M/C upgrade suggestions

redFazer

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Everyone
I am a long time lurker and first time poster. I need some help picking my next ride.

I have an 2006 FZ6 that I dropped last year (a dumb case of carelessness and target fixation). It was low speed (under 30 mph) crash with no major injuries. But the shop did a crash estimate and gave me a $5500 parts and $2500 labor quote. Even if I were to ask them to just stick to the parts that actually need replacing (they listed everything that had a scratch) - the fork, headlight assembly and other assorted parts would push it past 2500. So I am going through insurance and the bike will get totalled. Hopefully I can buy it back from the insurance and fix it up.

I have a 9 day trip to Colorado coming up in one month and I have to now buy a new ride and get the luggage cases for it. The FZ6 was perfect for me, except for the alternator and wind buffeting over long distances. Since I am planning on doing more touring and would like some electronic farkles - I want to upgrade.

I keep coming back to Fz1 and the Super Tenere. I figure there must be other options as I feel that the FZ1 has too much power (and a smaller tank) and the Tenere is just too expensive. The BMWs are also attractive, but the price is a bit intimidating. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Here is what I am looking for.

1. At least 200 miles on a full tank of gas. Preferably a minimum of 40mpg and 5 gallon tank. (the FZ6 tank was close to perfect)

2. I would like to hook up a GPS, heater gear etc - so larger alternator than the FZ6 for sure. I had two batteries die on me due to Chicago traffic, until I upgraded to Shorai Lithium Iron.

3. Seat height comparable to the FZ6.

4. Neutral seating posture.

5. I use my bike mostly for commuting/touring. In terms of power, I loved the FZ6.Docile in town and stupid fast when I opened it up. For an upgrade I want something with a bit more torque, but pretty similar in terms of HP.

Thanks, Kal

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
A lot of guys here have upgraded to an FJR. I don't know all the specs, so I don't know if it meets all your needs, but it's something to consider. Everyone seems pretty happy with it.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Take a look at Suzuki Bandit 1250. Gets ~40mpg, has phenomenal torque, without FZ1's mental top end. Very comfortable too.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd be looking at a Suzuki Vstrom 1000! Perfect commuter, tourer, plenty quick, lots of torque (V-twin) and good fuel economy! Not to mention they are one of the best values in this category. :thumbup:

Suzuki-V-Strom-1000.jpg

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
As mentioned an FJR would be a good choice and you can find a used one. I would probably look into the issues that are known for the certain years.

Kawisaki Versys - I think this bike could fit the bill. It is upright with a similar seat height (I think it may be 1" higher) a peppy enough engine to give you a thrill but not quite as much as the Fz6. It could easily be loaded down with gear with it's low end torque. I dunno about the alternator.

Yamaha Fz1 - I dunno if you'd like this option from what you said. It is more power and the riding position/seat on a Gen II is more aggressive than a Fz6 in stock form. It makes for not the most comfortable touring bike in stock form. I have heard of people on the Fz1 forum who have upgraded their seats and put Givi luggage on and it works great for them touring.

Super Tenere - is an awesome bike, is expensive, not quite as much top end as the Fz6 but it was still a blast to ride.

Honda VFR800 - heard good things, have no experience

KTM 990 adventure/SM - super moto but you could set up to tour

Suzuki V-Strom - haven't ridden one, but like the look and that they can be set up to tour. One of the mechanics at my local shop has one and likes it a lot.

edit: the MPG on the Fz1 is not for you either. My best tank is 136.0 miles.

Last edited:

redFazer

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions so far. The V-Strom and the Versys look pretty interesting.

I don't think the FJR would work as it has too much plastic and it looks a bit bulky. I live in Chicago and lane filtering (it is illegal) is what keeps me sane during commuting. I rode next to a FJR and that thing is big. I do like light sporty bikes (relatively speaking).

I still don't want to walk away from my FZ6. It spoke to my soul. Oh well..

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I like the big Strom too. I sat on one a while ago for a bit... quite comfy. I can see myself riding that all day long. So many nice bike out there... just can't make my mind! The look of the FZ8 has been growing on me a lot lately. If I was doing a lot of long ride the Strom will be on top of my list but for the once or twice a year my FZ6R is already set up with hard luggage. So naked I should go... Probably all gonna come down to $$$.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Crazy thought, but why not get another fizzer? Sounds like you really liked it.

Moving on, the strom 1k, Triumph tiger (either size), ninja 1k (nice and upright compared to a zx10 and a plenty of torque power and luggage options for touring) all would be nice options...

As far as the Versys 200-250 miles per tank, think it has a 5.3 gallon tank I get 55 mpg regularly and lowest ive gotten was 48.

Keep us updated and if you have any Versys related questions, feel free to ask, I'm the resident Versys expert ;)

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeh sounds to me like the FZ6 fits the bill except for maybe the alternator problem which I would like to hear more about. I have a GPS hooked up was planning on heated grips does that not work out too well? What about if using a trickle charger?

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i would love to upgrade, but i have not found anything that fits the bill like the fz6.. i love being able to load up on gear in cases, get where i am going (mostly Adirondacks), then take everything off any use the bike with a more sporty approach... i wish that Yamaha would bring the fz8 but with a faring to the states.. otherwise i don't even see the point of upgrading!!!

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
The ktm 990 adv or smt is a great bike to tour or hustle on, might not suit on the mpg but you'll be grinning every time you ride it!!

Or maybe a Triumph Tiger, comes in a couple of different styles or for more touring the Sprint GT looks good but that might be a bit bulky for what you've already said.

Otherwise sensible option is the BMW F800GS, excellent mpg from what I've read and my mates one is still good over long trips and gives a few sports bike riders a run for their money on the twisty stuff.

Personally I wouldn't go for a FZ8, not a big enough jump from what the FZ6 already does IMO.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
i would love to upgrade, but i have not found anything that fits the bill like the fz6.. i love being able to load up on gear in cases, get where i am going (mostly Adirondacks), then take everything off any use the bike with a more sporty approach... i wish that Yamaha would bring the fz8 but with a faring to the states.. otherwise i don't even see the point of upgrading!!!

Fz1 ftw, you won't regret it. It's only 20 more hp than an Fz8, very similar frame geometry and ergonomics. 2013 suspension is identical to an Fz1. Fz8 just has a little less power but very close

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
The ktm 990 adv or smt is a great bike to tour or hustle on, might not suit on the mpg but you'll be grinning every time you ride it!!

Or maybe a Triumph Tiger, comes in a couple of different styles or for more touring the Sprint GT looks good but that might be a bit bulky for what you've already said.

Otherwise sensible option is the BMW F800GS, excellent mpg from what I've read and my mates one is still good over long trips and gives a few sports bike riders a run for their money on the twisty stuff.

Personally I wouldn't go for a FZ8, not a big enough jump from what the FZ6 already does IMO.

F800GT looks like a good option. A lot of grin factor. 90hp, 4 gallon tank at 55-65 mpg. I think we have a winner

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PInCT28k7rQ]BMW F800GT HAULING ASS ON MULHOLLAND - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Why not consider a Honda NC700X? It is getting pretty good reviews and even has a front-trunk that fits a helmet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Why not consider a Honda NC700X? It is getting pretty good reviews and even has a front-trunk that fits a helmet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Not sure a 6500 red line is going to soothe his soul... Nor the 3.7 gallon tank that sits under your arse... I've been wrong before though ;)

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure a 6500 red line is going to soothe his soul... Nor the 3.7 gallon tank that sits under your arse... I've been wrong before though ;)

But the NC700X is rated at 64 mpg.... That is well past 200 miles between fill ups.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
But the NC700X is rated at 64 mpg.... That is well past 200 miles between fill ups.

Fz6- 98 HP

Nc700x - 52 HP

commuter bike vs sport tourer

Good news is you can get the NC700 with an automatic gearbox ! Which gives you 48 HP!

The nc700 is the poor mans Versys, which is the poor mans triumph tiger lol, not sure I'd call it an upgrade from the Fazer

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Fz6- 98 HP

Nc700x - 52 HP

commuter bike vs sport tourer

Good news is you can get the NC700 with an automatic gearbox ! Which gives you 48 HP!

The nc700 is the poor mans Versys, which is the poor mans triumph tiger lol, not sure I'd call it an upgrade from the Fazer

I agree, it's not an upgrade if you are seeking more performance. If you are seeking a more fuel efficient and practical tourer...it would be an upgrade.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree, it's not an upgrade if you are seeking more performance. If you are seeking a more fuel efficient and practical tourer...it would be an upgrade.

Think he was saying he wants similar performance to the FZ, and I just don't think the n700 fits that bill.

If I were looking for an urban commuter bike though, the nc700 looks like its hard to beat as far as comfort, mpg and price... Think they need to make a performance version of the nc700x... That would pique my interest, that chassis with a sport engine in it has some real potential