MotoGP and the Economy

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
Well this bites...

Kawasaki announced it will suspend MotoGP racing for the 2009 season. I know its "Kawasaki" but this is not good for race fans and ultimately consumers.

I hope the 2010 season brings them back.

Bruce McCrary

RDY2GO!
Reaction score
rdytogo.blogspot.com
Actually it's probably just the tip of the proverbial iceburg...

Suzuki has suspened all support for amatuer racing, Honda has dropped it's AMA roadracing team, most of the aftermarket vendors have tightened up thier belts when it comes to racer support.

There's more on the horizon too from what I've been hearing.

Bruce

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
a couple of major players in the WRC have pulled out over here in europe... F1 lost Honda (with 1 or 2 others suspected to announce withdrawal)im sure by the time we get out of this hole,motorsport in general will be unrecognisable..we may even start to see the acendency of southeast asain manufacturers

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
From what I read yesterday, Kawasaki will still have a showing, the bikes maybe run by Martinez's Aspar team?

I'll see if I can find out some solid info on that though??

:)

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2008/Dorna+CEO+Ezpeleta+on+Kawasaki+withdrawal

Doesn't mention Martinez, (and I can't remember where I read that... I'll keep looking), but it does open up the posibility of Kwaka's run by a privateer.

Last edited:

Bruce McCrary

RDY2GO!
Reaction score
rdytogo.blogspot.com
The thing you have to remember is that none of the Japanese motorcycle manufacturers and probably most of the euro's don't even want factory run race teams. Not just in MotoGP or road racing, but period. They'd much rather provide support in the form of special parts and technical expertise.

It's not just the cost factor either although in these economic times it is definitely a issue. Running a team at that level is a huge undertaking, especially if you're doing it in several different forms and on more than one continent.

The win on Sunday, sell on Monday thinking with them went out the window years ago. It really isn't true anymore. Consumers are so much more educated, much more knowledgeable and for the most part so much less gullible. It's really all about pride and R&D. When money gets tight, people and corporations tend to swallow their pride and R&D can come from many sources that are far more cost effective than maintaining race teams.

It's a sad deal no doubt. But I think we'll see it come full circle.

Bruce