Motorcycle Choking on igniotion

PatrickS

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

i seem to be having a lil trouble, and i could use any input possible.
Been riding all day in a hot weather (odd for montreal i know) , and as i stop my motorcycle in order to park it, i turn it off using my kill switch like i always do.

A minute later, i decided to change spots, and there it is, my motorcycle is chocking and is not powering on.

I though to myself that it must be the hot weather, so i go and buy a water bottle and irrigate the radiator a bit.

a couple of minutes later it turned on just fine, but it seems like something is holding it back. there is no "rawr" that you hear when u turn it on.

So i go home, park it, and wait 4 to 5 hours before trying to turn it back on, and i get the same problem as before, but this time my bike is on but i had to twist the gas in order for it to turn on.

I am pretty sure that its not a battery problem, and am thinking it must be the spark plugs.

Any inputs ?

Thank you all !

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like the TPS is going bad. Have you had the recall performed on your bike? Stumbling, stalling and being hard to start are all related in part, to the TPS.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Whats TPS, and what do you ean by recall performed :(

Throttle Position Sensor. TPS tells the ECU how much you're twisting the throttle and how much fuel to inject. It's a known issue on earlier FZ6s and it's about the only problem that has been reported a lot. Thankfully, it can be fixed.

A recall is out for some of the earlier versions of the bike (04s for sure), so I don't know all that much about it since I have an '07. A quick search should set you up with more help. If it's a recall issue it should be a free fix and your bike will run well again.

Here's some info from another forum. I've never dealt with this, but maybe it'll help? Sounds like it might be your problem.

What are the Symptoms of a Faulty TPS?
•Stalling
•Irregual idle
•RPM Drop while acclerating or trying to maintain a constand speed.
•Drop in fuel Mileage
•Poor Throttle Response

To check the TPS values, you have to press and hold SELECT + RESET, then turn the key and keep them pressed for 8 more seconds.

It'll appear dIAg on the display, you can release them now. Afterwards use select until you see a d01 (Diagnostic Mode for the TPS)

Then it should read between 15 and 17 if the throttle is closed,
With the throttle fully open, it should read between 97 and 100.

If the values are over or below those I mentioned, the TPS should be replaced.

To leave the dIAG mode, simply turn the key counter clockwise.

Last edited:

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 08 and I've had the same problem only about 3 or 4 times. I drive it to work in the morning and let it sit in the parking lot all day (it only has happened on hot days) and when I go to start it after work, it won't start until I give it a little gas, then it won't idle right, is down on power and seems like it wants to stall. By the time I get to the freeway, about 2 miles, it runs fine. I told the guys at the dealership about it when I took it in for a service and they looked at each other and said something about the TPS. When I got it back, I asked what they did, and they said they couldn't get the bike to duplicate the problem and did nothing for it. But it didn't do it for a long time. But not too long ago, it did it again, but only once. Not too sure what it is, but it seems to run fine. If you figure this out, let us all know on here.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As a side note, we've had a few folks here with faulty kill switches as well. Sportrider had his damned near kill him when it cut out in a corner. Search the threads for that one and he tells you how to bypass it for testing. Might be worth a shot, especially since you use it often.

PatrickS

Reaction score
Visit site
After 3 days of poking around on my bike, i think i found what the problem was.
A couple of weeks ago i started drving with my high beams on at all times.

Ever since i had this on, my bike's battery was being drained faster then it was being filled. SO a couple of days ago, that energy was almost out, and was giving me trouble.

I turned my high beams off and my baby is back on her feet :)

Ty all for your help !

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for getting back to us on this. It helps us all in our collective experience for helping each other. Well done!

That's interesting! Low voltage. My son has a problem in hot weather with his CBR600 charging. Battery goes weak and ends up having to bump start it. Cool weather it's okay.