MD Integrated Tail Light and rear Signal Issues

prozach1000

Reaction score
Visit site
Just picked up a Motodynamics integrated tail light, with stock rear signals for the time being. Problem is when connected to the corresponding left and right rear turn signals, the tail light blinks on the left side even with the indicators turned off.

I have searched for a solution but seem to only find the solution of making sure the wires are wired correctly. But even when i switch the left and right wires the tail light begins to blink on the right side.

I have also installed a relay, as i intend to install led headlights and flushmounts. Any ideas would be much appreciated. I am mechanically inclined but, am an ape in regards to electrical...already blew a fuse.

Pics for illustration:

Last edited:

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Simple question: left turn signal isn't switched on, is it? Probably not, just had to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

prozach1000

Reaction score
Visit site
If only, but no that is part of the problem. The tail light blinks even with the turn signal turned off. But yeah lol good to make sure ha.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have a steady flash rate when this is doing the malfunction, it sounds as if the flasher unit is some how pathing. By pathing I mean current is somehow flowing into the tail lamp assembly. There should be no path whatsoever if the turn signal switch is in the off position. There is one other possibility for this and that is if the 4 way emergency flasher switch to be engaged. Is it? If there is a path, unplugging the 2 wire flasher relay should stop the flashing.
Please let us know what you find. :)

prozach1000

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the input, tried unplugging the relay but still continues to flash at a steady rate. The hazards were not in the on position though. Will continue to troubleshoot.

Jacknife91

Rubber Otaku
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the input, tried unplugging the relay but still continues to flash at a steady rate. The hazards were not in the on position though. Will continue to troubleshoot.

You may try and contact Motodynamic. They may be able to help you because it's possible there's a defect in their tail light unit. If you haven't already, I strongly suggest contacting them.

prozach1000

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah will have to call them, been messing with it all day. Plus have to call about my HID head lights too lol. Thanks for the help though

Jacknife91

Rubber Otaku
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah will have to call them, been messing with it all day. Plus have to call about my HID head lights too lol. Thanks for the help though

Not a problem. Sorry I'm not too much help. My installation went fine, the only pain which you probably noticed too was putting the light inside the tail light housing.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
All depending on the configuration/combination of your set up others have had issued with the integrated tail lights being effected by paths and states of the circuitry on the bike. For example: Some flashers are positive 12 vdc to the lamp they are lighting but when the signal is in the off sequence that wire is at negative 12 vdc or ground instead of just and open circuit. This can provide continuity that the integrated tail light is not designed to work with. When these combinations first started showing up on the forum I suggested using diodes to eliminate possible back current flow and it proved very successful.

here's a link to a problem with a combination of light where diodes solved the problem. If you have a question about what diode and direction of the component, please ask. There is a chart on post number 45 on in the thread. :)

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/41815-integrated-turn-signals-brake-lights-3.html