Merzlers installed! Rear rim has little knicks inside outer rim?!?!

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Metzlers installed! Rear rim has little knicks inside outer rim?!?!

Well I just put on the Metzler interact Z8's on Friday. Will give them a spin.. Hope all goes well. Have to admit a little P.O.'d. Got the bike back. I found a few Knicks on the back rim. Typically, it wouldnt really bother me. But considering I cleaned off the rear rim some time last week and didnt notice anything. And the bike is only 3 to 4 months old...

I Dropped the back off last Thursday. Then went to pick up the bike on Friday night. They hadnt swapped the tires out yet. They were extremely busy. While waiting I happened to notice when the bike was on the lift there was a number of knicks on the inside the rim. I have to admit I was a little embarassed, I mentioned it to them. Or maybe it was the fact it was Friday night and it took them 1.75 hours from when i had walked in the door to walk out. Coincidentally, it was the shop manager working on the bike....all he told me, " I m not sure what it would be. The wrench turning doesn't touch any of those angles when removing the rear tire" Absolutely no accommodation, and managerial denial. Not sure if it was all the rush, or the fact the shop manager did the work. As you can imagine he must very busy. I did happen to notice they lock there bikes parked in unison via cable for staging. Maybe that was it?

Soooo, what next?
Would you request them to replace rim?
Would you eat crow?
Do you think its too insignificant to matter, the road will eventually jack up the rim?

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW: we're all different and it all depends what your level of anguish is. If a file and some touch up would do, that may be an option. Yes, you'll have to wash the bike in dark now or RIDE through the car was but hey, at least you won't notice!
Because you posted, it seems to matter so go talk to them and see what they have to offer.
I took my wheels in for tire fitting and was impressed that they washed them and returned the tape to the axle area to keep debris out so I was happy. So, go talk and see what happens. . .

Last edited by a moderator:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
That Sux. unfortunately this is par for the course when leaving your bike at a dealership. Find a private mechanic with a good rep or use moto tire guy going forward.

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
That Sux. unfortunately this is par for the course when leaving your bike at a dealership. Find a private mechanic with a good rep or use moto tire guy going forward.

I think busy and rushing are the key phrases here...fella's. Other than accommodate.

-Defy, wasn't the dealership dude. It was actually a reputable east bay tuner/dyno shop (Pacheco/Concord)One of the objectives was to get my foot in the door... And build a repport. They tune a lot of high performance vehicles. Including many track bikes for Infenion, willow Springs, and Seca. Just really wanted to get foot in the door with locale shop. Speaking of which, Defy do you have any shops you could recommend? I thought maybe of checking out Factory Pro next...over in San Rafael. They seem to have history with the FZ6.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
. Speaking of which, Defy do you have any shops you could recommend? I thought maybe of checking out Factory Pro next...over in San Rafael. They seem to have history with the FZ6.

Oh geeze, that sucks. SOunded like a dealership.

The only places I can recommend are Scuderia West (a KTM/Aprilia dealer in SF) and MotoTireGuy (for changing tires...$22 a pop, by appointment, and it's a 10 minute process).

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Put 70 miles on the bike today with the new tires. The tires are great! The bike just handles the road better pure and simple. Much happier with the new Metzlers Roadtec Interact Z8's. The lean in seems much more trusting. The rolling on and off is also a tad smoother...:thumbup:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
OK fess up, who did the tire swap in Sac.

It's hard to get any shop to be careful but I have been happy with Roseville Yamaha for other work on my FJR.

I use my local Honda shop for tires and yes they come back with scratches sometimes, damit.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you identify the marks/scratches/nicks BEFORE you took the bike from the fitter? If so, the scratches would have been obviously 'new' and if so, I'd be furious!

Absolutely I'd chase it up - there's no such thing, in my opinion, as insignificant damage by a dealer/shop.

My bike is 37000kms old, and the rims absolutely look like new. NO marks whatsoever, so the idea that it's happen over time is not true.

Chances are they were rushed and fked up - and you shouldn't have to pay for their lack of time management.

THEY accepted the job, so in their mind, they had adequate time to do the tyre swap PROFESSIONALLY.

And as for the tyres? The Metzelers are my next pic for tyres! (I need then in the next few weeks)

Cheers,
Rick

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Just gotta do it............:D

:needpics:
J-man, already covered scratches with a touch up pen.... Not nearly noticeable since it dried.... It was just a awkward situation. Especially at 6:45 Friday night. You know the fine line between letting it ride, and snapping. Not sure if pics would show at this point.

Last edited:

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
OK fess up, who did the tire swap in Sac.

It's hard to get any shop to be careful but I have been happy with Roseville Yamaha for other work on my FJR.

I use my local Honda shop for tires and yes they come back with scratches sometimes, damit.

Nooo. No place in Sac... Just a little too far. It was a shop over in Concord /Pacheco. There's a Yami in Roseville? Closest ones here are Berkely or Vallejo. We use to have a local Yami for years.

Last edited:

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
J-man, already covered scratches with a touch up pen.... Not nearly noticeable since it dried.... It was just a awkward situation. Especially at 6:45 Friday night. You know the fine line between letting it ride, and snapping. Not sure if pics would show at this point.

Was just doing it as a joke. Did the exact same thing for my rims, except I just used black magic marker.:D