MUST DO suspension adjustment/mods

schumy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I just came back from the track and I want to share some of my experiences.

First and foremost, don't be afraid to push your FZ6... I was in the advanced group and passing people on gixxers, R6, and zx6r... The bike can do a lot with a decent enough rider on it. I can't imagine what a good rider could do with it.

Second and the reason for my post, the suspension setup. My bike came with the preload set to 3. As i took it around the track the bike felt very wobbly in the exits, the back would just move up and down like an old caddy. So before my 3rd session, I set the preload to the max. OH BOY WHAT A DIFFERENCE. The bike felt more planted, no more wobble whatsoever. Acceleration out of turns was much smoother, and the bike felt really really stable. I'm sure most of you have felt the back compress under heavy acceleration, well not anymore :).

But really, the most important outcome of this little exercise was that the bike felt glued to the ground compared to the previous suspension settings.

So boys and girls, if you want a better handling bike without spending money for a new suspension setup, then just increase the preload a few notches (i put it to the max, but i also weigh 190lbs).

I will be looking into the R6 front/rear suspension mod, because the front still felt a bit weak, and the bike dived a bit too much for my liking under heavy braking.

One thing i should mention, the track was rough in certain spots, lots of bumps and cracks, and the bike still felt planted and didn't jump or skid or anything of the sort, so don't be afraid to tighten that rear suspension.

And finally!!!!!! Invest in a good set of tires, i had brand new Pilot Powers with not more than 1000km on them, and i didn't feel ANY slip or slide, and i passed through dusty chalk marks on the tarmac a few times.

Jake

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the rear spring preload. If you leave it at factory settings it feels like riding a pogo stick in the turns. I'm 200 lbs and also have mine maxed at 7.

Jake

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Just moving my rear shock adjustment from 3 to 4 made a world of difference for my style of riding. I wish the front shocks were adjustable, though...I find the front end dive under even medium braking to be a bit disconcerting...under heavy braking it's downright dangerous. Race Tech(?) front springs are my next mod.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great to hear you had a fun time at the track. Just goes to show its all about the rider, NOT the bike. Isn't it fun to have the "sleeper" on the track???

Yes our suspension stinks for the track. For the street it is fine for 95% of your riding.

Spend the $100.00 on the Race Tech springs and 15 wt oil and you'll be blown away, night and day!

And you are correct, good tires are the number one thing for a good handeling bike. All the difference in the world. :rockon:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Top already hit the nail on the head.

I was going to suggest, for the budget minded, start with a 7 on the rear shock. Then, either drain or pump the fork oil out (1 at a time!) and replace it with 15w oil. If that isn't enough, since you already have the 15w oil in, get the Racetech springs and (1 at a time!) drop those in and work on adjustments for sag. Done with patience, time and effort, you can accomplish this without tearing down the front.

gt89stang393

Reaction score
Visit site
Slightly off topic, but would adjusting the shock take away the lower speed "loose" feeling in turns? For whatever reason going slowing in turns and rolling onto the throttle the bike feels like the back tire is getting loose.

Thank you

schumy

Reaction score
Visit site
Slightly off topic, but would adjusting the shock take away the lower speed "loose" feeling in turns? For whatever reason going slowing in turns and rolling onto the throttle the bike feels like the back tire is getting loose.

Thank you

hmmm, if you mean loose as in side to side loose, then you might need new tires, or the pavement is dirty.

My bike felt loose vertically, meaning it would move in a wavy motion up and down when exiting turns on the track. However i never felt anything even remotely close to that on the road.

Describe a bit more this "loose" feeling you experience, maybe we can help

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Remember you need to consider the "sag" of the bike too. Sag is the difference in the height of the bike without the rider vs. the height with the rider. Totally off the top of my head, you want about 25mm to 35mm of sag. Not enough and your suspension will not conform to the bumps and will bounce off of them. Too little and your bike will be sloppy. Also your riding preferences need to be taken into consideration too. Suspension set up is both an art and a science.

Tire pressure has a big influence on handleing too. Too much and the tires will hop more and not warm up all the way, too little and the tires may over heat. The rule of thumb, is measure the pressure of stone cold tires, ride them for about four to five laps, measure them again and the pressure should only change 2 lbs, or so. That's the art part of it, but it works, 95% of the time.

Last edited:

schumy

Reaction score
Visit site
Remember you need to consider the "sag" of the bike too. Sag is the difference in the height of the bike without the rider vs. the height with the rider. Totally off the top of my head, you want about 25mm to 35mm of sag. Not enough and your suspension will not conform to the bumps and will bounce off of them. Too little and your bike will be sloppy. Also your riding preferences need to be taken into consideration too. Suspension set up is both an art and a science.

hmmm... i'm getting VERY tempted to do the spring mod. The calculator on the race tech website says i should get .985 (so 1kg should be ok)

although i'm not sure how to calculate the size of the washer and # of spacers (read defyinertia's post) to get the right sag, etc...

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hmmm... i'm getting VERY tempted to do the spring mod. The calculator on the race tech website says i should get .985 (so 1kg should be ok)

although i'm not sure how to calculate the size of the washer and # of spacers (read defyinertia's post) to get the right sag, etc...

I have .90 springs, I weigh 175ish, and I used DI's original space length, I don't remember it now, but I'm happy with. DI ended up going shorter. If RT calls for a .985 for you, you REALLY need springs! You will LOVE them! Our stock spring is like a .80 or so.

I am looking into R6 forks at this point. Need to find a good price on a set.

schumy

Reaction score
Visit site
I have .90 springs, I weigh 175ish, and I used DI's original space length, I don't remember it now, but I'm happy with. DI ended up going shorter. If RT calls for a .985 for you, you REALLY need springs! You will LOVE them! Our stock spring is like a .80 or so.

I am looking into R6 forks at this point. Need to find a good price on a set.

i'd go for R6 adjustable forks right away if i had the choice :p ...

How much are they on average, and what would be a GOOD deal ?

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do have a question though regarding R6 forks.... If they are in demand by the FZ6 (and other models) as the prefered forks, then what are the R6 folks replacing them with? I don't hang at the R6 forums so pardon my ignorance here. Anyone in the know?

Thnx!!

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site

Scott

Nerd Extraordinaire
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good discussion. I've actually noticed my bike feeling "soft" in the front while cornering, although as an inexperienced rider I just thought maybe that's how it's supposed to feel. Sometimes it even felt like maybe the front tire was slipping or something (not completely sure how to describe it). It's possible it was dirty pavement. The problem I have is that I'm new to riding, so I don't know how things should feel, and it's a used bike, so I'm not sure if everything is stock (springs, oil weight, etc).

So I weigh about 225. Do you guys recommend I set the back suspension to the max value, as others have mentioned? Also, can someone post a quick how-to for adjusting it? I know I could search, but it may be nice to have the info in this thread since it's about suspensions (so other noobs like me find it easily in one place). edit: I did a search, couldn't find a "how-to" for doing this. I know, RTFM! :)

And maybe I should just take it to the shop and have them flush/refill the oil in the front with a heavier weight?

edit: Also remembered, the guy at the shop said my bike has some really good aftermarket "racing" tires on it. I can post the details once I get home if necessary, but is this a good or bad thing for me as a new rider?

(sorry for all the questions, but you guys are awesome)

Last edited: