if HE didnt want them, I dont care what you do with it just giving you my opinion based on my experience with dumping a ****load of cash into something thinking" They'll love what I did to it", no they wont! and you WONT get what you dumped into it... maybe if you part it out, but thats kinda pointless AINT IT.

DONT ASK FOR OPINIONS IF YOU DONT WANT THEM!

Really please ban me from this OVERLY PC forum.

And ***** * *****

Sent from my brain to my fingers to the keyboard via broadband to your PC!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh **** this forum, why the **** did the dude post it asking for opinions if HE didnt want them, I dont care what you do with it just giving you my opinion based on my experience with dumping a ****load of cash into something thinking" They'll love what I did to it", no they wont! and you WONT get what you dumped into it... maybe if you part it out, but thats kinda pointless AINT IT.

And ********!

Good Lord Dude, give it a rest. I found your post first and looked forward to good pissing contest. Man what a let down. I'm still trying to figure out what caused you to fly off the handle. Someone piss in your Wheaties???

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
dirk, how much do you have in it? it'd be interesting to see a real tally of the amount of money put into the project - even the small things. and how much time it'll take. these things often eat up a lot of money.

outside of that....
whatever you do, don't put a checkered pattern anywhere on the bike.

colors... hmm. red and black are classic, but also done by a lot of people. you'd have to get creative to make it original. i'm a fan of bring stuff up to modern levels so i like the idea of usd forks. but if you keep the spokes and can lace them, i'd take them apart and paint/powder the hubs and rims black and the spokes red. and i'd paint/powder the forks black as well.

tank/seat... i think that's a pretty good tank to start with. knee dents would make it nicer. regardless of tank... i think the seat and tank need to work together. i'd stay away from anything boxy.

now if you wanted to have a lot of fun you could go brat style rather than cafe.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

And ********

I don't think this forum is overly PC.
Sounds more like a control issue. I see Dr. was banned?????? Wait a minute....I'm going to ban myself Wait....Ok....Banned!

Sometimes it takes a few minutes to digest things before you should get bent out of shape.

Wasn't Kaz expressing her opinion?

Getting back to the OP's subject. If I found a cafe racer I really liked and done well, I'd pay the very decent bucks for one because I really like the look! I'm almost betting Kirk will build this bike and just fall in love with it and not want to let his baby go! Haha! :rockon:

Last edited:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

And ***** * *****

Way to fly off the handle. Took my post personal - was a general comment not even directed at anyone in particular. Jeez, I even had a smiley face!..... :eek:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love the cafe look and the CB550 is the perfect bike for it. I've liked the Honda GB500 thumper since they came out in about '85 or so. Maybe something along those lines with a quarter fairing that has been ratted out to a degree??? I know the MotoGP/LoveJoy's crowd in Austin would eat that up with a spoon.

View attachment 34349

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You had to start this thread! Now I I'm feelin a little feverish! :rockon:

Some of those cafes are so tasty looking! :BLAA:

YamaSpeed

Dartmouth Ambassador
Reaction score
Visit site
CB 550s are sweet little bikes that are surprisingly fast. I have rode two of them as well as the a couple of CB 750s (widow makers) I always likes the 550 better.

I couldn't help but notice that the 4 into 1 that came with it is AWESOME. I don't remember seeing a stock honda exhaust like that. That bike will make a great cafe racer.

I think you should build that engine. Those old CBs love high lift cams. you can get an extra 2000 RPM out of them.

if money is no object:

Honda CB 500 & 550 Big Bore Kit and High lift Mega Cam - (item 110665346542 end time Mar-29-11 19:48:01 PDT)

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
CB 550s are sweet little bikes that are surprisingly fast. I have rode two of them as well as the a couple of CB 750s (widow makers) I always likes the 550 better.

I couldn't help but notice that the 4 into 1 that came with it is AWESOME. I don't remember seeing a stock honda exhaust like that. That bike will make a great cafe racer.

I think you should build that engine. Those old CBs love high lift cams. you can get an extra 2000 RPM out of them.

if money is no object:

Honda CB 500 & 550 Big Bore Kit and High lift Mega Cam - (item 110665346542 end time Mar-29-11 19:48:01 PDT)

The four into one is a CB550F Super Sport thing. Money is an object actually. That would be freaking good though.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using tapatalk.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Use this for inspiration :thumbup: She is a tasty looking bike :drool:
moto_guzzi_racer.jpg

Chupacabra

College Graduate??
Reaction score
Visit site
That is a gorgeous bike Humperdinkel!

Gah, I need to get a V35 in the future and make it look that purrrdddyyyy:drool:

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a big fan of clean and simple. so I like stuff like the bikes from Exile Cycles with satin finsh stuff and flat black paint

This bikes a 750 but still you can see what I'm talking about
wrenchmonkees_gorilla_punch.jpg

This Ducati single is pure sex
ducati-350.jpg

Last edited:

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Just an update. I have the bike all apart and have taken some unneeded tabs off the frame. Got the tank done and a tail section as well. Lots of new parts on the way and hope to start building and mocking it up next weekend.

ae9b3935-ab01-4bc6.jpg

ae9b3935-ab28-ee3b.jpg

ae9b3935-ab48-2c36.jpg

ae9b3935-ab63-7199.jpg

ae9b3935-ab7c-baa1.jpg

ae9b3935-aba0-71d2.jpg

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just an update. I have the bike all apart and have taken some unneeded tabs off the frame. Got the tank done and a tail section as well. Lots of new parts on the way and hope to start building and mocking it up next weekend.
Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk

Nice work! I can't wait to see this baby done! I'm glad you picked that type tail section. Gonna look "Bitchin! :rockon: