Lubing Side/Centerstands

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
My stands have been a bit squeaky as of recently, so I decided I would lube them up. I was a bit unsure if taking off the spring would be an good idea. If I were to remove it, how easy is it to remove and put back on. And is there a special tool for the job? Ideally I want to remove both stands and get them cleaned and lubed up with fresh grease.

g8anos

Reaction score
Visit site
The springs are a pain in the ass to remove AND to put them on again ...

I wouldn't do that, if I were you. I am not aware of a special tool for this job, I did it with the usual tools most of us already have.

I grease them with WD-40 and clean them with a small brush and they look as good as new. Never heard a squeak or anything, after 6 years!

Just do this every-time you lube the other parts of your bike like your chain and your clutch lever etc and you'll be fine!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the above.

If you do have to remove the spring, stick several coins in between the coils (while the spring is extended) and wrap some tape to hold them. The coins will help keep the spring extended and a little easier to replace.

I personally would NOT remove the spring as it is a PIA.

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. I had a feeling it was going to be a pain in the ass to do, so it definitively isn't worth the trouble. Will just lube them while on the bike.

Last edited:

Grouse

Reaction score
Visit site
A quick spray of chain lub when you do the chain will stop any squeaks from starting.Also good for break and gear linkages.

Nobby

Reaction score
Visit site
With the right tool,removing the springs is easy.But you dont need to remove them to lube them:thumbup:

I also like the coin idea,Very clever;)

Last edited: