Most inexpensive way to make bike louder..

JONJONsocal

UNKNOWN HOON
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is the think. I love the way the stock mufflers look. One of the first reason why I bought the bike.. I do feel the need to make it louder. I have an 02 honda super hawk 996 with erion racing slip ons and I feel that cage drivers see me (hear me) better on that loud bike than my Fz6.. I know that with Fi's you have to get them mapped and all that... PC. But I almost bought a Triumph 600 with aftermarket pipes without a power commander or any mapper device. I cant really spend that much on a muffler system.. I've seen them for over $800 without a mapping device... thanks:D

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
You dont need a mapping device for 90% of slip on exhaust, if you after peak power and performance then you will, if you after a better sound, then no remap is needed.

Other then 2nd hand pipes or making your own there isnt really a cheap way, drilling out the standard can is an option but does not make it any louder only a slightly different note

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on both the above.

My open Scorps, iridium plugs, stock air filter, cat still in, runs great (no re-mapping, no popping, sounds like a liter bike, (especially when getting on the throttle). Much lighter, not as much heat under the seat as their smaller and air can flow inbetween the two mufflers.

IMHO, I'd go with an aftermarket if you can swing the $.

If you like the look of the OEM's, drill em!

Last edited:

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
You want a cheap loud exhaust? Run open mid pipe. Haha I did before I out my two brothers. Even with head phones, my ears hurt.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I would go with drilling them out....especially the cat/midpipe.
I DOES sound very similar to a liter bike....if you dont believe us then I can post a vid of my FZ idling next to my R1 :D ....they sound remarkably similar..

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I drilled my stock exhaust, then decided to try Scorpion pipes, then went back to drilled stock. The reason is because with the baffles out (although they sounded AMAZING) the Scorpions were too loud for my taste, and with the baffles in, they weren't much louder than my drilled stock exhaust.

So I decided to save $400 for more important things and I'm mostly happy with the sound from my drilled stock exhaust. Sometimes I wish I had the open Scorpions still because the sound is simply intoxicating, but then again I'm not the type of person who wants to attract unnecessary attention.

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
Cheap and FREAKING LOUD!!

Of course I bought cause I'm not skilled enough to make one. If you can find someone to do it, then this is the route (though sometimes when I'm riding home late at night, I wish it wasn't so loud! LOL).

[youtubevid]H5ImX0n6pcw[/youtubevid]

Sounds the very same as my slip ons without baffle. louder than my friends zx9 with beowolf exhaust with no baffle :Flip: :Flip:

JONJONsocal

UNKNOWN HOON
Reaction score
Visit site
Cheap and FREAKING LOUD!!

Of course I bought cause I'm not skilled enough to make one. If you can find someone to do it, then this is the route (though sometimes when I'm riding home late at night, I wish it wasn't so loud! LOL).

[youtubevid]H5ImX0n6pcw[/youtubevid]

Sounds loud...

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Drill the stock muffler, drill the stock cat, cut away part of the airbox housing (called the "airbox" mod on here). Unplug the battery for a few hours after doing all this and next time you run the bike it will automatically retune for the reduced back-pressure and increased air input.

Price: £0.00 (unless you need to buy tools).
Effect: pretty damn loud.

When you combine the airbox mod and the cat-drill alone it makes a difference. I actually put my cat back on as with the mid-pipe that replaced it it was too loud!

You don't need how-to instructions written here - there are videos, pictures and guides on the forum. Just search.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
K, heres my question then...

Will it make any difference to keep the stock muffler (undrilled) and make my own non-cat pipe?

Think that will add any rumble or volume to it?

I'm getting kind of sick of the lack of any volume at all that the stock system puts out too, but i dont really care for loud..

Last edited:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm more of a dog person, so my bike doesn't have a Cat -

Actually the PO most likely had a LeoVince exhaust that decatted the bike, removed the slip ons and left the decatted uppipe in there when he sold the bike.

The mufflers still work very well at making the bike sound like a weed eater, removing the cat will do nothing to increase your noise factor if you're not modifying the mufflers, only helps kill the planet faster.